LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question tube amp owners.............  (Read 886 times)

Offline destes

• LGM Member

question tube amp owners.............
« on: April 09, 2007, 07:41:33 AM »
I have a peavey classic 50 410 and i was wondering what tubes sound good for

the blues/gospel sound? It currently has JJ/Telsa tubes in it now. It came with

these tubes but I dont know how old they are. A local store was moving and I

got a quad of GrooveTubes( el84S) for $ 25 bucks.

Should I stick with JJ or go for the Groove?

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

Re: question tube amp owners.............
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 07:49:57 AM »
ask jayp150 he'll know

Offline destes

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 08:45:49 AM »
Thanks Gibby..........Jayp150 could you or anyone else shed some light for me?

Offline Sonar

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 09:22:22 AM »
Here's something from a tube seller site:

The Classic series amps have got to be one of the best working man’s amps ever built. For a production made amp they are built well and sound great. My favorite is the 50-410 I like the quick response of the 10’s.These amps are fixed bias and use EL84 power tubes. They provide a crisp, warm tone when using tubes with a moderate natural plate current draw. If it’s a good blues tone your after then a fairly hot set of EL84’s will give a nice greasy tone with an early saturation. The drive channel is very good adding a nice smooth distortion when using good tubes. With the stock Chinese 12AX7’s or sovteks ( the new EH tubes included, as they are sovteks ) it has a nasty honk!

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-k.htm

So this tells you several things.

1. The Groove Tubes are probably relabled Sovteks of some sort and might give the "nasty honk" mentioned above. This is a taste or opinion situation.

2. This amp is fixed bias and you probably have no idea what heat range those Groove Tubes run. This is a HARD FACT situation.

The Peavey Classic 50 is a Class B (AB), push pull, fixed-bias amp that can be modified by any competent tech to be an adjustable bias amplifier. Basically, Peavey was cheap and used a fixed resistor because it's cheaper than putting a potentiometer (bias adjustment pot) in each amp.

Just plugging tubes into this amp is rather like putting a replacement carborator on your engine WITHOUT any adjustment. It MIGHT be perfect (chances are slim)....it might be close....or it might be completely off.

With tubes, the adjustment can be too high or too low.
Too low will typically make the amp sound non-dimensional and unmusical. Real bland or "cold".....but the tubes will last a long time.
Too high and the amp can sound pretty good (for a while), but the tubes will run hot and not last long...also the tube(s) could self-destruct at anytime and could possible damage other internal components when they do.

On the bright side, Groove Tube/Sovteks tend to take heat abuse better than most other tubes...they just don't sound as good as JJ Teslas IHMO. You might simply try the new tubes and plan to get the situation fixed correctly in the near future (perhaps with a matched quad of JJ's).

Just understand that NOT all amps using EL84 tubes are "plug & play" cathode biased situations you find in lower wattage EL84 applications like many VOX amps and even lower wattage Peavey amps.

If the church can swing it, bring the amp to a tech to have the adjustment pot added and get your new tubes correctly biased for long dependable life. This is true for ANY new tubes regardless of brand.....they're all different. "Matched" tubes are only matched to each other in the quad....you have no idea what your amp is set for without checking the bias.

Destes -- Where are you located?

Offline destes

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 10:07:36 AM »
I live in memphis. thanks for all the info Sonar, your right I might have to take it 

to  a tech guy to see how it is set up

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 10:03:21 PM »
ask jayp150 he'll know

I'm blushing... lol Thank you for the compliment!

Sorry, I just saw this post.  I use Sovteks in My Classic 30 (and my 5150, but those are 6l6s), and I like them very much.  I've heard great things about the Teslas, though, as well.  To test if they really need changed, tap on the tubes while the amp is on, and if you can hear it through the speakers, they are shot. 

Aside from being mechanically bad, they may also simply lose their "shimmer" I guess.  The tone will dull out.

You got those GT's at a great price, and those are the tubes that Fender stocks most of their "vintage" amps with, so they may be worth a shot.  If you don't like them, put your Teslas back in.

Another great place for tubes is www.partsexpress.com .  They used to be local to me before I moved, and I've spent way too much dough in there lol.

They carry Sovteks, Electro-Harmonix (which are the same company as Sovtek now), Tesla, Groove Tubes, and I think a few models of the old Mullards, as well.

Also, check out www.blueguitar.org for good info on almost every tube amp on the market.

Let us know what you find out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up