LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar Playing Update.  (Read 1338 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Guitar Playing Update.
« on: April 02, 2007, 08:35:16 AM »
Well, its been two weeks since I started "trying" to learn to play guitar.  I still cant play a song, buuuuttttt, I am learning some chords.

The thing that is getting me is be able to strum and change chords smoothly.  I feel I have no coordination, but hopefully it will come to me this week.  Pray for me. :)
:)

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Guitar Playing Update.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 10:39:36 AM »
4HISGLORY.I think you play keysboard right.How long did it take, to play a song on the keyboard.To play a song,on guitar in two weeks :o is moving,too fast.You are not ready to play Purple Rain yet ;D ;D Slow down ;) ;) 

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 03:30:10 PM »
Well, its been two weeks since I started "trying" to learn to play guitar.  I still cant play a song, buuuuttttt, I am learning some chords.

The thing that is getting me is be able to strum and change chords smoothly.  I feel I have no coordination, but hopefully it will come to me this week.  Pray for me. :)

that's good you're making progress.  I'm still learning all of these chord changes in these older gospel songs.  You'll be aight though.  Keep at it  ;)

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 07:39:52 AM »
i think we all pretty much started the same way... what worked for me the most is that i practiced in intervals... i would practice for 15 minutes then take a 15 minute break then start back againthen take like a 5 minute break, usuall do that for an hour to 2 hours, i forgot the logical reason behind this, a trainer was telling me something bout your brain and memory works best if you practice that way instead of going 2 hours str8 non-stop...

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 08:12:34 AM »
Yeah, I read that somewhere also. I've been somewhat doing that.

My frustration is coming in the fact that I can not seem to strum and change chords at the same time, I can do them seperately, but not together.  Very frustrating.
:)

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 08:48:47 AM »
Yeah, I read that somewhere also. I've been somewhat doing that.

My frustration is coming in the fact that I can not seem to strum and change chords at the same time, I can do them seperately, but not together.  Very frustrating.

For me, it was easier to learn the closed (movable) chord types than the open ones, since they're easier to transpose. Try learning "God's got a blessing". I think that's a fairly easy song to learn, since it's only about 6 chords in the whole song.

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 10:07:01 AM »
Practice Guitar-Guitar Lesson
Practicing the guitar sounds like a "no-brainer", but actually most people don't ever learn how to do it right! If you practice the guitar incorrectly, it will take you twice as long to improve.
Here are some general rules to follow:

Set aside a certain amount of guitar practice time 5-7 days a week and stick to it. The better routine you make, the more quality practice time you will get and the more fun you will have doing it.

Try to practice 5-7 days a week.

Figure out what times you are more alert and hyped for practicing.

Choose 2,3, or 4 things you will practice per week

The Metronome - You will need to make friends with this!
This is a device which makes a clicking sound at a regular speed. You can set the speed lower or higher depending on how fast you want to play. The speed is measured in beats per minute from 40 to around 200. The best kind of metronome to buy is a digital metronome($15 to $30). They are compact, easy to use, and reliable. Try to get one that clicks loudly so that you can hear it while you are playing.

Playing with the metronome can be a frustrating task. Here are some rules to follow to make it easier:
let about 5 or 6 clicks go by before you begin playing.
Once you get the rhythm in your head, try to put it into your subconscious.
Keep your own internal rhythm.

Allow yourself some creative practice at the end of each practice. Make up new guitar strums, licks, or jam with a song etc..

Repetition is the key to improving - If you want to play a guitar lick better, practice it three different times of the day. At each time of day repeat it 10x’s. Record the lick every couple of days to monitor your progress.

You always play worse in front of people - When you think you have mastered a song or a guitar lick, practice it another day or two so that it becomes 2nd nature when you perform it.

Generally, don’t practice guitar with the T.V. on. You can practice certain exercises in front of the T.V.-I will get to those later.

Take Breaks - The mind and fingers need breaks. Don’t practice 2-3 hours at one sitting.

Practice an hour or so, break for a couple of hours, listen to what you’ve recorded, practice another hour etc...

Record yourself constantly - this is the only way to truly hear how you are doing. All that you need is a cheap little tape player.

Print this page and paste it on your wall or keep it for reference so that you will remember these tips.
Pages: [1]   Go Up