LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your wood?  (Read 5422 times)

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

Re: What's your wood?
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 03:34:12 PM »
I really preferr the sound of birch over maple. I try to make myself get into the maple kits but I just can't bring myself to buy them over birch. I also like the sound of Bapeva wood. If you don't know which company uses that type of wood do your research. Just playing (RMV). I would like to experiment with ash as well ( note the avatar). I know GMS has an ash kit that I would like to hear in person.
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 05:55:25 PM »
I really preferr the sound of birch over maple. I try to make myself get into the maple kits but I just can't bring myself to buy them over birch. I also like the sound of Bapeva wood. If you don't know which company uses that type of wood do your research. Just playing (RMV). I would like to experiment with ash as well ( note the avatar). I know GMS has an ash kit that I would like to hear in person.

Can you really tell the difference between a maple and a birch kit by listening?  I cant.

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 06:14:39 PM »
Can you really tell the difference between a maple and a birch kit by listening?  I cant.

Unprocessed and unEQ'ed...?

almost immediately.

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 06:18:02 PM »

Take a cetain size tom and use the same heads on both lets say a ten inch and make sure you tune them equally. The Maple tom will sound brighter somwhat louder in a sense, and more rounded, while with birch, it's sort of deeper and more resonant. Birch is just a sexy tone man straight up...
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 06:24:28 PM »

...okay, first of all, tell your mentor that a "Drummer" and a "Drum Player" is the exact same thing. ;D  What he means is a "Percussionist" vs. "Drummer". ;)  Now, I'm not going to judge anyone because they don't know the wood types and characteristics of them.  We have many beginners on the site so I understand and it's the Vets. job to teach. (as JHaynes would state)

Hol up, hol up, now come on now JFunky no disrespect but me and you are probably from two different parts of the country. It's all a matter of terminology, not to say whats right or isnt. To sum things up a person who plays and knows and understands their craft is what we refer to as a "drummer". When we say someone is a "drum player", we refer to someone that may play but knows nothing about what they are doing, and dont get it twisted there's alot of Nice "drum players" They just dont have a lot of knowledge about what they're doin...They just...play
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

JFunky

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 06:39:17 PM »
Hol up, hol up, now come on now JFunky no disrespect but me and you are probably from two different parts of the country. It's all a matter of terminology, not to say whats right or isnt. To sum things up a person who plays and knows and understands their craft is what we refer to as a "drummer". When we say someone is a "drum player", we refer to someone that may play but knows nothing about what they are doing, and dont get it twisted there's alot of Nice "drum players" They just dont have a lot of knowledge about what they're doin...They just...play

...drumming is one language dawg.  Whether you're in Cali. or I'm in Florida, it's all one.  I understand what your mentor is saying doc'.  If you read Modern Drummer Mag. and any other Drum Mag. you will notice that this term is used often; Drumset Musician vs. Drummer.  It's not that deep though man.  Your mentor knows what he's talking about. 8)

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 06:44:29 PM »

almost immediately.

Take a cetain size tom and use the same heads on both lets say a ten inch and make sure you tune them equally. The Maple tom will sound brighter somwhat louder in a sense, and more rounded, while with birch, it's sort of deeper and more resonant. Birch is just a sexy tone man straight up...

That's not what I asked.

Can you walk into a room and hear a random drumset and tell if its maple, birch or whatever?

JFunky

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 07:12:45 PM »
...with maple and birch, sometimes you can't.  When Birch drums age, they too tend to have characteristics similar to Maple.  (More Sustain, Warm Sound, Nice Attack)  If it were Bubinga; yes.  Bubinga has a certain signature characteristic about 'em. 

...I think that in some cases the differences are heard when you're in the studio or in a mic'ed up situation.

HumbleGospelDrummer

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 07:14:04 PM »
i love the sound of maple, i have a Mapex Pro M, but i really like birch just as much, maybe a little more.  and like someone else said ive never someone say that maple is brighter than birch and birch is deeper than maple.

Offline soul_drummer

• LGM Member
  • Jesus, I Love You

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »
I prefer Maple over Birch. I just like warm sounding drums. Birch is cool though. That's what I use at my church. We have a Yamaha Recording Custom. I just need to change the heads. I'll be getting some clear Remo Emperorsfor the top and clear ambassadors for the bottom. Also the EMAD II with the EMAD Resonant or the EQ3 for the bass drum. Can't wait. God Bless.
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

JFunky

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 07:32:48 PM »

...man, let me help you.... 

Maple - it has smooth mid's and high's with slightly boosted low end frequencies. (Resonant wood shell)

Birch - it has boosted high frequencies with a slight reduction on the mid's and a nice
          low end.  That's why this wood is good if you need your drums to cut (great attack)
          and have more presence. (Low Resonance Level)

African Mahagony - Great low end frequencies with smooth mid's and reduced high frequencies.  This wood
                           gives you a great "Thunderous Lows" and if you're whole kit is made out of this, you'll 
                           have that old skool, stank, funk sound. lol  (Great for floor toms and bass drums)

Oak - This wood is very projective.  This is the "Loud and Bright" wood.  Great for unmiked
                  situations.

...Birch drums are desired in the studio because they provide more attack and don't have that much resonance as a Maple shell drum.  To say that Birch is more resonant than Maple is really not correct.

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 07:45:41 PM »

That's not what I asked.

Can you walk into a room and hear a random drumset and tell if its maple, birch or whatever?

Valid question. Just put it like this, if I walk into a room and hear a kit (excluding low budget/mid budget kits) and I don't like the sound, I can almost guarantee that it's maple. ;D

Just kidding. But for real, with close examination of both the woods not knowing which one is which, I'll most likelu pick the Birch kit. I do it all the time. I'll go to a music store or something of sort, start playing the different kits and gravitate to one particular kit and after further examination I find out it's a birch kit. It happens to me all the time.

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
Hey are you bashing us guys who cant afford those Maple kits?...lol.. J/k... I wish i was able to talk about this topic with you guys but... I dont own  great kits like you guys.... :'( :-\... The only thing I can discuss with you guys Is Oak.... My Musashi I very loud as JFunky said... And it has bright characteristics.... Like Funky said Oak is great for Un miced playing situations....
Richard

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 08:49:59 PM »
What's your wood?

Whatever sounds good to my ears, and what compliments the music the most.  I know that it sounds cliche, but it's the truth. 
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 11:08:59 PM »

Yes.

almost immediately.

You know i can prove it to you.

You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2007, 10:09:03 AM »
Yes.

You know i can prove it to you.

LOL!!!!

you just got lucky one time!  shut your mouth!!!   :P

Offline Sabipromark

• LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2007, 10:59:06 AM »
Well, since I am a Yamaha fan, I like the absolute maple. That has a wonderful.
Fred Tate Jr.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2007, 11:06:04 AM »
Well, since I am a Yamaha fan, I like the absolute maple. That has a wonderful.

Welcome to LGM!  Introduce yourself and type hard so that the vets can understand you!   ;D

Offline snareman

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2007, 12:03:08 PM »

that's what I wonder sometimes. once everything is mic'd, eq'd, and processed in the studio, who really knows? i started to put some music on here, and ask everyone what size and material was the snare, and what material were the toms and kick. But i never could figure out how to upload music on here. when i figure it out, i may still do it.

...man, let me help you.... 

Maple - it has smooth mid's and high's with slightly boosted low end frequencies. (Resonant wood shell)

Birch - it has boosted high frequencies with a slight reduction on the mid's and a nice
          low end.  That's why this wood is good if you need your drums to cut (great attack)
          and have more presence. (Low Resonance Level)

African Mahagony - Great low end frequencies with smooth mid's and reduced high frequencies.  This wood
                           gives you a great "Thunderous Lows" and if you're whole kit is made out of this, you'll 
                           have that old skool, stank, funk sound. lol  (Great for floor toms and bass drums)

Oak - This wood is very projective.  This is the "Loud and Bright" wood.  Great for unmiked
                  situations.

...Birch drums are desired in the studio because they provide more attack and don't have that much resonance as a Maple shell drum.  To say that Birch is more resonant than Maple is really not correct.

this is why i was questioning the descriptive words that some were using to explain why they like each wood. bright is not usually used to describe maple, and warm is not usually used to describe birch. i didn't wanna start a fight, though. i just thought it was kinda odd.

JFunky

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2007, 12:20:41 PM »
...you can upload stuff through LGM but it has to be original stuff. ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up