LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Secular Music  (Read 17672 times)

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

Re: Secular Music
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2007, 11:46:55 AM »
Not saying that an unsaved person can't overcome things... but they don't have that same power as someone with the Holy Ghost within to overcome things.

I agree wholeheartdly
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2007, 12:58:03 PM »
Not saying that an unsaved person can't overcome things... but they don't have that same power as someone with the Holy Ghost within to overcome things.

That's the fundamental difference.  We have the birth of a new nature.

This new nature, which is born in the image of God, now contends with the old nature which opposes God.  Paul speaks of this contentious war in the book of Romans, especially in Chapter 7.

That's why the, "all things being permissable, but not expedient" quote mentioned above can be used on both sides of this discussion.

We have the power avaliable to us, but decisions and choices can inhibit us from seeing the benefits of having that power, displayed in our lives.

*** I want to re-iterate that I don't intend to say that a believer who plays, listens to secular music, is not saved.  I am saying that I believe it is a hinderance to the growth process, as are many other things ***

Offline bopeuph

• LGM Member

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2007, 01:27:01 PM »
Back on the other track of this topic, what are peoples' feelings about secular music that have a more neutral standpoint, like ones without lyrics or ones that don't promote either way.  In my classical and jazz gigs, I meet a lot of people (usually rhythm section players, go figure) who are very Christian.  I'm in a country band at the moment to help me out financially (never thought I'd be there), and they all talk about God.  The singer was actually gospel musician.

Just wondering what thoughts are on this.

Nick

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2007, 01:32:44 PM »
Back on the other track of this topic, what are peoples' feelings about secular music that have a more neutral standpoint, like ones without lyrics or ones that don't promote either way.  In my classical and jazz gigs, I meet a lot of people (usually rhythm section players, go figure) who are very Christian.  I'm in a country band at the moment to help me out financially (never thought I'd be there), and they all talk about God.  The singer was actually gospel musician.

Just wondering what thoughts are on this.

Nick

I think that the problem lies when there's a message that goes against god.  I.E 99% of rap (don't get mad at me, blame the rappers who ryme nothing but utter garbage) and i'd say about 60% of todays r&B.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2007, 01:44:33 PM »
I think that the problem lies when there's a message that goes against god.  I.E 99% of rap (don't get mad at me, blame the rappers who ryme nothing but utter garbage) and i'd say about 60% of todays r&B.
+1

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2007, 05:29:01 PM »

+1

Offline jmain

• LGM Member
  • Gator Nation

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2007, 11:46:12 AM »

+3  It's also what's in the 'spirit' of the music.  You can get some bad vibes (not talking emotional evocations of times being happy or sad) from instrumental music.

I also agree that we can take the music back and use it to glorify Him. 
Eph 5:15-20

Offline bopeuph

• LGM Member

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2007, 01:05:52 PM »
You can get some bad vibes (not talking emotional evocations of times being happy or sad) from instrumental music. 

Reminds me of learning of the "diablo en musica" in theory class.  Any other theory buffs remember that one?

Nick

Offline Vangie D

• LGM Member
  • zawmar drumsticks 'play.minister.groove.'
    • www.youtube.com/user/vangied

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2007, 05:15:07 PM »
yeh in a sense i agree, music is beyond what it sounds like and what's being said, and now also has alot to do with who's singing it or playing it, and the things that can be released into their music, personally to prevent any contamination of my mind (bearing in mind things such as this can happen without realising or intention), i prefer to stay away from secular artists' and music.

Put it this way, many people in the church have a big problem with secular/wordly artists taking our old school church songs' rhytms/ melodies/ tunes and adding whatever they want to it. would it be right for us to bring melodies, tunes etc from secular music into the church, being aware of the lyrics and lifestyles of the artists? It's a tricky one.

What do you guys think?

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2007, 10:24:51 PM »

Put it this way, many people in the church have a big problem with secular/wordly artists taking our old school church songs' rhytms/ melodies/ tunes and adding whatever they want to it. would it be right for us to bring melodies, tunes etc from secular music into the church, being aware of the lyrics and lifestyles of the artists? It's a tricky one.

What do you guys think?

As i read this I IMMEDIATELY had a flash back of a time when I was in a friends car.  He popped in his latest Cd which happened to be "G-Unit" and there was a song that was a Mahaliah Jackson song.  It was obviously her singing church music and on top of that sone of those cats were talking about smoking blunts, shooting guns at people, and selling crack cocaine.

I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing and got furious.  Maybe i'm a old head now....lol, but that stuff has no type of place on this earth.  If you want to do your nasty music then fine go do it, but don't dare include a song with a holy appeal in it in your mess.  i'm getting heated just thinking about it again.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2007, 06:34:51 PM »
OK, here's something else to consider.  Kirk Franklin has made a career of taking secular music and making it religious.  Is that OK?

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2007, 09:20:19 AM »
OK, here's something else to consider.  Kirk Franklin has made a career of taking secular music and making it religious.  Is that OK?

First of all, your statement is completely untrue.  His whole career is not based on taking secular music and making it religious.  We just put more focus on his songs that do that, but that don't define his career.  He has a career based on his gift for music, period.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2007, 10:13:35 AM »
First of all, your statement is completely untrue.  His whole career is not based on taking secular music and making it religious.  We just put more focus on his songs that do that, but that don't define his career.  He has a career based on his gift for music, period.
You're right, of course.  Add to that the fact that what most artists release as singles or put on albums are more a reflection of the record company that the artists' own wishes, but that's another thread for another day.

My question stands, nonetheless.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2007, 10:18:15 AM »
O.K., so your real question is:  Is it o.k. to have a career of taking secular music and making it religious?
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2007, 10:55:18 AM »
O.K., so your real question is:  Is it o.k. to have a career of taking secular music and making it religious?
That would hard to do unless your pockets were really deep (i.e. paying out a ton of royalty fees)! In addition, I don't think it's any artist's intention to make a career of using music from secular songs! Or just using other folks works to use as your own! I do believe the intent is to draw folks in who don't normally listen to gospel music by giving them something familiar! I also believe it's intention is get the music played on regular radio so it can reach more folks because honestly, what's the % of people listening to gospel radio as opposed to secular radio? But that's a whole 'nuther thread!

"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2007, 10:58:21 AM »
I need to know what others think:  I listen to all types of music from gospel, r&b, rap, country, soft rock and rock...not for the words but for what the bass player is doing.  I try to learn as much as possible so I can incorporate what I hear into my playing.  Now if I hear a bass line that I like (from a secular musician) I'll put that into some of the gospel songs that I play at church.  Do you guys do that or am I wrong for doing such...just curious.
But back to the original poster's question........................
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2007, 05:18:47 PM »
Not exactly.  Just sampling whether or not there's any opposition to doing that.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2007, 05:22:24 PM »
That would hard to do unless your pockets were really deep (i.e. paying out a ton of royalty fees)! In addition, I don't think it's any artist's intention to make a career of using music from secular songs! Or just using other folks works to use as your own! I do believe the intent is to draw folks in who don't normally listen to gospel music by giving them something familiar! I also believe it's intention is get the music played on regular radio so it can reach more folks because honestly, what's the % of people listening to gospel radio as opposed to secular radio? But that's a whole 'nuther thread!

+1.  I suppose that there's no right or wrong answers to this or any of the corollary questions raised in this thread.  I do appreciate the spectrum of viewpoints.  The more we discuss the more we learn.  Good commentary from everyone!

Offline laj528

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Preach the word!
    • H.O.P.E. Ministries

« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2007, 09:04:36 PM »
Okay I bootlegged off this topic with a poll.

http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,42342.0.html

Let the votes begin! 
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord (Heb12:14)

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2007, 02:37:55 PM »
I voted 'not me', I wouldn't play secular music as a job/career, and I wouldn't go borrowing licks and riffs from any song, it depends on the nature of the music.  For example, I was watching a video on youtube of Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten jamming together to "School Days" (Awesome!!!).  A tune and performance like that I wouldn't mind learning a bit from.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up