LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artist to Listen to.  (Read 5224 times)

Offline RONNIEJR99

• LGM Member
  • The beginning of something great.....

Re: Artist to Listen to.
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 07:23:20 PM »

ummmmm.........

well congrats to you and thanks for letting us know.  You know we could of thrown you an LGM bachelor party!  you know with jam sessions and all that stuff.

but anywho congrats to you and your wife

here ya go!  It's a guitar wedding cake thingy!  :D :D

HEY CONGRATS ON GETTING MARRIED JAYP5150.......YO GIBBY THAT IS A NICE CAKE. JAYP WHERE'S THE CAKE!!! ;D

FOR ME AND MY HOUSE, WE WILL SERVE THE LORD.

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 09:46:49 PM »
                           JOHATHAN DUBOSE
                                QUIET TIMES
                                VOLUME 3
                                A MUST
                                TRUST
                                 ME

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 01:51:57 AM »
                           JOHATHAN DUBOSE
                                QUIET TIMES
                                VOLUME 3
                                A MUST
                                TRUST
                                 ME

i tried to dig it bro......but i just couldn't. i MUCH prefer Jdub rockin on someone else's material. when you listen to as much instrumental guitar music as i have in my life, it just takes a little more to impress, i guess.

again, not knocking him ONE bit, he's a great, great musician. i just expected more i guess.

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 10:28:08 AM »
i tried to dig it bro......but i just couldn't. i MUCH prefer Jdub rockin on someone else's material. when you listen to as much instrumental guitar music as i have in my life, it just takes a little more to impress, i guess.

again, not knocking him ONE bit, he's a great, great musician. i just expected more i guess.
WOW :o Bro;The cd,is the bomb ;D ;D ;D ;D,but whatever float the boat. ;) ;)

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 03:03:52 PM »
WOW :o Bro;The cd,is the bomb ;D ;D ;D ;D,but whatever float the boat. ;) ;)

But have you ever REALLY listened to, for instance, Derek Trucks? Check out Joyful Noise and Soul Serenade. Or, just go search him at You Tube, then you'll get it.

Dubose is GREAT, but not mind-blowing when you're used to the like of Derek, Steve Vai, Satch, SRV, and so on. Dat's all...

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 03:21:14 PM »
I don't know how you feel about Secular music, but pick up Stevie Ray Vaughn.  He's an awesome blues guitarist, lots of riffs that he uses in today's traditional and even contemporary gospel.  His music is like rated E for everyone, so you don't have to worry about the lyrics being bad.

Go to walmart.com click on the music, and type in his name to hear some of his samples. 

For rythm guitar, get the Dave Matthews band collection, his rythm and style is awesome, it's a mixture of blues, funk, pop, and a teaspoon of rock mixed together. 

Also for a mixed of rythm and soloing, get the John Mayer collection.  He was inspired by stevie ray vaughn, and his playing has some soul.  His is a blues feel with a contempory pop/urban feel, and you won't be disappointed.

If you like jazz, you can't go wrong with George Benson or Stanley Jordan.  For more of the traditional jazz guitar get Joe Pass (very smooth tone) and to me is one of the greatest.

If blues/rock style then i would say Jimmi Hendrix - although this being a christian website, i wouldn't recommend it for the fact was he was a druggy and he got high on his recordings... but he uses a lot of minor and major pentatonic, which is mainly used in gospel, blues and rock...

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 04:25:30 PM »
I don't know how you feel about Secular music, but pick up Stevie Ray Vaughn.  He's an awesome blues guitarist, lots of riffs that he uses in today's traditional and even contemporary gospel.  His music is like rated E for everyone, so you don't have to worry about the lyrics being bad.

Go to walmart.com click on the music, and type in his name to hear some of his samples. 

For rythm guitar, get the Dave Matthews band collection, his rythm and style is awesome, it's a mixture of blues, funk, pop, and a teaspoon of rock mixed together. 

Also for a mixed of rythm and soloing, get the John Mayer collection.  He was inspired by stevie ray vaughn, and his playing has some soul.  His is a blues feel with a contempory pop/urban feel, and you won't be disappointed.

If you like jazz, you can't go wrong with George Benson or Stanley Jordan.  For more of the traditional jazz guitar get Joe Pass (very smooth tone) and to me is one of the greatest.

If blues/rock style then i would say Jimmi Hendrix - although this being a christian website, i wouldn't recommend it for the fact was he was a druggy and he got high on his recordings... but he uses a lot of minor and major pentatonic, which is mainly used in gospel, blues and rock...

Yeah, Mayer's really stinking good.  however, if I ever meet Stanley Jordan, I'm going to break his fingers.  He's just too talented.

Derek is a secular artist, but 90% is instrumental. BUT, listen to Joyful Noise (the track--it's the name of the album, too), and you will swear you're at church.  Literally.  There's a little backing chior on the "Make a joyful noise" refrain, and then there's a tempo-shifting churchy organ solo.  I almost cry every time I listen to it. ;D

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 04:35:13 PM »
man, so many names......

andy timmons
greg howe
richie kotzen
brett garsed
tommy emmanuel
satch
vai
vinnie moore
george lynch
srv
joe bonamassa
scott henderson
frank gambale
eric gales
johnny lang (who is a spirit filled born again christian now)
derek trucks
shawn lane
brent mason
brad paisley
dann huff
johnny hiland
michael hedges
paul gilbert
tony mcalpine

that's enough names to burn youtube up for you......

Offline mt_spiffy

• LGM Member
    • http://www.itsmyurls.com/dspiffy

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 01:54:01 PM »
Dubose is GREAT, but not mind-blowing when you're used to the like of Derek, Steve Vai, Satch, SRV, and so on. Dat's all...

It's an entirely different style of playing.  Being a session musician is COMPLETELY different than being a solo guitarist.  SRV wouldnt be hired for the session work the likes of DuBose do . . . and Dubose wouldnt put on an SRV blues show and feel like SRV.  Session musicians have to be a lot cleaner, a lot more versitile, and be familiar with almost every style and chord . . . whereas solo artists have to have that FEELING . . .

That having been said, my favorite guitar players are Prince and Jubu.

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2007, 02:01:21 PM »
It's an entirely different style of playing.  Being a session musician is COMPLETELY different than being a solo guitarist.  SRV wouldnt be hired for the session work the likes of DuBose do . . . and Dubose wouldnt put on an SRV blues show and feel like SRV.  Session musicians have to be a lot cleaner, a lot more versitile, and be familiar with almost every style and chord . . . whereas solo artists have to have that FEELING . . .

Dubose wasn't being discussed for his session work, but for his solo projects, so it's really the same thing after all. if you are putting yourself out there as a solo artist then you have to be compared on the same level as those guys.

and don't think for a second that alot of, if not most of, the guitarists aren't capable of doing sessions just because they are identified by their solo artist persona, and the genre they fall in.

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2007, 03:17:54 PM »
Dubose wasn't being discussed for his session work, but for his solo projects, so it's really the same thing after all. if you are putting yourself out there as a solo artist then you have to be compared on the same level as those guys.

and don't think for a second that alot of, if not most of, the guitarists aren't capable of doing sessions just because they are identified by their solo artist persona, and the genre they fall in.

Which brings us back to Warren Haynes lol... Currently with hi own group, Gov't Mule, The Allman Brothers, Phil Lesh and Friends, and so on.  That guy can cover all the bases, and still not be winded.

Oh, he started out with *gasp* David Allan Coe, but I've never heard any of that work... but I'd like to think it was before all the risque stuff lol.

Clapton has proven himself as multi-dimensional, as well; and a lot of people won't admit it, but so was Hendrix.  Listen to his posthumous stuff (First Rays... etc.). It was practially Jazz at times, and I think had he lived any longer, that's where'd he'd be now.

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2007, 03:31:32 PM »
well, Greg Howe has toured wiht some of the biggest names in music. He played one of the most demanding gigs out there at the time, When Michael Jackson was still touring. Dann Huff is probably the best session player of all time, but he'a monster guitarist. Andy Timmons can play ANYTHING and smoke it. just because those guys put out records where they get to show out doens't mean they don't don't know who to reign it in and play for the song when it's called for.

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2007, 04:31:29 PM »
well, Greg Howe has toured wiht some of the biggest names in music. He played one of the most demanding gigs out there at the time, When Michael Jackson was still touring. Dann Huff is probably the best session player of all time, but he'a monster guitarist. Andy Timmons can play ANYTHING and smoke it. just because those guys put out records where they get to show out doens't mean they don't don't know who to reign it in and play for the song when it's called for.

Exactly... being able to cover a lot of ground well, and being afforded to play what you want to (and feel the most) are two different things.  I, personally, would take either, if offered, lol  ;D ;D ;D

ES7Mike

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2007, 10:26:53 PM »

I agree with you about Jubu and I know Prince stays in the studio alot but I see Prince more as a solo guitarist. I hear he plays a mean rhythm guitar.  As for artistto listen to, check out Jubu, Geogre Benson, J. DuBose of course, Errol Cooney or even eddie Hazel or Eric Clapton.

Offline katstrat

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2007, 10:00:04 PM »
If you can,try getting the Phil Keaggy dvd..."Philly Live". The guy is so good he makes me want to throw down my guitars in disgust. He is a Christian and has been a Christain artist for years.The dvd is him in concert,with nothing else but a acoustic guitar,and his effects. He makes all the sounds on the guitar,records them with a looping effect known as a "Jam Man" and plays over them. He sounds like a six piece band sometimes!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up