LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The LGM Ultimate Music Theory Collection  (Read 125509 times)

Offline jayfar

• LGM Member

Re: The LGM Ultimate Music Theory Collection
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 01:54:57 PM »
Wow  ;D Thanks alot T-Block. Now maybe it won't take me 3 weeks to learn one song. LOL. But seriously, with that being said should I spend more time learning scales and progressions to the point of reflex/memory or more time learning the songs themselves. If I may ask what is your background, do you have a degree in music because your answers are so detailed. Thanks for the help.

Offline jayfar

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 02:00:40 PM »
Just a couple of more questions. Sorry. Is there a method to changing chord structure/voiceing for the organ as oppossed to keyboard? I mean the organ is where I want to untimatly end up so how can I prepare myself for the transition to "think" organ if you will.  And also with all the instructional DVD's avail which do u suggest? Thanks again.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 02:03:56 PM »
Wow  ;D Thanks alot T-Block. Now maybe it won't take me 3 weeks to learn one song. LOL. But seriously, with that being said should I spend more time learning scales and progressions to the point of reflex/memory or more time learning the songs themselves. If I may ask what is your background, do you have a degree in music because your answers are so detailed. Thanks for the help.

I'd say first concentrate on learning all your notes and the all major & minor scales.  Then, move on to chords and chord progressions.  Learning chord progressions will help you learn songs faster.  Plus, it will be easy for you to use those same chords and techniques to learn other songs similar to it.  The danger in concentrating on songs is the chords and stuff you figure out will more than likely be the only ones u use for that particular song in that particular key.  Then, if u in a situation where someone sings the same song in a different key, you will be lost.

I am currently working towards earing a BA in Music Education.  I started my theory training way back when I first started learning the piano 9 years ago.  Since then I've taken most of the college theory courses so I pretty much got a strong theory background.  I started out learning the classical style, then I wanted to learn gospel.  So, I used all my classical knowledge and applied it to gospel music.  I try to make sure all my posts are as detailed and easy as possible that even a baby can understand it, lol.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 02:06:45 PM »
Just a couple of more questions. Sorry. Is there a method to changing chord structure/voiceing for the organ as oppossed to keyboard? I mean the organ is where I want to untimatly end up so how can I prepare myself for the transition to "think" organ if you will.  And also with all the instructional DVD's avail which do u suggest? Thanks again.

Well, I know nothing about the organ except the notes, so I can't help you there.  All i can say is the organ doesn't have a sustain pedal, so you gotta be creative in your fingering of chords so that you have a continuous sound equal to holding down the sustain pedal on a keyboard/piano.  As far as instructional DVDs, I have not purchased any, I learned on my own and I think I turned out well w/out them, so I can't suggest any.

Offline jayfar

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 02:13:49 PM »
thanks. I appreciate all the knowledge. Have a blessed weekend!

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 04:08:13 PM »
Hey whatsup? I found some great links that has Music Theory.

http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/html/id57_en.html
http://chordmaps.com/index.htm

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 05:51:39 AM »
Awesome stuff Dwest, that is a great site 8)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2008, 05:54:58 AM »
Hi Every1, if Theory's your thing, U HAVE2 HAVE2 view this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=aYJTD97Hx70C&pg=PA27&lpg=PA27&dq=what+is+a+sub+chord&source=web&ots=ZyoRWlx88E&sig=-a--hD_B6qZwtz7s4cThGv9swaU#PPA64,M1

This book contains great theory on tensions, from 7th to 13th etc..

I hope the wizards here will explain some of the stuff 2 us babies in simple terms..
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 05:45:54 PM »
A few more topic links have been added to the board.  Check it out if you already haven't!!!

Offline CESharp

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Good Mornting......Hellerrrrrrrr!!!!

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 10:53:53 AM »
I just wanna say that YOU are truly allowing the Lord to use You in teaching us..........I know God is throwing all kinds of blessings your way.......all because of your Helping ministry

Thank you again
Carla E.
Canaan Church (Urbana, Illinois)
U of I

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2008, 10:58:45 AM »
Some more links have been added to the list.  Keep practicing!!!  ;)  :D  ;D

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 12:09:40 PM »
I have added a few more links.  Make sure to stop by and check it out.

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2008, 06:22:58 AM »

A few instructional DVD's that I suggest
http://www.giftedplayer.com/   
http://www.hearandplay.com/gk.html
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline willijah

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Page

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 02:03:40 PM »
can someone provide and example of c diminished scale?

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 02:44:11 PM »
can someone provide and example of c diminished scale?

Well there are many types of diminished scales, but the regular Diminished use the scale degrees 1, 2, b3, 4, b5, b6, 6, and 7.

In C, that would be:  C  D  Eb  F  Gb  Ab  A  B

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 03:25:31 PM »
Hey whatsup? I found a website.

http://randscullard.com/CircleOfFifths/

Offline KJR

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2008, 12:16:15 PM »
Thank you for welcoming me with open arms.  I will use these tools as they were intended.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2009, 06:54:50 PM »
T, this is really good.  REALLY GOOD.  It's so awesome for you to take the time and organize all of this stuff for free.  And the tips for learning a song are priceless.  I've always wanted someone to break it down like that for me.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2009, 07:23:45 AM »
T, this is really good.  REALLY GOOD.  It's so awesome for you to take the time and organize all of this stuff for free.  And the tips for learning a song are priceless.  I've always wanted someone to break it down like that for me.

You're welcome nessa. I really have a heart for helping others become great musicians.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2009, 10:18:47 AM »
You're welcome nessa. I really have a heart for helping others become great musicians.
I worked on this some last night, and I am really excited!  I was hitting a brick wall in trying to find out how to expand upon what I have learned so far, and that explanation on page 1 really helped me a lot.

I know it's a shame I've been on LGM this long with access to all of this help and haven't really scratched the surface, but I would get very intimidated and not know where to start for me.  I know the very basics, but not enough to tie it all together and do a decent job on my own.  When I chord songs it's very basic and sounds like a simple, stripped down version of the actual song.  So I started at the top of your list, and scrolled through the stuff I already know, and just started where I felt I was getting to what I needed.  I look forward to seeing my progress.

You take away all excuses, I feel like if you and Val and DD and others are going to this much trouble to make all of this available, the least I can do is put some time in and see if I can get better.  So much available for free, and so few people take advantage of it.  I'm also blessed to be in a position where I'm not the primary musician, and so I'm not rushed to learn songs any more, I can just learn at my own pace, and hopefully when an opportunity arises, I'll be better equipped.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up