LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ain't Nuffin Wrong Wid Some Triads  (Read 1628 times)

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

Ain't Nuffin Wrong Wid Some Triads
« on: February 13, 2007, 11:42:50 AM »
(Scene: LGM courtroom. The prosecution's table consists of the most contemporary musicians in the late twentieth / early twenty-first century. At the defence table sits BBoy and some simple three note chords that no one hardly ever sees in the gospel music community. Looking fly in his dark blue double breasted suit, BBoy looks over his notes and prepares to start his opening)

I am still by anyone's standard a growing musician. But I would like to take this chance to speak in defence of something we gospel musicians attack all the time.

Yes, and before this is over the evidence will prove . . . yes, prove . . . that our accusations are without merit.

(BBoy stands up, walks out from behind the defence table and addresses the LGM community courtroom. He buttons his fly double-breasted suit and looks the LGM jury straight in the eye)

I come in defense of the triad.

(LGM musicians all over the world gasp in terror. Muttered whispers are shared between gospel musicians from England, South Africa, Korea, and all fifty states. Brother musicians lean back and shake their heards in disbeleif. Sister musicians start fanning themelseves with their handkercheifs, looking faint)

Yes, you heard me. That's right. The Triad.

(BBoy spins around to point to the several three note chords that were seated to his left at the defence table)

The plain triad . . . the EbGBb, the CEG, the BbDF . . . . and the FAC too.

I would present for your consideration that they are a great chords to use for three reasons.

One, they are simple. Triads are simple to teach anyone and easy to use. What is simple is usually powerful. They are easy to convert to minor chords and dominant sevenths when backing up a preacher, and they are very easily inverted to fill in dead spaces in the song. Run these simple triads up and down the keyboard, and you will sound like a virtuoso. They are easily backed with bass, too . . . just give an octave or add a fifth to the root chord, and you know you are always correct. It might not be the phattest sound, but you know you are on key.

Two, they are easily layered. Triad sound to simple? Just move your left hand to the second degree in the scale, and you have another layer of sound without taking you out of your key. Triads can be backed in your left hand with the root, the second, the thrid, the fifth without even changing the quality of the chord very much. Throw in a sixth and you have a happy sound. Throw in a dominant seventh and you have a chord that can always move to the fourth of the key. It is all based on the triad.

Three, they are a basis from which you can get phatter and phatter. Play a simple CEG. Then throw in a second. Then move the third up to a fourth (E up to an F) and you have a suspension. Resolve that suspension and you are back home. You can do all that with a little aspect of smooth music that I have found out is essential . . . the theory of minimal movement. You can't play fast moving all over the place, so minimal movement is crucial. 

Therefore, in light of this evidence, I move to reinstate the simple triad as a valid and valuable member of the gospel music toolbox, and move for immediate dismissal of all charges that this chord is plain and bland.

The defense rests.

;)

Be Blessed, er'body
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Ain't Nuffin Wrong Wid Some Triads
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 01:51:02 PM »
I agree with you Bboy.  In fact, 85% of my playing arsenal is 3-note chords.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 05:02:25 PM »
I agree BBoy. BTW, don't want to put you on blast, but the word is defense  ;)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 05:25:45 PM »
You are right, Grammar Wiz. I misspelled the word defense. Thanks for the help . . . .

My, how embarrassing is that?  :-[
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Offline rspindy

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 01:44:57 PM »
Good Job BBoy,

Too often we go (myself included) for all of those Phat, Lush sounds.  But sometimes we need a bit of a breather and simple triadic harmony can be just that ticket and can actually create more interest and more room to maneuver when putting together an arrangement in any style.

Some ideas could be to start simply triadic, and build harmonic complexity on successive choruses, then bring it back.  Or take something to a wild climax to a cacaphonous dominant with every alteration possible, conceivable, or even unknown b5 #5 b9 #9 #11 13 ##29 1/2, to human kind, stop on a grand pause and then let the next sound to be heard just a simple triadic harmonic progression.

We musicians should keep all possible sonic resources in our tool box.

Offline Ladyn

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 08:41:02 PM »
Great post Bboy! 

NIchole

Offline riddimriffer

• LGM Member
  • I am not a Christian. I like Gospel tunes.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 12:33:05 PM »
If you really want to open up and you could just shell it. Stacking open intervals : R and its perfect fifths.

POWER CHORDS...

C Power Chord Shell Or C5:

Root: C
    Perfect Fifth: G

Play the C5 in your left hand.

Play these power chord shells (along with the C5 playing it  with your left hand) with your right hand with some rhythm :

B5: B   F#
    C5: C   G
   Bb5: Bb  F

Left Hand Possibilities:

1. Play the C5 simultaneously.

2. Play just the C in the bass.

3. Play just the G in the bass.

4. Play C and G alternately.

5. Play G and C alternately.

Right Hand Possibilities:

1. Scanplay other perfect fifth shells in all twelve of the chromatic keys (with the C5)
    to examine which chords sound well and which sound bad. Jot it down.

2. Play the perfect fifths together or apart alternately.

3. Invert the fifths and make them fourths.
    Example: B5 inverts F#4
                 C5 inverts G4
                Bb5 inverts F4

Not a Christian...learning gospel tunes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up