LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 String  (Read 773 times)

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

4 String
« on: April 09, 2007, 12:54:20 PM »
I have not been practicing bass much at all in the last few months but it seems when I pick up my 4 string Im more comfortable with it. When I play my six string sometimes Im comfortable with it. I know it has something to do with positioning I just have not figured it out yet. It could be body shape or string spacing though. Im going to have to head to the music store to try out some different basses.

I was playing with the Donnie Mcclurkin CD last night the slow one of the dual set. I actual felt like I was holding it down. ;D I really see where keyboard playing has put me ahead theory wise on the bass. Only thing I cant do good are some of those runs I hear on the end of a bass note but I can just about hear them.

I was also doing some simple chording to songs on the 4 string. Im going to post when I get a few down. It really helps with finger movements. I can sometimes use any finger at certain frets with the LH. Its like they automatically change.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

Re: 4 String
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 04:32:59 PM »
It's all about what you're comfortable with.  Use what fits your comfort and needs.  You may grow to find more comfort with the 6, or you may find that you're just a 4-stringer kind of guy.

Offline HisLove

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 05:09:30 PM »
In my opinion anything lower than the low E on electric bass sounds phoney. It takes on too much of an electronic sound. I admit that I use the "drop D" (Hip-Shot) on my Peavey bass on rare occasion just to rattle the walls a little, but even that low D sounds too low.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 11:48:54 PM »
I have not been practicing bass much at all in the last few months but it seems when I pick up my 4 string Im more comfortable with it. When I play my six string sometimes Im comfortable with it. I know it has something to do with positioning I just have not figured it out yet. It could be body shape or string spacing though. Im going to have to head to the music store to try out some different basses.

I was playing with the Donnie Mcclurkin CD last night the slow one of the dual set. I actual felt like I was holding it down. ;D I really see where keyboard playing has put me ahead theory wise on the bass. Only thing I cant do good are some of those runs I hear on the end of a bass note but I can just about hear them.

I was also doing some simple chording to songs on the 4 string. Im going to post when I get a few down. It really helps with finger movements. I can sometimes use any finger at certain frets with the LH. Its like they automatically change.

I'm like you. I haven't touched mine since March, but sometimes, after a few weeks of rest, I find my fingers can move faster....It's weird. I've been in piano mode since June though, so I haven't practiced AS much as I normally do. I'm about to start bass mode soon.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 12:10:55 AM »
I think its a lighter touch. Seem like I play lighter when I pick it back up.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline bopeuph

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 07:19:33 AM »
If I would do anything other than a four string, it would be a five.  But besides being predominantly an upright bassist, I also have this amazing fender jazz that non 4-stringers keep asking if i would sell it to them.  It's that good.  Besides, I figure if Jaco and Vic only used four strings, why do I need any more?

However, I do really like the sound of a low D and Eb on the bass.  Nice and rich.

Nick

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 10:49:01 AM »
I very much enjoy my 4 string. It's my baby.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 10:44:42 AM »
I like the extended range that the 5-string offers but going back to my 4 is like going home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up