LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what is the correct title?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline rut

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

what is the correct title?
« on: March 13, 2007, 08:20:03 PM »
Some people called me minister of music, the praise and worship leader, musician, choir director etc.
I do direct the choir, I am the head musician,  and I do lead praise & worship while on the keyboard.
 i just do want people calling all of them to me. Just pcik one. So I say minister of music. I am I wrong?
"vision to victory"

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: what is the correct title?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 08:40:20 PM »
Some people called me minister of music, the praise and worship leader, musician, choir director etc.
I do direct the choir, I am the head musician,  and I do lead praise & worship while on the keyboard.
 i just do want people calling all of them to me. Just pcik one. So I say minister of music. I am I wrong?

Is there more than one choir? Do you make all of the decisions for all of the choirs? Do you book engagements?

If you answered, "yes" to two out of three, then you could be considered the MOM.

The real question is.......

WHAT DOES YOUR PASTOR CALL YOU?  ;)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 01:05:02 PM »
Sj is right, as usual. There is a whole lot more to be considered to really receive the full title of a MOM, but we have just settled for less just to receive the title of MOM. I stand in agreement with Sj. WHAT DOES YOUR PASTOR CALL YOU?, then that will be that!!  God bless, Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline MrSparrow

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 09:49:37 AM »
WE can take it a step farther than that too...

What does you job description say your title is? If you don't have a job description then you should get with your Pastor and the adminstrators of your church and write them up for you and your other musicians.

I'm one of those musician/worship leader/administrator/choir director/teacher/music director/etc... people myself. My title is Minister of Music

Offline rut

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 10:46:21 PM »
my pastor calls me "Minister of Music" and yes I do all of thee above,
"vision to victory"

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 06:28:19 AM »
my pastor calls me "Minister of Music" and yes I do all of thee above,

Then, that's it. You're the MOM at your church.  ;)

Now, as Sparrow stated, make sure that everyone within the music ministry KNOWS that you are the MOM, and NOT just in name ONLY.

Sit down with your pastor and get a finite idea of what your duties are; if there's a problem with a choir member will the pastor allow YOU address it? If there's a problem with a musician, will your pastor allow YOU to address it? If you have a question about the ministry, will the pastor allow YOU to address it, etc.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline MrSparrow

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 07:38:18 AM »
It's very important that you establish who's in charge of what. Can you higher and fire musicians? Can you negotiate salaries/raises? Can you sit promote and demote folk without running it by the Pastor for approval? Things like this need to be carefully descripted so that you and your Pastor won't bump heads down the road.

Ya mean?

MrSparrow

Offline bosstrainers

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 01:57:03 PM »

According to the Bible, Chief Musician.  Read I Chronicles 6:5.  Asaph was the chief musician.  He had two assistants:Ethan (Jeduthun), and Heman.  Three individuals were needed to represent the sons of Levi:Gershon, Kohath, and Merari. Read I Chronicles 14 as well.

Chenaniah was the chief director.  He is the only one mentioned.  Chenaniah did not play.  He only directed and sung.  Read I Chronicles 15:22, 27.

Ethan (Merarites), Heman (Kohathites), Asaph ( ).  They stood in this order.

They officiated the functions of the singers and the musicians.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Offline troy_v

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 02:32:03 PM »
I now refer to myself as the "Music Pastor" responsible for all aspects of the music department for my local assembly.

And again from above, what does your job description say?....
Troy V
Music Director, Biloxi, MS
Pages: [1]   Go Up