LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Secular Music  (Read 17366 times)

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

Re: Secular Music
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 08:36:16 AM »
I listen to all genres of music. I try to get the instrumentals cause that is what I really want to hear. Music is music it just comes down to the lyrics over it. Be blessed
I'm destined for greatness!!!

Offline laj528

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Preach the word!
    • H.O.P.E. Ministries

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 08:38:45 AM »
It concerns me but I know that everybody is not the same nor does everybody hold the same convictions.

Now this is not to say that he or others that play both are not gifted (talented). They most assuredly are.

In short let’s put it this way I would not compromise my music, voice, possessions or my life for all that I am belongs to God.

Peace
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord (Heb12:14)

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 09:41:58 AM »
If one is a professional musician first and foremost and his/her livelyhood depends on their musical gifts, should they give up their livelyhood? In my opinion, I say no! I look at it the same as folks who work regular jobs away from church!

I know this can open up a huge debate and I'd hope it wouldn't go there! I apologize in advance for my liberal views!
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline Redy2bUsed

• LGM Member
  • The Son don't chill....

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 10:09:44 AM »
+1

Some stuff you just need to leave out in the world, no matter how good is might sound.

Listen fam...ultimately, its your call...now I also listen to everything...I love music....from Hamilton....to Maroon 5....but God is the creator of all things....and that bass line that you hear on Anthony Hamilton's album...just as an example, God created that...Now its true somethings need to be left in the world....but good music...is good music...if its wrong....God will convict you....

thats just my opinion....
Bunk a shout.....How you livin'??

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 10:44:58 AM »
To Cordney's first question:  the answer depends on the song in question.  Also, consider that bassists rarely play alone so the keyboardist, drummer, choir, director, minister of music, et al., may have something to say about your choice.  What we play has to fit in with what everybody else is trying to do else it becomes disruptive or distracting.  If you play it in rehearsal and the reaction is negative, then you have your answer.

To Cordney's second question:  it is not for me to judge what someone else does with his or her talent.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 10:48:43 AM »

Listen fam...ultimately, its your call...now I also listen to everything...I love music....from Hamilton....to Maroon 5....but God is the creator of all things....and that bass line that you hear on Anthony Hamilton's album...just as an example, God created that...Now its true somethings need to be left in the world....but good music...is good music...if its wrong....God will convict you....

thats just my opinion....

Not to get off topic or anything, but Maroon 5 is off da chain wit they music.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Redy2bUsed

• LGM Member
  • The Son don't chill....

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 11:00:25 AM »

Not to get off topic or anything, but Maroon 5 is off da chain wit they music.

Word lil Bro....Word.
Bunk a shout.....How you livin'??

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 11:35:36 AM »
2nd Question:
As you probably can see by now where I stand on the topic.  I couldn't justify in myself, how I could play in a smokey bar, "Song Title #1: about Fornication, Sex, or whatever" and setting the mood, for some folks to go home and commit sin, on a Saturday Night.  Then wake up early sunday morning, and play "Song Title #2: about living a life pleasing unto God"

No more than I can justify, speaking at a Planned Parenthood, on the topic, of premarital Sex is natural, and healthy if you use protection, on a Saturday evening, and then waking up early sunday morning, and Preach a Sermon about holiness.

With that said, I think some of the secular/worship musicians; would be so much more than "Gifted", if they took the Levitical mindset of what their purpose is as a musician.  They would move to a realm where they can play, and demons would tremble, deliverance would surely come, when they played.  My 2 Cents.

I also wanted to point out, that "God is not the creator of all things, in a literal sense."  To say God created the bassline is to also say, he created the lyrics, and we know that many lyrics oppose the will of God.

Offline laj528

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Preach the word!
    • H.O.P.E. Ministries

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 11:54:31 AM »
I couldn't justify in myself, how I could play in a smokey bar, "Song Title #1: about Fornication, Sex, or whatever" and setting the mood, for some folks to go home and commit sin, on a Saturday Night.  Then wake up early sunday morning, and play "Song Title #2: about living a life pleasing unto God"

No more than I can justify, speaking at a Planned Parenthood, on the topic, of premarital Sex is natural, and healthy if you use protection, on a Saturday evening, and then waking up early sunday morning, and Preach a Sermon about holiness.

With that said, I think some of the secular/worship musicians; would be so much more than "Gifted", if they took the Levitical mindset of what their purpose is as a musician.  They would move to a realm where they can play, and demons would tremble, deliverance would surely come, when they played.  My 2 Cents.

I also wanted to point out, that "God is not the creator of all things, in a literal sense."  To say God created the bassline is to also say, he created the lyrics, and we know that many lyrics oppose the will of God

I concur that you can’t purposely taint yourself and then present yourself as a sacrifice to God. This has been my position before in a discussion very similar to this one.

I still maintain that one must decide if they are a professional musician or a minstrel called for the solemn service for God. The two are polar opposites (ordained ministry vs. profession) Sanctified in its meaning is to be set aside for the sole use of God. 

Okay, before I get all the replies with statements like playing secular music is no difference than working any other job.

Let me say that it may be for some but as for me I won’t work in a bar, drive a beer delivery truck, and cultivate tobacco or DJ in a club. So profession is what you make it.
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord (Heb12:14)

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 12:05:11 PM »
Ok, so where does an Andrew Gouche (and many others) fit in in this scheme? My analogy was directed at the more professional musician and not the weekend warrior, bar band type of musician.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 12:37:09 PM »
I respectfully add John Patitucci and Abe Laborial to my question as to where do they fit in the grand scheme?!

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
  • http://myspace.com/bassin4god
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 12:57:46 PM »
While your at you can also add Debra Killings and Wayman Disdale.
"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline laj528

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Preach the word!
    • H.O.P.E. Ministries

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2007, 01:17:07 PM »

Ok, so where does an Andrew Gouche (and many others) fit in in this scheme? My analogy was directed at the more professional musician and not the weekend warrior, bar band type of musician.

My dear friends in Christ,

They must do what they feel is right for them. It is impossible for me to speak on their relationship with God. I can only tell you about why I don’t and won’t play secular music. I know that I can’t compromise regardless if it is in a club or recording a bass line for a secular artist. (let not your goods be evil spoke of).

Now, if the question is am I saying that they are going to hell for playing secular music?
Well that is not my place but if the question is do I think that it will hinder a persons witness and their anointing then the answer is yes. IMHO

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 01:20:53 PM »
My dear friends in Christ,

They must do what they feel is right for them. It is impossible for me to speak on their relationship with God. I can only tell you about why I don’t and won’t play secular music. I know that I can’t compromise regardless if it is in a club or recording a bass line for a secular artist. (let not your goods be evil spoke of).

Now, if the question is am I saying that they are going to hell for playing secular music?
Well that is not my place but if the question is do I think that it will hinder a persons witness and their anointing then the answer is yes. IMHO

Well said. I'd like to hear more thoughts by the more convicted LGM members.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 02:14:32 PM »
 Wow I come back from lunch, and a few more posts.  I agree, with .... laj528.

I would also like to ad, that music is quite spiritual.  I can hold a job in the world (secular realm), but its up to me to decide if it would hinder my spiritual walk. Most secular jobs don't affect the people you come into contact with like music does.  Also, you can't seperate yourself from the music you play, that's why so many artists, say... "They put their heart and Soul into a project."

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2007, 03:38:38 PM »

I also wanted to point out, that "God is not the creator of all things, in a literal sense."  To say God created the bassline is to also say, he created the lyrics, and we know that many lyrics oppose the will of God.

I disagree with this.  God created all things, but the devil just took what God created and distorted them for his use.  He passes that on to man to try and get back at God.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2007, 06:43:57 PM »
I look at it the same as folks who work regular jobs away from church!

That can be apples vs. oranges. 

For examply, my job as a manager with AT&T doesn't directly conflict with my life as a saved person.  I manage my crew, we test circuits, etc.  However, if you get saved and you're working somewhere that directly conflicts with your new life... for example, you might have been a bouncer at a strip club or something like that.  Something that promotes things that go directly against the Word and go against what our lifestyle as saved people should be.  Do you think you can life a life of holiness and continue working there?  I say no! 

Same for musicians... if you're playing for acts who's music is not spiritually condusive, they may be cussin' or have a lot of sexual connotations in their songs... you're putting yourself in a bad spot, especially when you put confidence in your flesh and say "oh I can handle that".

Just my $0.02.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2007, 08:15:03 PM »
Well, regarding an Andrew Gouche and a few others that were mentioned............why are they still being held in such high esteem if they are not following the convictions some of you have expounded on? And regarding the workplace........does one REALLY know what co-workers lifestyles are? Lastly, how does one minister if they separate themselves from those who need ministering?

Not trying to fuel the fire! Just asking real questions and looking for honest opinions.

Offline laj528

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Preach the word!
    • H.O.P.E. Ministries

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2007, 12:03:16 AM »
Well, regarding an Andrew Gouche and a few others that were mentioned............why are they still being held in such high esteem if they are not following the convictions some of you have expounded on? And regarding the workplace........does one REALLY know what co-workers lifestyles are? Lastly, how does one minister if they separate themselves from those who need ministering

Not to come across wrong but who is it that is holding them in such high esteem and for what?
If they are respected as talented musicians well they have earned that!  However does that qualify them as a good Christian witness?

I have heard of many secular bass that are talented but I find it hard to think of them as Christians seeing their open behavior is not conducive to that of follower of God.

Now for them not following my convictions, well I would not expect them to.
An individual first must have a desire to look into the depths of God and his call for a holly people.
Then one must examine themselves through the eyes of God with a spirit to change anything about us that is not pleasing to Him. This is a door that most desire to leave shut.

Now for the job place and the co-workers well I will tell you that I work with the public in government and I am around all types many who have very questionable lives.
However; I don’t allow their actions to make me act like them.

True words, we can’t be so secluded that we can’t be seen by the world or speak to the world. That would be detrimental to our ability to witness.

What I would like to say is this I can walk in this world without becoming like the world. Unfortunately I can’t see myself playing on both sides of the fence. That is my conviction.

Peace

Offline CKH

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2007, 10:39:36 PM »
I listen to all types of music, as u said not so much as for the words but the techniques that r used in those songs. I don't think it's anything wrong with that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up