LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: You know you're a bass player when..  (Read 6042 times)

Offline basspassion26

• LGM Member

You know you're a bass player when..
« on: May 02, 2007, 08:48:34 AM »
I saw this at another post, so add on

You know you're a bass player when you have to continuously correct people when they call your bass a "guitar" and you tell them "no it's not just a guitar, it's a bass guitar."

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

Re: You know you're a bass player when..
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 10:37:17 AM »
I saw this at another post, so add on

You know you're a bass player when you have to continuously correct people when they call your bass a "guitar" and you tell them "no it's not just a guitar, it's a bass guitar."

I do this all the time. People still look at me like I'm crazy.

You know you're a bass player when watching videos you always say "how come the bass player desn't get much camera time."

You know your're a bass player when you have something to say when a decoration of some sort is a treble cleff and not a bass cleff.

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 01:32:14 PM »
I do this all the time. People still look at me like I'm crazy.

Me too, even with the kids...

Kid: Hey, you playin a guh-tar?
Me: NAW, I ain't playin' no GUH-TAR.  It's a BASS.

Gotta learn 'em early. ;D

Offline RedsFan75

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 01:43:59 PM »
You know you're a bass player when watching videos you always say "how come the bass player desn't get much camera time."

I remember watching Ron Kenoly's "Lift Him Up" video and when they got to Abraham Laboriel's solo work, and getting irritated because they didn't give him much camera time!

Offline MrEdabass

• LGM Member
    • My youtube

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 01:54:04 PM »
I do it to. I think i did last week. lol! But its not as bad as my drummer hu thinks its funny to call all guitars and basses harps. lol
Jesus

And you'll never find one greater

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 02:07:51 PM »
I do it to. I think i did last week. lol! But its not as bad as my drummer hu thinks its funny to call all guitars and basses harps. lol

LOL

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 04:48:57 PM »
You know you're a bass player when:

The keyboard player tells the band to break and, while the drummer keeps time on his hats, he runs bass riffs with his left hand (while you stand there looking stupid).

Offline RedsFan75

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 05:48:08 PM »
You know you're a bass player when:

The keyboard player tells the band to break and, while the drummer keeps time on his hats, he runs bass riffs with his left hand (while you stand there looking stupid).

Been there!!!

Offline carlmack7183

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Carl's Business

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 06:54:54 PM »
Yeah I go through this too. But on more of a serious note, I really think it is important that as bass players, we do make everyone see the distinction between a lead and a bass. The reason I personally correct people is b/c as a kid my church never had a bass player and I would wonder, "How does that organist get those low notes with only an organ?" Years went by and I wondered that. When i was 13 I started organ lessons b/c I loved those lownotes. So once my teacher realized that I would try to mainly use the bass pedals on the organ, he said "Hey maybe you should try bass guitar." I never knew that there was a distinct difference b/t a bass and a lead, so I could have saved myself years of puzzlement had I known the simple difference.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 07:51:35 PM »
Yeah I go through this too. But on more of a serious note, I really think it is important that as bass players, we do make everyone see the distinction between a lead and a bass. The reason I personally correct people is b/c as a kid my church never had a bass player and I would wonder, "How does that organist get those low notes with only an organ?" Years went by and I wondered that. When i was 13 I started organ lessons b/c I loved those lownotes. So once my teacher realized that I would try to mainly use the bass pedals on the organ, he said "Hey maybe you should try bass guitar." I never knew that there was a distinct difference b/t a bass and a lead, so I could have saved myself years of puzzlement had I known the simple difference.

and the difference between a lead guitar and a rhythm guitar. sorry I had to, we were on the topic of bass/guitar......... lol

Offline craigory

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 09:00:13 PM »
This is FUNNY!!!
I'm havin' a great time reading this!! My Pastor has finally got it straight. He used to say the "G" word. Now he
calls me the "bass fiddle" player and always laughs after it.
And yes... "We be" in the background on stage and in videos but like my buddy (the drummer) used to say "This is headquarters!"

Offline basspassion26

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 12:51:59 PM »
most of these aren't mine but they are so true.

...you find yourself humming to the bass line in songs instead of the melody. (and get laughed at)

...you listen to a song and immediately try to figure out the bass line on your bass

...You get agitated when people say that playing bass is easier than playing guitar

....You know who Jaco, wooten, miller, gouche, fitzgerald, graham, jamerson, clark are

...you constantly move your fingers or play slap on inapropriate objects such as the end of a table

...you go to sleep thinking about that cool bass riff you just heard

....if you had the choice of eating that day, or replacing a broken string, it's no contest (well I don't know about this one 'cause I be hungry)

...you fall down a majestic flight of metal stairs backstage  and instead of letting go of your bass and grabbing something, you clutch it like a small child all the way down as your bandmates hear you shout.

...You keep tuning into ESPN to watch "Bassmasters" and are getting upset because they keep substituting it with some fishing show.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 05:13:44 PM »
most of these aren't mine but they are so true.

...you find yourself humming to the bass line in songs instead of the melody. (and get laughed at)

...you listen to a song and immediately try to figure out the bass line on your bass

...You get agitated when people say that playing bass is easier than playing guitar

....You know who Jaco, wooten, miller, gouche, fitzgerald, graham, jamerson, clark are

...you constantly move your fingers or play slap on inapropriate objects such as the end of a table

...you go to sleep thinking about that cool bass riff you just heard

....if you had the choice of eating that day, or replacing a broken string, it's no contest (well I don't know about this one 'cause I be hungry)

...you fall down a majestic flight of metal stairs backstage  and instead of letting go of your bass and grabbing something, you clutch it like a small child all the way down as your bandmates hear you shout.

...You keep tuning into ESPN to watch "Bassmasters" and are getting upset because they keep substituting it with some fishing show.

I don't like it when people say that one is easier then the other.

Offline BassAddict

• LGM Member
    • Myspace

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 06:24:41 PM »

I do these 2 all the time...I'll be riding down the road listening to a song and thinking about how the bass line is fretted in my head. And that is kind of cool to because I remember when I could never figure out bass lines but getting familiar with different phrasings definitely helps in transposing.
Acts 4:12

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 12:52:32 AM »
You know youre a bass player when you dont get paid. :D
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline Groovesmith

• LGM Member
  • Daddy and his little blessing from God.

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 03:52:02 AM »
The drummer is asking you to hand him his stick bag during a song like its cool if the bass stops but heaven forbid the drums stop!!  And your not the closest person to him the keyboards and/or the organ is set up closer.
Groovesmith

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 10:51:22 AM »
Me too, even with the kids...

Kid: Hey, you playin a guh-tar?
Me: NAW, I ain't playin' no GUH-TAR.  It's a BASS.

Gotta learn 'em early. ;D

That's Funny, I got a mental image of a little "snotty nosed" kid, trying to pluck your strings with sticky hands from a sucker, while askin'.

When my 5 Year old was younger she called it a "Butar", for about a week, no matter how much I corrected her... I guess Bass Guitar was too much... Now she says, it like a champ... Gotta Learn 'em.  Man.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 03:52:54 PM »
That's Funny, I got a mental image of a little "snotty nosed" kid, trying to pluck your strings with sticky hands from a sucker, while askin'.

When my 5 Year old was younger she called it a "Butar", for about a week, no matter how much I corrected her... I guess Bass Guitar was too much... Now she says, it like a champ... Gotta Learn 'em.  Man.

My god-son is going to be 5 in July. He was born with his mother being a MOM and dad snag to. (I was the bass player). My goson since was able to speak he was calling a guitar a E-tar. I was not time he was able to tell the difference between a E-tar and a Bass E-tar. still said E-tar but uncle Mike played a Bass E-tar.

Offline trsmooth

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 10:08:44 PM »
you know you're a bass player when at your church and all the younger kids only want to learn to play drums or organ...........

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 01:15:35 AM »
When you're driving and you thump and pluck the steering wheel as you listen.

When you've done your very best, do even better.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up