LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Secular Music  (Read 17652 times)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Secular Music
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2007, 05:31:42 PM »
I voted "who cares" because it is a personal choice, not universal for everybody.  Don't worry about what other folks is doing, sweep around your own front door.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Redy2bUsed

• LGM Member
  • The Son don't chill....

« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2007, 09:15:08 AM »
I vote yes music is music....I know half of ya'll gonna stop speaking to me...But allow me to explain....I will play "secular music"...I already do....But...I won't play just any ol' thang...feel me...Nothing explicit...nothing real sexual....But songs that speak of Family, Love, Unity...and making it from the bottom to the top...such as cats like Anthony Hamilton, Donnie...I don't see a problem....So I guess My vote is Yes....But music is not always music....can ya'll dig it? ;)...We still cool...or should this be my last post on this site.... :D
Bunk a shout.....How you livin'??

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2007, 09:26:26 AM »
I voted Yes, but not in Church! That should never happen!
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2007, 09:58:07 AM »
I vote yes music is music....I know half of ya'll gonna stop speaking to me...But allow me to explain....I will play "secular music"...I already do....But...I won't play just any ol' thang...feel me...Nothing explicit...nothing real sexual....But songs that speak of Family, Love, Unity...and making it from the bottom to the top...such as cats like Anthony Hamilton, Donnie...I don't see a problem....So I guess My vote is Yes....But music is not always music....can ya'll dig it? ;)...We still cool...or should this be my last post on this site.... :D

I think we're on the same page.  I just wouldn't take a gig playing it, but I'd play around with such songs to learn bits and pieces from them.

Offline mr.dj

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Coko and Mae

« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2007, 10:08:11 AM »
I voted "who cares" because it is a personal choice, not universal for everybody.  Don't worry about what other folks is doing, sweep around your own front door.

This is how I voted.  It is a personal choice I love some ol'school R&B and when I hear something I will play it. 
"Even when you're justified, be dignified."  Cornel West

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2007, 10:13:28 AM »
Music is "Music."  I have a deeper appreciation of music because of my music classes I took in college.  It opened me up to so much, that I can choose what genres of music I can and will play.  My vote is "Yes" I'll play secular music, but I'll choose what songs to play.  Ex.  I'm playing at a wedding on June 16, and I know that I'll be playing songs that would not be sung during "worship service."
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2007, 10:30:27 AM »
Voted not me.

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
  • http://myspace.com/bassin4god
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2007, 12:34:28 PM »
I voted "Yes Music is Music" Being a christian means knowing "What is appropriate for worhship" and what is not appropriate. As my pastor has said "When you become a saved christian the sinful things that you have done in the past are not pleasing or comfortable to you as a born again christian. It doesn't feel the same anymore, it does not bring you pleasure anymore. Because your soul knows it is not of God." No I would not play anything vulgure ,disrespectful or disruptive to Gods praise. But I would use what the devil ment for bad, for good. Just MHO on the matter. :)

My other point is most true worshippers of God will not know what you are playing except that it moved then to a higher level of worship and praise. If the worshipper knows that you are playing a few licks from a old Parliment song then they truly were not worshipping God. I simply remind them that it is not about the music it is about the Praise. Music is just another form of worship and praise. JMHO.  :)

"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2007, 03:22:01 PM »
As far as the orig question, I dont think it would be cool to play a distinct bassline dedicated to a song on the secular front.  But if you pull some licks or feels, then I dont see an issue.
Praise Him!

Offline chrismc101

• LGM Member

« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2007, 11:21:58 AM »
I, like many others, do listen to all forms of music. Let me describe all in my cases: gospel, R&B, jazz, blues, and hip & hop. This is a topic that can be talked about til the wee hours of the morning with some on this side of the fence and some on the other and the others just blowing in the wind. For myself, if it's not gospel, yes, i do hear the lyrics, but I'm NOT focused on those lyrics and those lyrics of the secular song does not affect me. The groove, the baseline, the pocket are the things that I'm focused on. I'm notr thinking bout bumping & grinding, nothing sexual, drug related or anything during worship service cause I'm there to do just that WORSHIP. But with the quick pluck of a 3 finger chord or slight riff and I've given some brightness to a hymn, chant or what have you that we maybe playing.

There are some Christian musicians who can't listen to other forms of music cause they may be influenced. That just means their young in their walk with Christ. If that is the case; then don't listen to things that may influence you. But I think there are musical applications that we can learn from different types of music and that can be implied in our techniques without diluting our praise or worship experience.
CeeMc
"bassN4eva"

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2007, 03:03:26 PM »

There are some Christian musicians who can't listen to other forms of music cause they may be influenced. That just means their young in their walk with Christ. If that is the case; then don't listen to things that may influence you. But I think there are musical applications that we can learn from different types of music and that can be implied in our techniques without diluting our praise or worship experience.
To politefully disagree, I don't think you could any further then the truth then you are right now.  This is the exact thing that the enemy wants us to think "if i know God nothing can affect me". 

Remember the saying "1 bad apple spoils the bunch".  Whether that be a person, a song, or an act, it most definitely applies.

Just because you're not "focused" on the lyrics doesn't mean that your subconscious isn't picking them up.  You might not feel the affects all at once, but be sure that it's getting picked up.  Have you ever wondered why people know commercial songs by heart and never sat down and studied them?  same thing applies.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline ministerofworship

• LGM Member
  • Wifey

« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2007, 09:45:09 PM »
I listen to different genres of music as well.  The thing to consider, as earlier said is "conviction".  Do the lyrics contaminate you spirit.  There are some artists that I just don't listen to because of their message.  Theory doesn't change whether country, gospel, classical, r&b.  Just listen to positive lyrics.
Musically yours.

Offline djmajestic

• LGM Member

« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2007, 10:51:02 PM »
My position is similar to many but my reasoning I believe is a little different.

For over 20 years I was one of the most successful dj's in the midwest. All those years I was playing secular music, I did it for the fulfillment of the flesh. But now I believe that God created all things in this world to give Him glory. So why shouldn't I take the bassline that He allowed to be created and "flip the script" so that He would receive the glory.

Before someone does this thought, they should have prayed deeply about their motives for doing so. The Pastor and Minister of Music should also be in agreement.
Look where He's brought me from!

Offline Frankly747

• LGM Member

« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2007, 10:05:01 AM »
Just a minute;  Christians creating Love music ?  Now why does that sound like an Oxymoron ?  Are we talking Agape Love or Eros Love ?  Coz I have a hard time picturing Eros Love songs done by christians.  Check this out;  The song "Amazing Love" by Graham Kendrick, is a fine example of an Agape Love song.  It goes like this

Amazing Love, Oh what sacrifice
The son of God, given for me
My debt he paid and my death he died
That I might Live X2

Now, here's is a simple Eros Love song I just created (for the purpose of this discussion).  I am assuming that this is written by a true christian, perhaps to his wife, and released publicly into mainstream along with secular RnB.

Evertime I close my eyes I see your face
Your lovely beautiful smiling face
The flowers in the garden call your name
And the trees in the field clap their hands
The mountains can't help but lend their voice
And the winds join in and sing of your beauty
Heaven is here; heaven is finally here,
In your loving arms, past your warm embrace
Heaven

Now, tell me what you think of that.  Truth is, i'm a budding songwriter and I once had an idea to write a love song, for the christian folk but I felt that it would be inappropriate.  I look forward to getting married and writing my wife all the love songs on earth, coz that will be my wife and it will be right before God and I would feel Zero shame or guilt.  However, releasing it to the public....now that's something else.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2007, 10:35:48 AM »
Just a minute;  Christians creating Love music ?  Now why does that sound like an Oxymoron ?  Are we talking Agape Love or Eros Love ?  Coz I have a hard time picturing Eros Love songs done by christians.  Check this out;  The song "Amazing Love" by Graham Kendrick, is a fine example of an Agape Love song.  It goes like this

Amazing Love, Oh what sacrifice
The son of God, given for me
My debt he paid and my death he died
That I might Live X2

Now, here's is a simple Eros Love song I just created (for the purpose of this discussion).  I am assuming that this is written by a true christian, perhaps to his wife, and released publicly into mainstream along with secular RnB.

Evertime I close my eyes I see your face
Your lovely beautiful smiling face
The flowers in the garden call your name
And the trees in the field clap their hands
The mountains can't help but lend their voice
And the winds join in and sing of your beauty
Heaven is here; heaven is finally here,
In your loving arms, past your warm embrace
Heaven

Now, tell me what you think of that.  Truth is, i'm a budding songwriter and I once had an idea to write a love song, for the christian folk but I felt that it would be inappropriate.  I look forward to getting married and writing my wife all the love songs on earth, coz that will be my wife and it will be right before God and I would feel Zero shame or guilt.  However, releasing it to the public....now that's something else.

There's a big difference between a lyrics that talk about love and lryics that talk about "I'll shoot yo' moms in the face n!gg@/ then I'll go on da' corner and sell some snow"

A VERY big difference. 

I don't think that there's anything wrong with "secular music", but when the message is promoting something that is against God's way then we have a problem.

I used the worst case scenario above, but I hope it gets my point across.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2007, 03:02:27 PM »
There's a big difference between a lyrics that talk about love and lryics that talk about "I'll shoot yo' moms in the face n!gg@/ then I'll go on da' corner and sell some snow"

A VERY big difference. 

I don't think that there's anything wrong with "secular music", but when the message is promoting something that is against God's way then we have a problem.

I used the worst case scenario above, but I hope it gets my point across.

+1

Or baby I wanna get at you, and }{explicit sexual act, etc. etc.}{

Certain things we should not subject ourselves too.. No matter how strong we think we are in the Lord.

Offline jmain

• LGM Member
  • Gator Nation

« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2007, 03:31:01 PM »
Just because you're not "focused" on the lyrics doesn't mean that your subconscious isn't picking them up.  You might not feel the affects all at once, but be sure that it's getting picked up.  Have you ever wondered why people know commercial songs by heart and never sat down and studied them?  same thing applies.

I totally agree with this.  Even when you don't listen to the lyrics, I think the music is infused with the meaning behind the lyrics - with the unseen.  The 'spirit' of the music is expressed and received.

Music was created by God.  The Bible is full of examples of angels singing his praise.  David, 'a man after God's own heart', was a musician.  We gotta take it back! ;)

I don't listen to as much secular music as I used to.  And what I do, I want it to have a positive vibe and message.
Eph 5:15-20

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2007, 06:14:32 PM »
All music can be positive if that is what you make it to be! I respect all those who won't listen or play secular music. Music has always been a positive force for me! It kept me off the streets! It kept me out of trouble! I will not listen to or play negatively influenced music and not because it may 'influence' me but just because it has negative intentions! I have enough faith in my character that I can ward off any attempts to fill my soul with evil! Just because it's secular doesn't mean it can't be a joyful noise!
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2007, 07:46:37 PM »
Lets attempt to connect some dots.

1.) Even as a regenerated, born again believer, I still have a carnal nature, that if not kept in check will burst
     forth and rule, me.  This is why Paul says, he deals with his flesh harshly.  Read Romans 7
     a.) This flesh is extremely hostile towards God
     b.) Our hearts are desperately wicked above all else, and will attempt to do the will of God if, it benefits   
          the flesh.
     c.) Outside of who we are in Christ, through the Holy Spirit, we are incapable of being good, standing   
          strong, and living for God.

2.) Because of this nature, I have to be cautious of what it is fed, that's why negative music, should be 
    avoided as Christians.  We can speak of being strong in the Spirit until the cows come home but the 
    scriptures are clear.  Read Ephesians 5.  Its basically speaking about not having certain sinful things even
    be named among you, it goes on to say, that its a shame to even speak of those things.

5:12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

a.) 1 Corinthians 15:33 also tells us to not be deceived, but evil company corrupts good character.

3.) Knowing 1 and 2 if I partake in certain things that feed this nature, then I will reap the reward of sowing
     into this nature.

This is the reason I say don't listen to secular music, not because of elitist pseudo-spiritual ideology, but because certain things set us up as Christians for failure.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2007, 09:18:53 PM »
For those who opposed secular music "all together," would you and your spouse listen to love songs?  This is meant for those who are married and partake in marital activities. ;D (I hope I don't cross any boundaries with this, if so, remove this immediately!!!.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up