LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Wrist get tight?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Da1witdastix

• LGM Member

Your Wrist get tight?
« on: May 04, 2007, 10:53:47 PM »
when im playin at a gig or something for a long time my wrist get tight and it's hard to move.. after every church service or w.e we are at. we shedd for at least a hour or untill they start flickin the lights on and off....when  i do a fill,  my wrist tighten up and i have used my arms..does this eva happen to you? are there any excersice i can do or something...God bless

J Dot....
I don\'t need a month I make history er\'yday

drummin4JC

Re: Your Wrist get tight?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 12:19:42 PM »
This used to happen to me all the time check on your technique... sometimes what helps me is before i play i just stretch my hands and or my wrists. Do some rudiments before playing just to warm up your wrists! this is what i do and it helps me.

Offline TightestGroove

• LGM Member
  • LIVE BY THE STANDARD, PLAY BY THE STANDARD

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 03:13:09 PM »
I suggest getting Dave Wekl's back to basics dvd. He says it has to do with the way you hold the stick, the space between your thumb and your pointing fingure should never close up ever, because it causes everything in your arm to tighten up.

:o TIGHTEST GROOVE :o
EAT, SLEEP, BREATHE DRUMS; CAN'T STOP 'TILL I GET ENOUGH!

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 07:37:31 PM »
when im playin at a gig or something for a long time my wrist get tight and it's hard to move.. after every church service or w.e we are at. we shedd for at least a hour or untill they start flickin the lights on and off....when  i do a fill,  my wrist tighten up and i have used my arms..does this eva happen to you? are there any excersice i can do or something...God bless

J Dot....

Dude I had that problem for so long...Man I used to be up there playin like shout music or even devotional songs and my wrist used to straight lock. One thing I did that I saw my mentor do is is when you feel the tightness rather than hold the stick in between your index finger and your thumb, put it in between your index finger and you middle finger. It might feel weird at first but the truth is the different position doesnt hinder any of your rudiments or skills and you wont loose your grip either. Another thing, I tried to day was I stretched and twisted my wrists around to loosen up before service began. I noticed there wasnt nearly as much tightness.
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 07:52:27 PM »
Two words: warm up! 

It's surprising to know that most don't know the importance of a proper warm up.  That's not to say to get on the kit or pad and start to 'blaze'.  Think about it - do you see track runners or athletes go all out without a proper warm up?  If so, you know that they'd be in a world of hurt, based on the fact that their muscles are not properly stretched and warmed up.  Playing the drums parallels this athletic example, because playing the drums is a physical thing. 

With that said, what I do is play nice and even strokes on my pad (singles or doubles).  Tempo is not a concern because I know what my threshold of speed is.  Consistency of sound and also getting the blood flowing and getting the  muscles and fingers relaxed.  This exercise is done for at least 15-20 minutes, with the latter only being achieved if I have that much time to warm up for that long. 

Stick grip is also a major factor.  I can't tell you how many times I've read how your wrist is locking up, or that 'my hand/fingers hurt' after playing.  Ease up on the tension of those sticks!  This is also an integral factor in the sound that you produce when playing the drums and cymbals. 

Try it, and trust me, it will benefit you greatly. 
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline lhsco06

• LGM Member
  • Me...Doing What I Do Best
    • Vanda's Midi's

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 09:05:42 PM »
Well, I probably havent been playin as long as yall.  ::) But to keep my wrist from lockin up, like the people said before, stretch out ur muscels first...and me I like to play with a firm grip, not to tight and not to loose.           Lol, well I tried  :D
Vanda "Lil Maestro"

" PlaY iT lIke a RoCksTar...LIke toTaLLy dUDe! "

Offline 002

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 09:36:43 PM »
Well, I probably havent been playin as long as yall.  ::) But to keep my wrist from lockin up, like the people said before, stretch out ur muscels first...and me I like to play with a firm grip, not to tight and not to loose.           Lol, well I tried  :D

Welcome to LGM.

*Vanishes*
The NSA: Keeping LGM Safe

drummin4JC

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 09:00:07 AM »
Welcome to LGM.

*Vanishes*

wow i havnt seen this guy for a minute!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up