LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your wood?  (Read 5434 times)

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

What's your wood?
« on: April 23, 2007, 11:34:15 PM »
I was talking to my mentor Darneal Jackson the other day and he was explaining to me the difference between a "drummer" and "someone who just plays the drums". To make a long story short a "drummer" knows and has the will to further progress in his craft while a drum player just....plays. Then he mentioned that if you own a drum set or snare and dont know the type of wood you're playing on then you're most likely a "drum player".

So on the subject of wood I was wondering what you guys prefer to play on in terms of sound. I used to be a fan of the bright and warm tones of maple but I'm finding that I'm becoming more fond of the deep lows of Birch every time I touch a birch kit. I really want to play on Bubinga wood though, from what I'm hearing it's the new maple
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline diligent-hands

• LGM Member
  • NEW SINGLE (60 SECOND PRAYER)

Re: What's your wood?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 11:37:25 PM »
i started on a maple kit..so um...thats where i stand...but dont get it twisted bubinga aint no joke neither..to me it depends what type style of player u are...

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 11:43:54 PM »
I was talking to my mentor Darneal Jackson the other day and he was explaining to me the difference between a "drummer" and "someone who just plays the drums". To make a long story short a "drummer" knows and has the will to further progress in his craft while a drum player just....plays. Then he mentioned that if you own a drum set or snare and dont know the type of wood you're playing on then you're most likely a "drum player".

So on the subject of wood I was wondering what you guys prefer to play on in terms of sound. I used to be a fan of the bright and warm tones of maple but I'm finding that I'm becoming more fond of the deep lows of Birch every time I touch a birch kit. I really want to play on Bubinga wood though, from what I'm hearing it's the new maple

Hmm....  This thread can easily take a turn for the worse.  Althought I'm not going to jerk the steering wheel that way.

I also prefer the sound of birch and mahogany drums.  Birch has great low end and plenty of attack.  Mahogany is my drum of choice for straight ahead/bebop gig.
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 11:52:43 PM »
I started on poplar... Haven't ventured too far from it (Not by choice).

Everytime I play wood that ain't poplar, I go out the back & grab a couple of tissues, have a little cry at what I'm missing then go back & get focused on the job.

Other than that, I'd love to one day really sit down & have a good listen to the different characteristics & pick out what moves me.

Side note: I find maple & bubinga to be interesting...

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 06:56:52 AM »
I have a Maple Kit. I would love to try a Oak, Beech, Ash, Bubinga or even a Walnut Kit. As far as snare goes, I play an African Mahogany Snare. I love it. I am blown away at how diverse the tuning is on this thing.

JFunky

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 08:14:44 AM »

...okay, first of all, tell your mentor that a "Drummer" and a "Drum Player" is the exact same thing. ;D  What he means is a "Percussionist" vs. "Drummer". ;)  Now, I'm not going to judge anyone because they don't know the wood types and characteristics of them.  We have many beginners on the site so I understand and it's the Vets. job to teach. (as JHaynes would state)

...as for my preference in wood, right now I'm really digging Birch toms with a Maple kick drum.  For an outdoor or even uunmiked situation/event, I would love to have the new Yamaha Oak Customs.

...by the way, Bubinga is not the new Maple.  Bubinga is just different.  Maple and Birch are still the most desired woods.

Offline snareman

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 09:45:58 AM »
I used to be a fan of the bright and warm tones of maple but I'm finding that I'm becoming more fond of the deep lows of Birch every time I touch a birch kit.

i've never heard anyone describe maple as bright AND warm before. . . ?/? it's also interesting to hear someone mention the deep lows of birch (as opposed to mahogany).
. . . but i digress.

to answer the question, i have 2 birch kits and the one at my church is mahogany. i love the 8", 10", and 12" birch toms. mahogany is a better choice for 13" and larger toms for me. i like a lot of sustain, and it seems, for some reason, that i get the most sustain from each of these woods in these respective diameters. plus i like my lower toms to sound "thunderous!!"

as far as snares go, i get the most ear-pleasing sound from maple snares. my favorites right now are my black panthers, and my tama artwood ltd. edition. all are maple.

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 10:34:57 AM »
i've never heard anyone describe maple as bright AND warm before. . .  it's also interesting to hear someone mention the deep lows of birch (as opposed to mahogany).
. . . but i digress.

to answer the question, i have 2 birch kits and the one at my church is mahogany. i love the 8", 10", and 12" birch toms. mahogany is a better choice for 13" and larger toms for me. i like a lot of sustain, and it seems, for some reason, that i get the most sustain from each of these woods in these respective diameters. plus i like my lower toms to sound "thunderous!!"

as far as snares go, i get the most ear-pleasing sound from maple snares. my favorites right now are my black panthers, and my tama artwood ltd. edition. all are maple.

Hey snareman what do you do to get a thunderous sound out of you lower lower toms? My 16" floor tom is  Mahogany, and has the Oak outter ply...It has a nice sustain but I can really hear the tone of the drum!!! any suggestions?
Richard

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 10:59:59 AM »
Hey snareman what do you do to get a thunderous sound out of you lower lower toms? My 16" floor tom is  Mahogany, and has the Oak outter ply...It has a nice sustain but I can really hear the tone of the drum!!! any suggestions?

Once again...Your Mahogany is Phillipine Mahogany. Not African Mahogany. There is a huge difference. African Mahogany is the Warm Wood Characteristic that is being referred to.

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 11:15:51 AM »
Well Ok then how can I get  a low end thunderous tone out of my Phillipine Mahogany? Well since you know, fill me in EC..... I can't get the sound Im looking for... Is it the Head or Is it the drum its self? I like the kit but Im thinking about getting a 14 inch floor tom.... This may be a whole nother thread but I figured you could help me hear... :-\...
Richard

JFunky

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 11:20:27 AM »
Well Ok then how can I get  a low end thunderous tone out of my Phillipine Mahogany? Well since you know, fill me in EC..... I can't get the sound Im looking for... Is it the Head or Is it the drum its self? I like the kit but Im thinking about getting a 14 inch floor tom.... This may be a whole nother thread but I figured you could help me hear... :-\...

...get rid of the Phillipine Mahagony kit. lol  There's really nothing else you can do doc'.  All you can do is tune it to the best of "its" ability and that's it.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 11:24:26 AM »

What heads do you have on it now? How do you have it tuned?

Offline snareman

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 11:37:13 AM »

since the original questioned was asked. . . TO ME!!!!!! :P

just playin' fellas. y'all really said the stuff i was gonna say. probably the most important question is what kind of head do you have on the drum now? i have heard some phillipine mahogany (luann, if you will) that had a decent sound to it, because someone had taken the time to tune it and had good heads on it.

I use either Remo Ambassadors or Emperors. I used to use Emperors a long time ago, but I switched to Ambassadors. recently i bought an add-on tom and put an Emperor on it just to experiment, and it sounded audibly warmer than the Ambassadors on the other toms. so the next time i buy heads, i'm gonna get Emperors and use those again for a while.

Offline snareman

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 11:38:15 AM »
oh, yeah. Evans=dookey!!!!

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 11:51:01 AM »
oh, yeah. Evans=dookey!!!!

You have just been added to my prayer list.  ;D ;D

Notice the Bold and Underlined words...that would be directed to me.  8) Thats why I answered.

JFunky

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 11:52:57 AM »
since the original questioned was asked. . . TO ME!!!!!! :P

just playin' fellas. y'all really said the stuff i was gonna say. probably the most important question is what kind of head do you have on the drum now? i have heard some phillipine mahogany (luann, if you will) that had a decent sound to it, because someone had taken the time to tune it and had good heads on it.

I use either Remo Ambassadors or Emperors. I used to use Emperors a long time ago, but I switched to Ambassadors. recently i bought an add-on tom and put an Emperor on it just to experiment, and it sounded audibly warmer than the Ambassadors on the other toms. so the next time i buy heads, i'm gonna get Emperors and use those again for a while.

...that's what I have on the Pearl kit at the church....Clear Emperors over Clear Ambassadors.  Nothing better.  Durable and the tone is always there. 8)

Offline theLearner

• LGM Member
  • Play, don't play around

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 12:28:54 PM »
...get rid of the Phillipine Mahagony kit. lol  There's really nothing else you can do doc'.  All you can do is tune it to the best of "its" ability and that's it.

lol
lol
I have phillipine mahagony too (yamaha Rydeen kit) you cant do much wit it lol
imma try the birth/bubinga kit from tama (performer kit)

anyone know how that sounds???

Offline Vangie D

• LGM Member
  • zawmar drumsticks 'play.minister.groove.'
    • www.youtube.com/user/vangied

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 03:01:07 PM »
I have a yamaha stage custom Advantage Nouveau, made of birch, some phillipine mahogany and a lil Falkata.

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 03:16:36 PM »
I have a yamaha stage custom Advantage Nouveau, made of birch, some phillipine mahogany and a lil Falkata.

I have the same kit but with oak instead of Birch!! But I still have the Falkata and Mahogany... Its sound good for a Mid-level Kit!!....

I have Clear G2's on it now.... Should I go for something a little more controlled and warm like a coated G2?... I also Have stock reso heads on it also!!!

Its a great kit though man!!!.... C'mon I got the Kit for $450 I couldnt pass that deal up..... Im not working now so its kind of hard for me to save up a buy a kit like you guys do.... When I make a few bucks I will upgrade but for now my Stage Custom will have to do!!..
Richard

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 03:33:53 PM »
OK I am gonna get hung for this and thats ok. It is a misconception that a G2 coated head is a warm head. Its just simply not true. Now before the stones start flying at me...please check this out:
http://evansdrumheads.com/EVAProductsDS.aspx?ID=13
I am currently experimenting with a combo that has never been discussed on here before and I must say, so far, I'm in Love!

My best advice to you is this...experiment. With tuning and head selection. If the heads are too expensive, then mess with tuning. Get your Reso head a little tighter than your batter. Both just past wrinkled. If you need more info or details, pm me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up