LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Daily Devotional - A Shadow Has No Substance  (Read 232 times)

Nakia518

Daily Devotional - A Shadow Has No Substance
« on: March 29, 2007, 10:16:42 AM »
Thursday, March 29, 2007

A Shadow Has No Substance
Bishop Keith Butler

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

The shadow of death is taken from the shadow representing darkness and gloom; it is figurative of a severe test or trial. However, my definition of a shadow is this: a shadow has no substance.

Once you are over the fear, you can walk through a shadow. The only thing that produces a shadow is when something is between the light and the surface or else there would be no shadow.

Many times, we bring on the shadows in our lives because we put something between God and ourselves. It may be him and her between you and God. It may be family or friends between you and God. It may be fear between you and God. Whatever it is, a shadow is produced.

Now let me remind you that a shadow has n o substance. It may be bigger than the object, but it can't do anything to you. Satan's ploy is to make the test or trial that you are dealing with bigger than life itself, so he tries to cast a shadow. He wants you to believe that there is no way around the shadow. He's wrong. When we get out of the way and allow the light of God's glory to shine on the situation, that shadow will disappear.

The Lord is your Shepherd. His light will remove the shadow of tests or trials in your life, but you have to get rid of what's between you and God.

The Shepherd is your protection. "...thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." The rod was used to beat off wolves that tried to snatch the sheep. The staff was used to lead the sheep back in the right direction. The staff had a crook on it that the shepherd used for sheep that strayed away. The shepherd would put that crooked end over the sheep's neck and gently guide him back to the fold.

The Shepherd will guide and lead you. You may not know where you're going or how you're going to get there, but when the Holy Ghost is leading you, you can relax under His protection.

I tell you there is comfort in knowing the Holy Ghost is leading you. Spend time with Him. He will bring you out of the shadow of tests and trials in your life. You don't have to fear any evil that comes against you. Remember: it has no substance.

Scripture References: Psalm 91:1-16; 107: 10-16; Isaiah 35:4-10
Pages: [1]   Go Up