LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: College Chiors  (Read 2550 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

College Chiors
« on: March 28, 2006, 12:10:21 PM »
Anyone sing in there college chior (or use to)??
:)

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity
    • Let me know who you are & where you are from (lgm)

Re: College Chiors
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 12:24:17 PM »
I do, but it is very, umm, proper. So when we sing gospel songs, it is ummm, proper. YEAH, very proper. Matter of fact, we have a concert tonight and are singing 2 gospel songs along with classical pieces and it irks me that majority of the choir looks stiff and rigid singing them. I'm like where in the world is y'alls spirit?? The black people really stand out not only because of our color , but because we are the only ones movine...LOL and this is true!
"Prayer is the key. Faith unlocks the door."

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 12:26:57 PM »
I use to sing in my college chior but not for the right reason....uuuuggghhhh.... but thats in the pass now. :)

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity
    • Let me know who you are & where you are from (lgm)

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 12:44:02 PM »
I use to sing in my college chior but not for the right reason....uuuuggghhhh.... but thats in the pass now. :)

Hmmm...
"Prayer is the key. Faith unlocks the door."

kas

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 01:58:59 PM »
I am the lead musician for my college choir, and I sing when the Minister of Music needs me to. We have our 3rd Annual Gospel Explosion on Saturday, and some of the songs we're doing are...well...difficult. But through Christ, we got that! 8)

Offline Dansellew

• LGM Member
  • Hey I'm Danselle

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 04:40:10 PM »
I Sing in our gospel choir at school. i go to the University of Toledo, our choir is geting alot better, this is our second semester since about three years ago when the choir was shut down. we have the movement and the sound but we do lack annointing in some areas. it's hard for me to breakthrough sometimes cause it's alot of spirits in the air. everybody is not saved but those who are wouldn't you think their spirits should be enough to minister to the other souls and the audience as well? or not?
..."Oh That You Would Choose Life"...Deut 30:19

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 07:45:42 AM »

Offline theunit

• LGM Member
  • morning glory

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 03:29:22 PM »
I WAS THE MINISTRY OF MUSIC FOR THE GOSPEL CHOIR AT WILLIAM SMITH HOBART IN GENEVA NEW YORK I GOT CALLED TO ROCHESETER NEW YORK TO DO MINISTRY HERE...I MISS IT VERY MUCH ...SOMETIMES THEY HAVE ME TO COME DOWN ITS LIKE GOING HOME TO GRANDMA HOUSE...
THE UNIT

Offline MusiqB77

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/wutgodscallin4

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 04:55:36 PM »
I direct the gospel choir at my school. I also play the keyboard for the choir.
Seven days without prayer makes one weak.

Offline jpeevy

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 02:42:25 PM »
Wow.  College gospel choir eh?  Yeah, been there, and it was TONS of fun.  I am an alumni of Prairie View A&M University in Texas.  It's an HBCU, so needless to say, that plus the fact that we're in the south.....we hit it pretty hard!  The name of the ministry is Baptist Student Movement (BSM) and it was founded on the campus of Prairie View in 1935 by a baptist minister that wanted to give baptist students the opportunity to worship and fellowship together.  Now over 55 campuses across the nation have a BSM on their campus. 

Our BSM "chapter" for lack of a better term consists of a choir, and praise dancers.  Every year each campus would come together in a central location for what's called the Baptist Student Union retreat.  It's in a different city every year for about 3 days, 2 nights.  One of the biggest aspects of it that everybody looked forward to was the choir fellowship competition.  There are 3 divisions; small, medium and large.  We usually compete in the large division with, a little under 200 people.  Unfortunately, I hear that's not the case this year.  Something or someone has caused a decline in membership.  Haven't heard what actually happened, but you know how that goes.  When it comes to gospel choirs......strange stuff happens.

Offline saxandkeys

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "You ain't gotta go nowhere...I gotchu!"

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 02:52:53 PM »
When I was at Virginia State University, I guested on the horn with the Gospel Ensemble.  I was too young and wild to appreciate the experience at the time.  I wish I had a chance to do it again.
I'd rather be imperfectly inspired, than to be perfectly entertained...

Offline naga0035

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 04:43:57 PM »
University of Minnesota and St. Olaf College offer gospel choir as a credit class. I used to sing in the former. U of M gospel choir has 250 members now and most of them are white students(90%).
I did a ethnographical research for these two choirs. Why so many white people want to sing gospel? What are black people thinking about it? What are the problems teaching gospel in higher institutions?
I am writing my thiesis based on this research now.

I also teach gospel choir and black music history in a state University in Japan during the summer.

Offline Vangelist

• LGM Member
  • No Joy, No Strength *II Timothy 4*

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 02:44:33 PM »
I've been singing in my college choir college for 3 years and like 2Klub we are very proper. Its an HBCU, the world renowned children of William Levi Dawson, The Tuskegee University Golden Voices Concert Choir. We sing spirituals, anthems, and gospels. Unfortunately, for me the gospels are very safe. They tend to stick closer to the classical side of singing like D. Lawrence and R. Smallwood. Now sometimes we get away from that, but our director still wants us to sing it with our classical voices. Yeah right, I think he knows that if he give me the lead in a gospel its over.

BTW, we just recorded a CD of spirituals mostly by W.L. Dawson. So if you don't know who that is you should buy one. They're $20 ( hey, we're a strugglin' choir). Songs like Anyhow, I want Jesus to walk with me, and The Word was God.
I won't take nothing for my journey now. No turnin' back, no turnin' back.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

Re: College Choirs
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 08:00:06 AM »
I am currently singing with the Enlightened Gospel Choir of Virginia Tech.  There I serve as the full-time choir director and teacher of new songs.  I am somewhat hindered because I do not play the keyboard (in the proces) but it makes it all the more better to be able to teach without knowing how to play.  That way when I do get better, it'll come easier.  I love choir directing more than anything.
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline pumpitump

• LGM Member
  • hi!

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 04:41:25 PM »
i use to sing my college choir. i was given a scholarship in choral music outta high school.
im blessed

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 06:32:09 PM »
I decided it's been almost a year since we started it.  We've gained some new members since then.  :)
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline silky

• LGM Member
  • at the Cross.......

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 02:30:29 PM »
I decided it's been almost a year since we started it.  We've gained some new members since then.  :)

;D, I used to sing in my college choir and like 2Klub's  and Vangelist's choir, my choir was proper or chorale style.
WHEN YOU CAN'T, GOD CAN
Pages: [1]   Go Up