LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your wood?  (Read 5425 times)

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

Re: What's your wood?
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2007, 09:07:02 AM »
...lmbo@Freddy and E-R.  I guess one man's junk is another one's treasure. lol

....by the way, if you find an older Export made from Mahagony, buy it and keep it.  I've heard many stories on how those are way better than the Poplar ones. ;)  There were even a few pro's that have used them on Live gigs. :o

...I think Sticksinmypocket has one of those. :-\

Hmmm... Yo! sticksinmypocket you still need yours? ;D

Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna check out ebay etc. What range of years (ie the 80s, 90s, earlier?) am I after that will guarantee Mahogany Exports?

ER put me onto the Tamburo ASH kit & it seems interesting...

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
Why not invest in something nice?  Aren't you worth it?   

Massive.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2007, 09:10:17 AM »
Hmmm... Yo! sticksinmypocket you still need yours? ;D

Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna check out ebay etc. What range of years (ie the 80s, 90s, earlier?) am I after that will guarantee Mahogany Exports?

ER put me onto the Tamburo ASH kit & it seems interesting...

Tamburo is easy for you to come by...However, JFunk and I feel the same way, I'd rather have a GMS or a Ddrum Ash. Being that you live on another planet  ;D, I mean live in a remote location, you gotta work with what you got.

JFunky

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2007, 10:30:27 AM »
Well, the kit that I bought from a guy told me that he played it in a live gig a few times and he loved it!! Now If I wasnt just a church drummer I would invest in a nice high-end kit but why would I need one if Im not doing anything out of the ordinary?  Is poplar the same thing a Mahogany? :-\ :D....

Dont bash me guys... ;D

...dude, you're not reading the posts are you?  E-R just stated the difference between the woods. lol

...Pay Attention. ;D ;D

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2007, 12:53:46 PM »
I know what ER said but I was also refering to a post that I didnt reply to earlier...Someone said to get rid of the  Phil.Mahogany kit :-\.. I was just saying that I didnt think that I should invest into a highend kit when I dont need to... also I was responding to what you Said about how guys have played Exports..ect. in live gigs... I do read the post...  ;D :D
Richard

JFunky

« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2007, 01:05:35 PM »
Is poplar the same thing a Mahogany? :-\ :D....

Poplar:

Poplar is derived from fast growing straight medium hardwood trees and is a less expensive alternative to Birch and Maple. Its finish can be somewhat green in color and is therefore used in the inner ply layers as substitute for more expensive and less plentiful woods. It takes on more of the tone of birch or mahogany than maple.

Basswood:

Basswood is a great less expensive hardwood that mimics the sound of Maple to some, mahogany to others. Yet it is more plentiful and gives the manufacturer a price advantage.  It in many ways is an upgrade to luaan, or ramin and is often used as a core wood with a bit more of the lower register tone to it than realized out of maple. Its more like mahogany than maple.

I do read the post...  ;D :D

;D ;D ;D

Offline jax19

• LGM Member
    • JAX DRUMZ

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
watch ur mouth hotsticks don't get a hothead...lol... i kno darneal personally he's crazy coo and a nasty "drummer'' and 4 da past few months i've been making the 45 min drive 2 go to 'cuse & talk to him every so often 2 get advice from him myself...u gotta b hungry 4 it if ur hollaring at catz like "d"!
JAX

JFunky

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2007, 01:19:16 PM »
watch ur mouth hotsticks don't get a hothead...lol... i kno darneal personally he's crazy coo and a nasty "drummer'' and 4 da past few months i've been making the 45 min drive 2 go to 'cuse & talk to him every so often 2 get advice from him myself...u gotta b hungry 4 it if ur hollaring at catz like "d"!

... "What is you talkin' bout?"

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2007, 01:24:30 PM »
What in great Texas is this boy saying now???

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2007, 02:03:56 PM »
Now thats....a STATEMENT! and AMEN, I'm worth it! lol.   ;D ;D ;D

I'm worth it too. I just hope someone else thinks I'm worth it and go ahead and bless a man of God. Feel me? :D
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

JFunky

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2007, 02:13:08 PM »
I'm worth it too. I just hope someone else thinks I'm worth it and go ahead and bless a man of God. Feel me? :D

...dawg, God knows what we do and how we do it.  When the time is right, He'll do it. *Singing like that lil' girl on Fred Hammonds Latest DVD* ;D

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2007, 03:45:05 PM »
Maybe your right JFunky...??? ::) :-[.... ::) ?/?...Maybe I as day dreaming or something...haha...
Richard

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2007, 07:42:55 PM »
Ok Fam!  Let the games begin!!!

Here's the audio first.  After everyone's guesses, I will post the video that matches the audio.  Have fun!

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/15/647233/004-drum%20shell%20test.wma

Offline soul_drummer

• LGM Member
  • Jesus, I Love You

« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2007, 07:47:35 PM »
Ok Fam!  Let the games begin!!!

Here's the audio first.  After everyone's guesses, I will post the video that matches the audio.  Have fun!

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/15/647233/004-drum%20shell%20test.wma

I never said I could tell the difference....but I'm going to try. Birch???...hehe IDK
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2007, 08:20:32 PM »
They sound like drums to me!!! :P ::) ;D..Ill take a Wild Guess...I mean a Jungle book guess too!!...Ill say.....Maple??? IDK??? Beats me...
Richard

Offline soul_drummer

• LGM Member
  • Jesus, I Love You

« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2007, 09:25:17 PM »
Hey guys I'm about to buy a Ddrum kit. I got the money but the only thing is that I can't make up my mind on which one to get. Maple or Ash. I know how maple sounds and I love it but I haven't played on a Ddrum Ash kit before. I hear a lot of good things about the Ash kit but I'm not going to buy it based on what I hear from people. I want to try it for myself. or at least hear it. Anybody got any video or audio of a Ash kit??? Thanks...God Bless
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2007, 09:58:48 PM »
Hey guys I'm about to buy a Ddrum kit. I got the money but the only thing is that I can't make up my mind on which one to get. Maple or Ash. I know how maple sounds and I love it but I haven't played on a Ddrum Ash kit before. I hear a lot of good things about the Ash kit but I'm not going to buy it based on what I hear from people. I want to try it for myself. or at least hear it. Anybody got any video or audio of a Ash kit??? Thanks...God Bless

I own a Ddrum Maple kit. I would say get the Ash. But, I dont have proof. just what I own...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up