LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An interesting question...  (Read 1106 times)

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

An interesting question...
« on: April 14, 2007, 02:35:59 PM »
I just wanted to spark up a little discussion with a question. I've heard many Christians refer to the church as both the Body of Christ and the Bride of Christ. How is it that the church can be the Bride and Body?
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member

Re: An interesting question...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 06:42:35 PM »
No bites? Come on. I know someone has a response for this one. I think I should've wrote Spanky as my topic.

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 07:24:11 PM »
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 07:59:47 PM »
I think you should repost this in the General Discussion room.

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 09:20:26 PM »
I purposely posted it here because I wanted to get a little non-drum discussion going with my drum bros and sis's.

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 09:46:46 PM »
I was thought the Bride to be New Jerusalem according to a passage of scripture in Revelation. It just always seemed weird to me for the church to be both. Does that mean that Christ is going to marry himself? Makes you think...

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 10:04:42 PM »
Word?  Could you reference the scripture?  And, yes, it is weird. 

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 10:22:53 PM »
I do not see Israel as being the Bride. Israel is Israel. The Bride is Gods elect.
Matthew 25..parable of the 10 virgins is what that is referring to.

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 10:42:24 PM »
Ah, that makes sense, brother Roady!!!

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 01:30:26 PM »
I'm going to go and find the scripture for this because I hate quoting scripture without noting the passage. But there's a place in Revelation where Paul is having one of his visions and the angel with him says behold the bride of christ and the very next thing it shows is, not the church, but the holy city New Jerusalem descending to the earth. Maybe I'm misinterpreting but if the church is the bride wouldn't you expect the church to follow such a statement as "behold the bride of Christ?"

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 02:02:42 PM »
I'm going to go and find the scripture for this because I hate quoting scripture without noting the passage. But there's a place in Revelation where Paul is having one of his visions and the angel with him says behold the bride of christ and the very next thing it shows is, not the church, but the holy city New Jerusalem descending to the earth. Maybe I'm misinterpreting but if the church is the bride wouldn't you expect the church to follow such a statement as "behold the bride of Christ?"

Revelation 19:7-9: In verse eight it says that the brides linen is the righteousness of the saints and not that the bride was the saints (in my interpretation). If the church is the bride, who are the "They" which are called to the marriage supper in verse 9.

Revelation 21:9 an Angel says to John "Come I will show you the Bride, the Lamb's wife." After this statement the scripture shows the Holy City descending out of heaven and goes into an extensive description of that city. It doesn't talk about the church at all for the remainder of the chapter.

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 02:19:21 PM »
Revelation 19:7-9: In verse eight it says that the bride's linen is the righteousness of the saints and not that the bride was the saints (in my interpretation). If the church is the bride, who are the "They" which are called to the marriage supper in verse 9.

Revelation 21:9 an Angel says to John "Come I will show you the Bride, the Lamb's wife." After this statement the scripture shows the Holy City descending out of heaven and goes into an extensive description of that city. It doesn't talk about the church at all for the remainder of the chapter.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 09:58:32 PM »
Interesting discussion...

I've always understood both the "body" & the "bride" to be the church and the church to be us humans.

Those who choose God become part of him, one with him. We also attach ourselves to him & have a personal relationship with him much like a husband & wife. He leads, we obediently follow but he still gives us our space & allowing us to be ourselves (As should be the case in ALL good relationships).

It's a very simplistic understanding & I don't have scriptures to base these on. But that's how I understand it.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 11:03:04 AM »
The bride and body of Christ is His church (not our church). We are all too often unprepared as the virgins with no oil in their lamp. We all too often make excuse to not make the invitation to dinner. And if we do show up to the event we are not dressed for the wedding so He casts us out into the darkness. Unfortunately "The church" is way filled with "religiousity " and unbelief so the righteous will scarsley make it in. The Word tells us
John 10:27
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Rom 7:4 (Our marriage to Christ mentioned...)
Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

I Corinthians 12:18-28 (The Body Of Christ)
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?
20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.
21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:
23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.
24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked:
25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.
27 [[[Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.]]]
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Ephesians 5:21-27 (you can really start at he beginning of Ephesians 5)
8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.
13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

I hope this gets you on the right track.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 01:16:32 PM »
Whatever I am, I know I want to make it and be with the Lord. Did anyone hear about the shooting at VT University? Reportedly, 20 people are dead and a bunch more injured. It pays to know the Lord. For as Christians we do not fear death and death has no reign over us thanks to our "elder brother".

JFunky

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 02:49:52 PM »
Whatever I am, I know I want to make it and be with the Lord. Did anyone hear about the shooting at VT University? Reportedly, 20 people are dead and a bunch more injured. It pays to know the Lord. For as Christians we do not fear death and death has no reign over us thanks to our "elder brother".

...a very, very tragic thing.  That's why we must be ready for 2 things at all times:  The coming of the Lord and death.  See, a lot of people are living life like God is not coming today or tomorrow or even next year but they forget that no one knows when Death will surprise you.

...we need to pray for the evil cloud that is over all schools and universities.  The Government needs to understand that when they took the Bible and Prayer out of the schools.........I'll leave it alone.  We need to call out to God.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 04:28:51 PM »
Yes its tragic, but nothing new and it certainly has nothing to do with prayer being taken out of schools.  The world is not getting worse, but technology is getting better.  Cain killed 25% of the earth's population.  He used a rock, but if he had a gun, he would've shot his brother Able...and this was way in the beginning stages of life on Earth.  People kill people.  Its natural.  Its always been.  It will always be.  Prayer or no prayer.  Life is just as important as death.  Just ask Jesus.   ;)

Pages: [1]   Go Up