LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Secular Music  (Read 17359 times)

Offline laj528

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Preach the word!
    • H.O.P.E. Ministries

Re: Secular Music
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2007, 08:58:54 PM »

Okay, just for argument sake:

Is the greatest love of all loving yourself or God?

“The greatest love of all Is easy to achieve Learning to love yourself It is the greatest love of all”
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord (Heb12:14)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2007, 09:52:30 PM »

“The greatest love of all Is easy to achieve Learning to love yourself It is the greatest love of all”

::)

church folk

::)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2007, 09:15:19 AM »

I'm paraphrasing here, but Jesus said that we should love the Lord our God will all our heart and soul, and then we should love our neighbor as we love ourselves.

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2007, 03:31:44 PM »
True, and add that along with the context of the song, how you gonna love your neighbor if you dont love yourself?
Praise Him!

Offline godsbassman2000

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2007, 06:59:51 PM »
Part of the reason we have a "101 denominations" :D, is because there are gray areas of scripture which people interpret differently. Yes, there are gray areas in scripture. But, if anyone knows of a scripture that addresses "secular music" please post chapter and verse, I would like to read it for myself. No interpretation, please.

Earth, Wind & Fire, Dramatics, Marvin Gaye, Enchantment, Minnie Ripperton, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder and many more. "Bassist; James Jamerson, Nathan Watts, Willie Weeks, Chuck Rainey, Bob Babbit". Since I've been learning to play bass, this music even sounds different or should I say Better. I believe it will always be a part of my life.

P.S. The Jackson 5 Third Album & Maybe Tomorrow has some awesome basslines!!!!!
"You can't glorify God and yourself at the same time"

Offline bass_mann1

• LGM Member
  • May God continue to guide my heart and hands

« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2007, 06:37:13 PM »
This is only my opinion, God created music, man is the one that put words to it, If it fits in the song, I use runs from all types of music, if it's music I listen to it, as long as the bass is nice
Life is:
God, Family and Music

Offline bigneil

• LGM Member

« Reply #166 on: June 11, 2007, 10:07:40 PM »
With people sayin we shouldn't play secular music in church you are really saying that we shouldn't play music at all because 99% of the songs you hear have secular music in them. John P. Kee is noted for being the first to put R&B in gospel music. In the song Rain on Us, Tony Russell has a bass solo that comes from a secular song. On tye tribbett's victory, the song starts out with horns playing. If I'm not mistaken that horn section(the music) was taken from Kid and Play, another secular group. I could go on and on, but the point is music comes from God even if you choose not to use it to glorify him. But with us being the warriors for Christ that we are we must take music and us it for what it was intended to be used for.
I must fight with my praise.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2007, 10:32:27 PM »
the problem is that some people group secular (meaning not gospel) as one big group being of Satan or something like that. we need to stop generalizing everything to the extreme. if thats the case then we shouldnt even be playing bass guitar at all because the instrument was introduced as something to be used in secular music.

and yeah there are gospel greats, but even they all learned from the greats who were secular musicians. is it to say we cant slap on our bass in church because Larry Graham started that and he wasnt a gospel musician? No walking bass lines? That started in blues and jazz. No using 70% of my basic techniques because a secular musician taught me by teaching me secular songs.

The thing about music is its unlimited, but its limited at the same time. There are only 12 notes (fretless people get a bit more inbetween stuff) so any note we hit is in some secular song out there. There is no such thing as a gospel 2-5-1 progression as opposed to a secular 2-5-1 progression. Its just what it is. Should we trace every song and its parts back to its origin to tell if something secular was used, and if so we cant learn that song?

The thing is this, I don't think you should be using basslines that will take a listeners mind off of God and His worship and turn their focus to something of the world. U cant be in the middle of an annointed praise and worship atmosphere and play a line from Biggie. because somebody is gonna be like "yo thats biggie" and now their mind is off of God and focused on something or someone not of God. As a bass player its your responsibility to be aware of this. your job to help promote the atmosphere of worship. any bassline that goes against that job is a certified no-no
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

opeoluwa

« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2007, 10:15:16 AM »
hello everyone,this is actually my first time writing on dis site but my cousins and i av talked and prayed about it and wot i feel is dat anything dat doesnt glorify God shouldnt be partaked by christains. I know people say its just music but think about it,when satan was in heaven he was d head of d 'music department' and d bible says 
dat dere is no repentance of gifts.This means he still has d talent for making good music and uses it to glorify himself.

Again the influence of music can be seen in this generation.Violence,sex e.t.c....these are mostly d themes in secular music today and since music is conscious as well as subconsciously and above all spiritual,it has taken over d minds of our youths and has had serious effects on our society and d world we live in.I hope this doesnt offend anyone's views.God bless y'all.

Offline nickjrnz

• LGM Member

« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2007, 06:16:12 AM »
 ;D
hey so who gets the 'dibs' on the chord progressions, solo notes that you may here in a metal band yet those same notes are played in a worshipful solo. etc... LOL
look @ the is this giving GOD the glory thinking of the big picture.
Also be careful not to put God in a box...

love you all...peace...

Nick

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #170 on: July 04, 2007, 11:19:30 PM »
the problem is that some people group secular (meaning not gospel) as one big group being of Satan or something like that. we need to stop generalizing everything to the extreme. if thats the case then we shouldnt even be playing bass guitar at all because the instrument was introduced as something to be used in secular music.

I likes that.  I been trying to get that point out for a while.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline trsmooth

• LGM Member

« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2007, 05:19:09 PM »
i myself listen to all kinds of music......its all how you apply it to your playing. lots of musicians say its a bad influence, but if you're grounded in tha word of god and in gospel music you can play anything. thats like an artist trying to paint with one brush........the more music you know, the better overall you become.  i think of playing other genres as a job, but when i play church, i am about gods work!!!!!!! you never want to limit yourself to one type of music thats just my opinion.........

Offline Joshorgan

• LGM Member
  • Watch what you think. Mean what you say.

« Reply #172 on: July 06, 2007, 11:10:59 AM »
We really NEED TO END THIS THREAD because everyone is going to biased to their own views. ;D It's great conversation though. I for one just listen to gospel. And to the guy that was talking about TYE tribbett. THis guy is original. He has done things that NOBODY has thought of musically. With most gospel music I can listen only once and Pick it up immediatley. I have VERY good relative pitch but not quite perfect pitch. THIS guy makes me scratch my head a little bit and I actually have to work for about 10 minutes to get his songs. He makes up most of his breakdowns. I for one KNOW FOR A FACT that TYE TRIBBTT DOesn't listen to secular music anymore. He said that he used to but GOD told him that he was promoting another kingdom so now he just listens to Gospel.  NOt knocking anyone that does listen to secular music. That is just my take on it. BE blessed Ya'll  :)

Offline jlc4703

• LGM Member
  • PC3X & PC3 in studio
    • Promised LAN Computing, Inc.

« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2007, 11:42:30 AM »
Going all the way back to the original poster -

One of the great composers and musicians of all time was J. S. Bach. Johann wrote that everything he did was for the glory of God. A LOT of the musical themes that he used in cantatas and as a church organist were melodies that were being played at the time in the local beerhall (a true German, he saw nothing wrong with beer, as long as it was not in excess, that is the German culture).

Before being saved, I was into complex music (such as a lot of Bach and Mozart) and musical groups like Yes, Chicago, Santana, and the Moody Blues. For a time after being saved, God had me listening to only Christian music and His Word. I even threw out all my collection of secular music.

After a time, He has allowed me to go back to SOME of that music, but not all. I like most genres of music, except the ones that are focused on killing, negativity, gangsta, whinin', "cryin' in my beer," and the bubblegum pop music that tries to sneak negative garbage into my head.

Each person needs to listed prayerfully to God for direction. As an example, some people can take a single drink of an alcholic drink - others would become an alcoholic. (Of course, one thing even worse is a 5'1" preacher that weighs 290 lb preachin' about the evils of alcohol without realizing that EXCESS in ANYTHING is SINFUL!).

People have brought up musicians who play both sacred and secular music. Same thing - each person needs to seek God for their direction. As a musician, your music should be a testimony of God's power and grace. Also, we are to be witnesses for God out in the world, we are not to just hide with other like-minded folk inside our churches! But our testimony pretty well goes down the drain if we cannot be distinguished from the unsaved.

I had the priviledge once of going to Israel - at the time of the Feast of Tabernacles. During that time, I met Christians from over 100 countries. There were many different ways of expressing worship, most of which I had never seen before. That trip really helped me get over thinkin that my way was the only way. Praise God, we have people from many different backgrounds and traditions in my local church - helps us see what is essential Christianity and what is needed diversity. Even in our local association, we have a great variation in styles of worship and music for worship. I just want to be listening enough to God to know when it is time to move on to the next type of praise.

Jim
Jim Cason
Faith is the substance of things not seen

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2007, 11:58:15 AM »
With people sayin we shouldn't play secular music in church you are really saying that we shouldn't play music at all because 99% of the songs you hear have secular music in them. John P. Kee is noted for being the first to put R&B in gospel music. In the song Rain on Us, Tony Russell has a bass solo that comes from a secular song. On tye tribbett's victory, the song starts out with horns playing. If I'm not mistaken that horn section(the music) was taken from Kid and Play, another secular group. I could go on and on, but the point is music comes from God even if you choose not to use it to glorify him. But with us being the warriors for Christ that we are we must take music and us it for what it was intended to be used for.

And to add on , even shouting music is came from secular music in the 1930's... it's a popular dance when they throw women around everywhere.  Just look at the movie Lion King.  LOL everything is connected to each other "the circle of life" ;D

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #175 on: July 07, 2007, 03:50:36 PM »
And to add on , even shouting music is came from secular music in the 1930's... it's a popular dance when they throw women around everywhere.  Just look at the movie Lion King.  LOL everything is connected to each other "the circle of life" ;D

EXACTLY, it's all in how u use the music that makes the difference. ;)
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

drummin4JC

« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2007, 08:09:23 AM »

Ramar

« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2007, 06:46:58 PM »
It totally depends on the individual's convictions and the spirit of the individual, and also the song that is being played... there are some people who play Lil Jon music in church with the intent of bringing the club atmosphere in the church. They might want to get the church "crunk", so they play that type of music... and the problem with that is that if you look around the church you will often see some of the young folks doing worldly dances, because that type of music teaches them that it is okay to do that... on the other hand... It can have advantages... I played R. Kelly's "happy people" in the church during offering.. and it helped usher in the spirit of joy in the church... people were gettin excited-both young and old... people began to praise God and get happy... and no--they weren't shaking their butts or doing worldly dances, they were standing and clapping, shouting and praising God- I played the song in the right spirit- I wanted to spread joy, besides the song is not vulgar at all, nor does it have any sexually explicit or offensive lyrics. But as I stated before it depends on the individuals convictions-- some people can do it without feeling bad, and some people's conscience wont allow it. Also we must be sensitive to others in the church... If there are some in the church that are offended, and you know that they are offended, then please don't do it-- you are sewing discord among the people, and that's not what Christians are to do

Offline Julie spivey

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2007, 10:15:29 PM »
If it gives God the glory ..use it
If it dont ....lose it! :D ;D :D
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up