LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your wood?  (Read 5432 times)

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

Re: What's your wood?
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2007, 03:16:59 PM »
...drumming is one language dawg.  Whether you're in Cali. or I'm in Florida, it's all one.  I understand what your mentor is saying doc'.  If you read Modern Drummer Mag. and any other Drum Mag. you will notice that this term is used often; Drumset Musician vs. Drummer.  It's not that deep though man.  Your mentor knows what he's talking about. 8)

I hear you doc ;D
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2007, 04:41:57 PM »
that's what I wonder sometimes. once everything is mic'd, eq'd, and processed in the studio, who really knows? i started to put some music on here, and ask everyone what size and material was the snare, and what material were the toms and kick. But i never could figure out how to upload music on here. when i figure it out, i may still do it.

this is why i was questioning the descriptive words that some were using to explain why they like each wood. bright is not usually used to describe maple, and warm is not usually used to describe birch. i didn't wanna start a fight, though. i just thought it was kinda odd.

Yeah you should definately upload some music cause Im sick of everyone tryin to act like they can instantly tell the difference!  I will upload a clip and give $100 to the first person who guesses what shells Im using!  No mics.  No eq.  raw drums!  Who's up for the challenge?

I will send the video to JFunky so that he can see the set and the shells.  Then I will upload the audio from the video so that you guys can guess the shells.  What do you think J?  And I promise to give another $100 to the person who can tell me what heads I'm using! 

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2007, 04:51:55 PM »
Good idea.   
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2007, 04:52:53 PM »

Yeah you should definately upload some music cause Im sick of everyone tryin to act like they can instantly tell the difference!  I will upload a clip and give $100 to the first person who guesses what shells Im using!  No mics.  No eq.  raw drums!  Who's up for the challenge?

I will send the video to JFunky so that he can see the set and the shells.  Then I will upload the audio from the video so that you guys can guess the shells.  What do you think J?  And I promise to give another $100 to the person who can tell me what heads I'm using! 

Shoot. I'm down for it!

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2007, 05:00:04 PM »
What are the characteristics of basswood & phillipine mahogany? Seriously.

JFunky

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2007, 05:07:19 PM »

...that sounds cool but don't throw your money like that big pimpin'.  Gas prices are expensive and so are drumsheads. lol 

...I'm down though.  Let's do this man.  This ought to be fun. 

What are the characteristics of basswood & phillipine mahogany? Seriously.

...the characteristics are "cheap sounding drums". lol

...Seriously...it will still be a phillipine mahogony type of sound.  You know, ringy and many overtones.  The basswood is used as filler wood but the dominant wood will still be the P.M. 

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2007, 05:10:57 PM »
...the characteristics are "cheap sounding drums". lol

...Seriously...it will still be a phillipine mahogony type of sound.  You know, ringy and many overtones.  The basswood is used as filler wood but the dominant wood will still be the P.M. 

So, it's pretty much the same as poplar? Speaking of which, what kind of poplar is used in Exports?

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2007, 05:11:35 PM »
(in my best lil john voice)  OOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!  Its on!!!   :D

JFunky

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2007, 07:50:24 PM »
So, it's pretty much the same as poplar? Speaking of which, what kind of poplar is used in Exports?

...100% Poplar, what do ya think!? Gosh!!   ;D ;D

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »

...100% Poplar, what do ya think!? Gosh!!   ;D ;D

Massive   ;D

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2007, 10:52:06 PM »
Lol... come on JFunky. I just wanted to know if there was any particular difference in variations of poplar (Or if there ARE variants of poplar).

E.g. If they use african & phillipine mahogany... can the same be said for the likes of poplar? That's all I wanted know...

JFunky

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2007, 06:36:40 AM »
...dude, seriously.....I don't know.  Poplar is at the bottom of the pole buddy.  I'm not even going to do research on it. ;D ;D

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2007, 06:51:00 AM »
Alright Fre...here ya go:

Poplar:

Poplar is derived from fast growing straight medium hardwood trees and is a less expensive alternative to Birch and Maple. Its finish can be somewhat green in color and is therefore used in the inner ply layers as substitute for more expensive and less plentiful woods. It takes on more of the tone of birch or mahogany than maple.

Basswood:

Basswood is a great less expensive hardwood that mimics the sound of Maple to some, mahogany to others. Yet it is more plentiful and gives the manufacturer a price advantage.  It in many ways is an upgrade to luaan, or ramin and is often used as a core wood with a bit more of the lower register tone to it than realized out of maple. Its more like mahogany than maple.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2007, 07:39:19 AM »
...dude, seriously.....I don't know.  Poplar is at the bottom of the pole buddy.  I'm not even going to do research on it. ;D ;D

Thanks JFunky. ;D

Alright Fre...here ya go:

Poplar:

Poplar is derived from fast growing straight medium hardwood trees and is a less expensive alternative to Birch and Maple. Its finish can be somewhat green in color and is therefore used in the inner ply layers as substitute for more expensive and less plentiful woods. It takes on more of the tone of birch or mahogany than maple.

Basswood:

Basswood is a great less expensive hardwood that mimics the sound of Maple to some, mahogany to others. Yet it is more plentiful and gives the manufacturer a price advantage.  It in many ways is an upgrade to luaan, or ramin and is often used as a core wood with a bit more of the lower register tone to it than realized out of maple. Its more like mahogany than maple.

Lol... Thanks ER. I was really trying to find a way to justify the wood in my Export... ;D looks like the only justification is upgrading hehe...

JFunky

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2007, 08:07:09 AM »
...lmbo@Freddy and E-R.  I guess one man's junk is another one's treasure. lol

....by the way, if you find an older Export made from Mahagony, buy it and keep it.  I've heard many stories on how those are way better than the Poplar ones. ;)  There were even a few pro's that have used them on Live gigs. :o

...I think Sticksinmypocket has one of those. :-\

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2007, 08:23:57 AM »
...lmbo@Freddy and E-R.  I guess one man's junk is another one's treasure. lol

....by the way, if you find an older Export made from Mahagony, buy it and keep it.  I've heard many stories on how those are way better than the Poplar ones. ;)  There were even a few pro's that have used them on Live gigs. :o

...I think Sticksinmypocket has one of those. :-\

Well, the kit that I bought from a guy told me that he played it in a live gig a few times and he loved it!! Now If I wasnt just a church drummer I would invest in a nice high-end kit but why would I need one if Im not doing anything out of the ordinary?  Is poplar the same thing a Mahogany? :-\ :D....

Dont bash me guys... ;D
Richard

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2007, 08:52:47 AM »
Why not invest in something nice?  Aren't you worth it?   
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline pantherboy

• LGM Member
  • Official Soultone Artist; Aaron Smith

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2007, 08:55:39 AM »
Well my kit is All Birch, But my SNARES are made of, Birch, Maple, Cherry/Maple,and 100% Oak.

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2007, 08:59:31 AM »

Hey J-kay I don't have a job.. Im in the process of that now but until then Ill have to deal with what I got... But im not complaining because I am blessed to have a decent kit because alot of kits i see are pretty bad... I am worth it but I just cant afford it right now.. u know!!? :-\ :)
Richard

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2007, 09:00:45 AM »

Now thats....a STATEMENT! and AMEN, I'm worth it! lol.   ;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up