LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Daily Practice Routines  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

Daily Practice Routines
« on: August 15, 2007, 12:59:29 PM »
I am very interested in hearing how my fellow bassists practice...what routine if any do you have when practicing?

For myself I spend about 15-20 minutes just warming up, doing scales, modes and basic excercises that cover the whole neck...then I am usually working on music for church or one of the gospel groups I play for. I feel that I need to spend more time on things like chording, perfected my slap/pop technique, and even additonal licks and patterns but I am not quite sure how I should go about it...should I use some written material already printed from a book or website?

Please share your routines and suggestions....I am trying to go to the next level and I feel like I have a little bit of a glass ceiling over my head and need a push...

May God's Grace & Mercy smile upon you!

Offline Musicman_00

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Don't think! Feel!"-Bruce Lee

Re: Daily Practice Routines
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 01:21:52 PM »
Well I normally practice different techniques. You can do the same riffs but with a different technique it sounds totally different. I play a 5 sting. I may go to a 6 later and I need a 4. But let's stick w/ the 5. You can practice the open-hammer-pluck technique. and I'll abbreviate the rest. OHHP, OHPP, OHOP etc.

I also practice drum rudiments on my bass w/ the notes.

Ex. paradiddles, double paradiddles, triplets, ratamaques, flams

You can also try a trick I learnd as a drummer and play in a different time signature. But don't do it for too long lol. For instance, if the song is in 4/4, play in 5/4 or 7/4 just to try something crazy. 6/8, 6/4 use your imagination.

The double thumb technique (Vic Wooten) is always fun to practice as well as double and triple plucking. It takes a while to develop.

2 handed tapping is really fun to practice although it is rarely used in Gospel but it's all just practice. And practice everything slow and musically. It does no good to know a technique but not use it musically. Just use your imagination.

Oh I almost forgot. When you practice these techniques, ex. paradiddles, each time you hit or pluck a string change notes. Thumb, pop, thumb(2x), pop, thumb, pop (2x).

I hope I was able to help. When I get a decent web cam I'll post some stuff on youtube.
"Music is a language. The bigger your vocabulary, the more options you have to choose from."

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 01:36:38 PM »
Thanks musicman, that is what I was looking for..I want to start incorporating some other techniques and learn from others such as yourself.....I will digest this and implement accordingly....

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
Well I normally practice different techniques. You can do the same riffs but with a different technique it sounds totally different. I play a 5 sting. I may go to a 6 later and I need a 4. But let's stick w/ the 5. You can practice the open-hammer-pluck technique. and I'll abbreviate the rest. OHHP, OHPP, OHOP etc.

I also practice drum rudiments on my bass w/ the notes.

Ex. paradiddles, double paradiddles, triplets, ratamaques, flams

You can also try a trick I learnd as a drummer and play in a different time signature. But don't do it for too long lol. For instance, if the song is in 4/4, play in 5/4 or 7/4 just to try something crazy. 6/8, 6/4 use your imagination.

The double thumb technique (Vic Wooten) is always fun to practice as well as double and triple plucking. It takes a while to develop.

2 handed tapping is really fun to practice although it is rarely used in Gospel but it's all just practice. And practice everything slow and musically. It does no good to know a technique but not use it musically. Just use your imagination.

Oh I almost forgot. When you practice these techniques, ex. paradiddles, each time you hit or pluck a string change notes. Thumb, pop, thumb(2x), pop, thumb, pop (2x).

I hope I was able to help. When I get a decent web cam I'll post some stuff on youtube.

I spend most of my time working on music for the upcoming week or event...Right now the group I am in is getting ready to perform at the House of Blues on the 26th so my practice is mainly on going over music..I never really had a general practice routine, it has been mostly learning and working on songs to perform so this will allow me to focus on my technique and craft to be able to perfect my playing

Offline Musicman_00

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Don't think! Feel!"-Bruce Lee

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 01:41:48 PM »
no problem bro anytime. I all most forgot something. Remember that simplicity goes a long way. Complex things can cause confusion.
"Music is a language. The bigger your vocabulary, the more options you have to choose from."

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 03:25:01 PM »
i generally dont have a practice routine myself. what i usually find myself doing when i pick up my bass is first start with 4 frets somewhere in the middle of the neck and have 1 finger for each fret and just do different combinations. first i usually go 1-2-3-4 on each string from the B to the G (standard tuning) and then back down, switching from that to 4-3-2-1 on each string and build up speed (that really helps for those fast shouts) then i shift down 1 or 2 frets and repeat, continuing shifting till i have my index finger on the 1st fret (which really helps your stretch because the frets are farthest apart at the 1st fret). then i try to make it musical and do some scales and attempt to solo. then i do some slap stuff (tryin to just groove without a particular song in mind) and i work on technique and accuracy. also working on that double thumb technique, which i cant do like he does (maybe a combination of smaller string spacing and fat fingers) so i try to analyze what im doing to get the technique in a way that works for me. same with the open-hammer-pluck.
then i start learning a song. then when i heard that one particular section looped so many times that it starts to sound like gibberish, i get distracted start playing along with something i hear on tv (commercial, band on a tv show, etc) then i get back to the song because its fresh again. (that works my ear training like crazy) after i feel i got the song, i play it along with the song, then again without it on. then break down certain parts to see what different fills, riffs, etc. i can play there.

i never actually thought about this before i just do it. now thinking about it i seem to do things almost the same way or very similar every time. i guess i do have a routine.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 04:10:12 PM »
i try to change up my routine each week. Sometimes i'll pop in some cd's and play along to the most complex or grooviest songs for a warm up.  I spend time on scales in all 5 positions.

in the beginning i do the 1-2-3-4 warm up with a metrodome and i increase the BPM's by 5 until i can go as fast as i can.  Then i go back down 20bpm's and focus on technique trying to play smooth, less tension, and i even practice in front of a mirror to work on my expressions, my stance, posture. 

At other times i'll record a certain lick or groove, and i have other people critique of what they think.  I try to find only the ones that will critque, and i'll try to critique myself and then focus on correcting my mistake.

At other times, i just want to play and work on my improv skills and creativity.  the first thing i do is think of a beat just in my head and i will replicate it and then improv by coming out the box.  I found that this helps a lot when trying to play spur of the moment or with a band that does a lot of changes and you just need to catch own.

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 04:45:29 PM »
Floaded & DFW..I do some of those things as well..cool...I am also going to take some other stuff from your routines and incorporate...I am feeling it now....can't wait to get home to fine tune it....I am trying to build up some consistancy in particular on days that I don't have to really worry about working on a particular song. I was watching a DVD of Nathan East.."Business of Bass" video..it is great if you don't have it...he does some samples and has a few live performances with 4 Play but mainly he talks about being a bassist and a musician and about practicing..I have heard most guys like him say that when they are working on specific music or on the road gigging, they stray away from normal practicing because they spend so much time perfecting the songs..

I am going to create a practice schedule and put some times to each excercise.....I will be starting to give bass lessons in another week at the music go round and I want to be able to give my students some solid foundations on practicing....

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 06:25:49 PM »
My practice routine is structured but unstructured lol.  I have a little more time than most, so I split mine up between morning and evening.  AM is for technique, and PM is for music.  What ever time I have is cut in half mostly, between scales/modes/etc and the other half technical exercises (an hour=30min each.  30min=15 min each, etc).  I have a good DVD by Todd Johnson called Technique Builders.  In the PM the first half is free improv then it depends on the day.  Mon-Wed-Fri PM I do play alongs with music (gospel, jazz, funk, whatever).  Tues=Thurs-Sat I do Real Book or music notation.  These are always subject to change, but I like this because I know what Im supposed to be doing (instead of fumbling) but I can have variety and still cover alot.
Praise Him!

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 07:53:08 PM »
My practice routine is structured but unstructured lol.  I have a little more time than most, so I split mine up between morning and evening.  AM is for technique, and PM is for music.  What ever time I have is cut in half mostly, between scales/modes/etc and the other half technical exercises (an hour=30min each.  30min=15 min each, etc).  I have a good DVD by Todd Johnson called Technique Builders.  In the PM the first half is free improv then it depends on the day.  Mon-Wed-Fri PM I do play alongs with music (gospel, jazz, funk, whatever).  Tues=Thurs-Sat I do Real Book or music notation.  These are always subject to change, but I like this because I know what Im supposed to be doing (instead of fumbling) but I can have variety and still cover alot.

Unfortunately for me, AM is work, PM is napping from a long day of work... my work scheadule is this: after work I go to L.A. Fitness to do weights, cardio, racket ball or whatever, then go home, take about 30 minute nap. Wake up with just enough energy to practice until bed time.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 08:49:54 PM »
Certainly the weekly rehearsal is an opportunity to practice.  I record the rehearsal using a garden variety cassette recorder.  On Sunday mornings I practice with the tape.  The other 5 days I may pick up the bass and just play, different runs, different riffs, the same runs and riffs in different positions on the neck, for 15 to 30 minutes.

I also have Ed Friedland's "Building Walking Bass Lines" CD and I occasionally work on that.  Need to do a lot more as I am supposed to be playing with my college's Jazz Ensemble this fall!

Offline Bassics

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 10:12:25 PM »
I practice about 2 hours a day.  I start with various finger exercises(sometimes they are scales), then i practice on different style elements (hammer on's, pulloff's, bends, shakes, etc....) and a song using them, then i practice on my slap techniques and a song.  And, at least once or twice a week i also practice Ed Friedland's "Building Walking Bass Lines).  This is my routine Monday thru Thursday, Friday's i cheat a little by doing half of that.  Saturdays i'm back to my routine and focusing on my weaknesses, and on Sundays i test myself on the areas i've practiced all week.  Then i try to progress on.       
I practice mainly with the following books:  Bass Guitar Secrets, Building Walking Bass Lines, and Funk Bass.

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 12:03:06 AM »
I practice about 2 hours a day.  I start with various finger exercises(sometimes they are scales), then i practice on different style elements (hammer on's, pulloff's, bends, shakes, etc....) and a song using them, then i practice on my slap techniques and a song.  And, at least once or twice a week i also practice Ed Friedland's "Building Walking Bass Lines).  This is my routine Monday thru Thursday, Friday's i cheat a little by doing half of that.  Saturdays i'm back to my routine and focusing on my weaknesses, and on Sundays i test myself on the areas i've practiced all week.  Then i try to progress on.       
I practice mainly with the following books:  Bass Guitar Secrets, Building Walking Bass Lines, and Funk Bass.

Thanks for that insight, I'm taking notes....believe that!
Pages: [1]   Go Up