LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tryna teach someone to play...  (Read 2100 times)

Offline DbKeysinCT

• LGM Member
    • http://

Tryna teach someone to play...
« on: March 24, 2007, 09:37:29 PM »
sup everybody i'm a M.O.M. here in hartford,ct

i'm not a drummer by any means i just know like 2 or 3 beats

theres a young man in the church about 10-12 years old who wants to play
the drums for the church, i show what i know every sunday after church does anyone have tips for me?

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

Re: Tryna teach someone to play...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 04:50:14 PM »
Rudiments.

Offline ojay16

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 10:22:53 PM »
Get him a qualified instructor...so maybe visiting a local music store..would be of some good....if you don't wanna go that route.,.....you being an M.O.M definattely should have a great deal of knowledge about music..should get him a metronome, practice pad.......drum books...dealing with rudiments...grooves...and excercices to work on his interdependence...which will also help him to learn to read music....oh dont forget technique dvds..such as dave weckl's back to basics....Tommy Igoe's groove essentials....etc...etc...Hope ive been of some help :)

Offline DbKeysinCT

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 10:32:48 PM »
thanx for all the advice so far, i've showed him a real simple praise beat for songs like what a mighty god we serve and a shout beat but the slower worship beats are harder because he can't in corporate the hi hat with the snare and bass drum without messin' up anytips for that?

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 12:39:26 AM »
Buy metronome. Use metronome. Set at 40bpm. Watch kid die of boredom. Watch kid get reborn in the light that is... pocket.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 06:52:32 AM »
Buy metronome. Use metronome. Set at 40bpm. Watch kid die of boredom. Watch kid get reborn in the light that is... pocket.

;D

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 03:38:25 PM »
When I was around 4 I had just gotten started out on the drums.. A guy used to torture me and have me play the same 4/4 beat over and over again.. I hated that but It paid off in the end because It built up my pocket presence alot more.. :)..I would also suggest rudiment books and some DVD's...Metronome would also be a good Idea like Fretai said... I set my metronome to like 35 bpm's and I built up my timing for praise songs when I was around that kids age...  :)
Richard

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 04:24:31 PM »
When I was around 4 I had just gotten started out on the drums.. A guy used to torture me and have me play the same 4/4 beat over and over again.. I hated that but It paid off in the end because It built up my pocket presence alot more.. :)..I would also suggest rudiment books and some DVD's...Metronome would also be a good Idea like Fretai said... I set my metronome to like 35 bpm's and I built up my timing for praise songs when I was around that kids age...  :)

Need I say anymore or should I just re-quote myself?

Yamboy... Fred will do. Keep it up dude.

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 10:41:34 AM »
Thanx Fred...I think..lol ?/?...  ;D
Richard

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 01:08:46 PM »
Look at my screenname.......add rudiments..............multiply by practice...........ad pateince squared...........you get a good drummer lol!  but for real..get him a metronome and some rudiments and all that. Get him some solid music to listen to so he can learn to apply all the stuff that hes praticin.  once he gets advanced enough let him play to a loop so he can get the feel of that because its kinda different than playin to a metronome
Keep It Funky

JFunky

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 04:12:27 PM »
...find him a drum instructor.

...go to the music store and pick up Getting Started and Groove Essentials by Tommy Igoe.  They come in a DVD package, 2 for $29.99 at Sam Ash.  For more Click Here.

...also look into getting the Commandments of R & B Drumming by Zoro.  If you buy the DVD, you'll have a 3 in 1 versus buying them seperate. ;)

...lastly purchase Chris Coleman's DVD.  Click Here

....break the "Tradition" and get him to take lessons from a qualified drumset instructor.

Offline eugenio

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 07:20:37 PM »
Groooves and listening

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 09:55:08 PM »
....break the "Tradition" and get him to take lessons from a qualified drumset instructor.

Point taken. ;D

B_XALTED

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 07:26:11 AM »
sup everybody i'm a M.O.M. here in hartford,ct

theres a young man in the church about 10-12 years old who wants to play
the drums for the church, i show what i know every sunday after church does anyone have tips for me?

I agree with the rudiments and the qualified instructor. try Claybourne Drum Instruction, its on Seneca Rd in West Hartford... their number is 860-205-6673... I believe they teach all styles of drumming.

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 07:27:14 AM »

I'm not sure if you guys caught this portion of DbkeysinCT's post prior to pressing the reply button.  This should have been an integral part of determining what you should suggest (or, should have suggested) for the aspiring drummer. 

How could a non drummer/percussionist know the proper way to teach and develop a sound rudimental vocabulary?  There are many more questions that I could pose, but I believe that you all get the point that I am conveying here. 

The best advice given on this thread is locating a qualified (key word - check his credentials) drum instructor. 
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Rjthakid

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 09:30:31 AM »
Aspiring Organists seek established Organists for mentorship/lessons.

Aspiring Keys players seek established Keys players for mentorship/lessons.

Far fewer aspiring drummers seek established drummers for mentorship/lessons.  The above average ones have....That's why they're above average.   ;D

Why?  Because there's this perception that playing the drums is really very easy in comparison, and that playing the drums is simply no more than learning different..."Beats" (*ugh*).

Once you learn every rudiment (and not just LEARN them but make them muscle memory) in your hands, then try to break them up over the kit, you see just how technical the instrument is.

I've moved over to the Organ now, and we have a young drummer (about 8 ) whose mother takes him to receive professional drum lessons.

He's very very CLEAN for an 8yr old.   ;D

JFunky

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 12:32:41 PM »
Aspiring Organists seek established Organists for mentorship/lessons.

Aspiring Keys players seek established Keys players for mentorship/lessons.

Far fewer aspiring drummers seek established drummers for mentorship/lessons.  The above average ones have....That's why they're above average.   ;D

Why?  Because there's this perception that playing the drums is really very easy in comparison, and that playing the drums is simply no more than learning different..."Beats" (*ugh*).

Once you learn every rudiment (and not just LEARN them but make them muscle memory) in your hands, then try to break them up over the kit, you see just how technical the instrument is.

I've moved over to the Organ now, and we have a young drummer (about 8 ) whose mother takes him to receive professional drum lessons.

He's very very CLEAN for an 8yr old.   ;D

...very, very true.
Pages: [1]   Go Up