LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Secular Music  (Read 17360 times)

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

Secular Music
« on: March 28, 2007, 02:27:33 AM »
I need to know what others think:  I listen to all types of music from gospel, r&b, rap, country, soft rock and rock...not for the words but for what the bass player is doing.  I try to learn as much as possible so I can incorporate what I hear into my playing.  Now if I hear a bass line that I like (from a secular musician) I'll put that into some of the gospel songs that I play at church.  Do you guys do that or am I wrong for doing such...just curious.
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"

Offline BassAddict

• LGM Member
    • Myspace

Re: Secular Music
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 08:15:05 AM »
I say it depends, I personally only listen to a handful of secular artist (India Arie, some Alicia Keyes,and maybe one or two others in that vein) the reason why is that I have found that music is the most influential thing probably on this earth and eventhough we may try to listen just for musical content the lyrics will get through also.(I dont even know if it is possible to listen to a song and not hear the words.) And that is the thing that separates Gospel and secular, the message that is being presented, so I personally believe that there are enough artist out there to learn from that I dont have to fight through their lyrics to learn from. I also believe that we as the people of God shouldn't feel that we need to look to the outside to become better musicians because through the power of the Holy Ghost and the anointing that places on the ppl who serve him, we are able to become even greater than what we see those in the secular world as being. And to be honest, a good amount of ppl that we count as great musicians that are in the secular arena all start by saying "Well, I started playing/singing when I was in church..."

Bottom line, you have to do what feels right in your spirit, I personally wouldnt advise that you go to the extreme of playing Jay-Z during alter call :D ...but you just have to be wise in what you do because playing for the Lord is not a concert its a ministry.
Acts 4:12

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 09:00:48 AM »
Depends on how you use the music.  If it's appropriate and fits the mood at the time, then go for it.  Music is just that, music.  But, just like everything else, there is a time and place for it.

As far as listening to other types of music, that's totally up to you.  If it don't condemn u to listen to a certain song or whatever, then go ahead.  I like all kinds of music, except maybe country.  So, i'm always listenin to and adding in different stuff.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 09:54:19 AM »
I listen to (and learn from) all types of music but I do avoid lyrically negative songs out of principle! The current state of Urban Gospel borrows heavily from the R&B/Funk genres. And even the modern, non urban, Praise & Worship borrows from Rock stylings. Music, in general, is very powerful form of communication! I don't think it matters where it comes from but what you do with it, IMO!
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 10:48:09 AM »
I personally listen to all kinds of music to build my skills as well. I don't listen to things gangsta rap, heavy metal, or harsh lyrics because music does affect your subconcious(i think i spelled that right).  If the message is degrading, then I won't listen to it.  Actually, a lot of this hip hop music today, is crap.  All they've done is sampled someone elses music, hit 2 notes on a keyboard, and made a hit.  I love listening to old school music, when they used full bands.  James Brown using 2 bass players, James Jameson laying it down with Motown, Charlie Mingus on the upright, all the old school cats.  Those are real musicians to me, so I listen to them.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 10:50:45 AM »
I like simple music.  When it get's too complicated or when people try to do too much in one song, i turn it off.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 12:46:22 PM »
...music can be universal...but certain bass lines are associated with specific thoughts which are not condusive to worship!....For example...playing the bassline to Brickhouse by the commodores might not be prudent....playing the bassline to "money money" by the OJays at collection time might be funny!...A person has to think before they play....oh...I am in a church service and what I play may hinder another persons spiritual experience....

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 02:19:30 PM »
...music can be universal...but certain bass lines are associated with specific thoughts which are not condusive to worship!....For example...playing the bassline to Brickhouse by the commodores might not be prudent....playing the bassline to "money money" by the OJays at collection time might be funny!...A person has to think before they play....oh...I am in a church service and what I play may hinder another persons spiritual experience....

My best friend once played the bassline from "The Humpty Dance" while the choir was doing "It's Gonna Rain."  It fit so perfect that I thought he was a genius for even thinking to do it.  This was back in 1990 or so.  He had just bought a 5-string and he went crazy with the new range that he had available to him.  I have yet to hear anything more creative.
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline trymone

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 03:42:41 PM »

well said......kurt franklin does it all the time. He would even take the whole song and change a few words keeping the same music and everybody's singing it in church. "OOOH oooH. oooh oooH oooh!"

Offline fatbaby78

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 07:10:44 AM »
In my opinion, what you can handle as a individual someone else may not be able to.So its something you have to be secure in and/or with. I listen to all and feel the same way(far as hearing the words). Let no one deprive you of what you strongly feel about your music.
"Its in Your Praise"

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 11:34:24 AM »
I have strong views concerning this topic, unfortunately it won't come across too well on a message board. 
Just know there is an awesome power behind music.

You have to be careful what you allow into your hearing.  Just like, you have to guard what you say, and see.

Now I am not saying, if you listen to secular Music, or Rap or whatever; you're evil or anything that extreme.  But
know that something that seems as insignificant as the songs we listen to, can hinder our spiritual growth.  So if you
listen to music, take some of the advice that was given here and be wise about what you listen too.  There is nothing
outside of the scope of what we are capable of doing as believers, but we have to weigh, if they are beneficial or a
hinderance to our walk.

If you find no fault in what you are listening too, take it to the Word, and Prayer, then make a decision.

Offline ZAMOR

• LGM Member
  • on the 8th day god said let there be Bass players
    • http://http://www.learngospelmusic.com

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 11:57:42 AM »
its overwhhelming the way arranagement of songs come about and when it played in church it becomes a problem.

I had an experince where for our sunday night celebration service when the list of songs where reggae..
we practice as it was a reggae style, but I listen to alot of old school reggae and the drummer changing the beat from what we had practice. I Played the bass line for a song called jah send mi come a jah send mi come lawd by a popular dance hall artist by the name of ninja man. Then the next song we jesus name so sweet and i played another popular bass line which was from shabba ranks hit want p....ny which at the end not be concious of how people would react it the second bass line was not as appropriate even my wife had me by the ear after church.. but later I played a cd by a popular group here in toronto and they sample all the bass line I had used and now its not  a problem..
WHAT I RESPECT I WILL ATTRACT

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 02:14:02 PM »
Just to add to what was all ready said.  It's good to learn different styles of music to be well rounded as a musician but, you have to be careful about what you play and when you play it.  Everything that we do has spiritual ramifications (we wrestle not against flesh and blood, ....but principalities and powers and spiritual wickedness in high places). 

Music for most people is associated with certain experiences so, playing a secular bassline may take somebody back to time in their lives that they are still struggling to recover from.  To make it more plain: It may take somebody's mind to a sexual experience or a depressing event in their lives....etc.  That individual may leave church feeling worst than when they came and not even know why.  And while to you it may be a tight groove to throw in, to somebody else it's a diversion from what they came to church for. 

So, as ministers through music, we have to always be mindful of the fact that we are ministers first and musicians second.

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 04:34:55 PM »
Just to add to what was all ready said.  It's good to learn different styles of music to be well rounded as a musician but, you have to be careful about what you play and when you play it.  Everything that we do has spiritual ramifications (we wrestle not against flesh and blood, ....but principalities and powers and spiritual wickedness in high places). 

Music for most people is associated with certain experiences so, playing a secular bassline may take somebody back to time in their lives that they are still struggling to recover from.  To make it more plain: It may take somebody's mind to a sexual experience or a depressing event in their lives....etc.  That individual may leave church feeling worst than when they came and not even know why.  And while to you it may be a tight groove to throw in, to somebody else it's a diversion from what they came to church for. 

So, as ministers through music, we have to always be mindful of the fact that we are ministers first and musicians second.

+1

Some stuff you just need to leave out in the world, no matter how good is might sound.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 04:42:56 PM »
+1

Some stuff you just need to leave out in the world, no matter how good is might sound.

+2

Offline laj528

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Preach the word!
    • H.O.P.E. Ministries

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 05:27:40 PM »
Humm it seems as if this topic surfaces time after time and creates an atmosphere of great debate.

I have a personal view on the topic that does not sit well with many on LGM. In fact I have been attacked for stating my personal opinion about my views on this matter from some of those who I respect on LGM.

The funny part is that I will advise upfront that this is my conviction and my belief.

I am just sharing a different view, a different thought and yes maybe a different belief but thats what I love about LGM it is a place of great diversity.

Enough of that, as you may have already guessed I am of the belief that secular music is for secular folk.

I don’t buy it I don’t purposely play it on my radio or TV.

Now I must be honest and say that it is impossible to get totally away from it. It is on every commercial, TV show, office and cars at stop lights. (Thus the word purposely above)

I just choose not to subject myself to any undue influences that I feel taint my spirit. When the old man died and all became new….. the old man died.

All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. (1 Cor 6:12)

IMHO

Pastor Jackson
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord (Heb12:14)

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 10:00:30 PM »
I avoid negitive lyrics all together. If it's not church music it is most likely instrumental. Or lyrics that don't say much of anything.

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 02:37:54 AM »
My next question:  How do ya'll feel about some of our favorite bass players (Andrew Gouche) playing in churches around the country and still playing and touring with secular artists?
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 05:40:58 AM »
My next question:  How do ya'll feel about some of our favorite bass players (Andrew Gouche) playing in churches around the country and still playing and touring with secular artists?
I personally don't have a problem with it.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 08:09:13 AM »

I tih nk about it every now and again, it it bothers me a lil then I get over it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up