LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pickin' Up Songs from CDs  (Read 1246 times)

Offline HolyOne27

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Pickin' Up Songs from CDs
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:28:15 PM »
I'm Tim.  I've been on the site a long time.  I'm a self taught keyboard/pianist/aspiring organist who just started learning theory.  I bought Jermaine Griggs series which has been real good for me.  Question is: I understand the theory behind progressions....Now...when you are picking up songs from CDs...how do you determine whether the chords are 7th, 9th, 11th, or 13th?  This always confuses me because if I played the song using triads (which I've done for 11 of my now 14 years of playing), I have no problem.  I could use help here.  How do I recognize the occasional substitution?  I may figure out the chord progression is a 7-3-6, but then here come the substitutions and I'm lost.

What's the tricks to picking up the big chords by ear?  Recognizing the substitution?  and then......knowing what type of chord to play on each tone of the scale.  E.G.  I always thought the one chord was major....but then sometimes it's a dominant chord?  HELP!!!

Offline elio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Pickin' Up Songs from CDs
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 01:03:29 AM »
When the 'rewind' button on your CD is completely worn out, that's when you'll be able to pick up chord tones  ;) .
No, honest, only way is to get used to the various chord tones by hearing them over and over again. Pick a chord, and keep listening to it and play along with it - soon you'll sound like the CD. Now, repeat 10,000 times.....

I also recommend the Solfege ear training program: http://solfege.org.

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 01:22:25 AM »
It's sometimes hard for me too. If i can't get it then i just make the song my own by adding 9ths or 11ths where i think it would be appropriate. :D
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline HolyOne27

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 12:11:53 AM »
Thanks elio for the site.  I've downloaded and will check out solfege.  At the risk of burning up my cd's, I've sent some of my regulars to MP3 since there's lots of rewindin going on.  Thanks Derik also.  That's my normal way of getting around it by just making the song mine. 

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 02:04:34 PM »
When the 'rewind' button on your CD is completely worn out, that's when you'll be able to pick up chord tones  ;) .
No, honest, only way is to get used to the various chord tones by hearing them over and over again. Pick a chord, and keep listening to it and play along with it - soon you'll sound like the CD. Now, repeat 10,000 times.....

I also recommend the Solfege ear training program: http://solfege.org.

Thanks for the site. Checking out. One...
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up