LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekend Shed....October 10th  (Read 819 times)

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

Weekend Shed....October 10th
« on: October 10, 2008, 10:24:55 AM »
Praise the Lord Praise the Lord. Whatever you are doing when you read this shed stop and Praise God if for nothing else than you have your sight and can read this weeks weekend shed....Me, I am so thankful for my life, family, friends health...Have to give a praise report...

Back in June I joined weight watchers at work through our wellness program. I used to kind of smirk at weight watchers but I said let me try and see. I wanted to change my lifestyle of eating the wrong way and especially after going to the doctor and weighing in at 260...I am 5'9 and have always been able to lose weight when I wanted to but since hitting my 40's the matabolisim just doesn't react as fast as it used to. I was floored! In my mind I was closer to 300lbs than 200lbs. So I went to the first meeting, the first week I lost 8lbs and decided to ride out the 17 week program. Monday was the last day of the 17 week program and I lost 32lbs. The best part is that a few weeks ago I went back to my doctor to have my annual physical with all the "works". When my tests came back the doctor called me and asked me to come in. Usually if everything is ok he just tells me over the phone. So I went in and was praying because I knew something was wrong. The doctor told me that it was the best physical I have had in 10 years! Every test came back negative or in good standings....All I could do was say "Thank You Jesus!" I have felt better than I can remember, I sleep better at night, my wife says I don't snore anymore so she is Praising God as well!  :D   :D Alot of people ask me how long I am going to stay on my diet and I tell them that this is a lifestyle change. I work out 4-5 a week at the gym. I have to go and buy all new clothes because everythin is sagging on me now. My point in sharing this is not to brag but to help with health awareness. We need to eat right, exercise and stay fit. Our mind and body will work and function better, we will have more energy to spend time perfecting our gifts and crafts that God has blessed us with and just feel better. I feel alot more alert and do have more energy to practice....

With that said, have a blessed weekend shedding for Christ. We have the high energy Youth Choir this week and they do bring it!

God bless the moderators for this sight. You are doing a great job!!

Que...
May God's Grace & Mercy smile upon you!

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

Re: Weekend Shed....October 10th
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 12:15:27 PM »
Thanks, Que, for sharing your story.  My physical build is not the same as yours but I too am battling keeping my weight under control.  As Black men it is so important that we monitor our health.

This weekend I have two rehearsals with the group, and at church we are doing Never Would Have Made It, God Is, and The Lord Is Blessing Me Right Now.

Also, please keep your fingers crossed that I finally sell my bass and amp. I have talked to two interested parties but you know how that can go. :)

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 12:24:19 PM »
well i have been working on getting better health wise. been eating better. getting exercise is the issue for me. back when i was in school i was playing basketball in the gym 5 days a week (for like 4+ hours a day) and going to kung-fu class on saturdays. I was in the best shape of my life circa 2004. 2005 - enter the real world. having to work a 9-5 sitting at a computer for 8 hours a day was a real crash for me. gained so much weight (thats sucks, but i wasnt a broke student anymore. lol)

I still go to my kung-fu class, so i ended up gaining more muscle mass to compensate for the extra weight to still be able to perform at the same level and i had some exercise but it wasnt enough. I started playing basketball (because i need cardio more than strength training and treadmills are sooooo boring), but Lord knows grown men crying and whining like little children because they losing makes u not want to be bothered at all.

Practicing music takes a lot of my time, but i believe because its for God, He will open up other opportunities for me to work on other things, like make time for exercise.

On the music front, we did have rehearsals this week for the choir and p&w team, and we did pretty ok. for thursday night service p&w was only one song the slow congregation/song "hallelujah" (not sure if thats the name of it) but that song really brought out some worship and i was flowing so well on that song, u wouldve thought i was playin for years. (but those are my kind of songs though) so its good to have those moments when u realize ur playing has come a long way.

i pray that sunday has that same unleashing of the Spirit.

For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 03:56:09 PM »
Thanks, Que, for sharing your story.  My physical build is not the same as yours but I too am battling keeping my weight under control.  As Black men it is so important that we monitor our health.

This weekend I have two rehearsals with the group, and at church we are doing Never Would Have Made It, God Is, and The Lord Is Blessing Me Right Now.

Also, please keep your fingers crossed that I finally sell my bass and amp. I have talked to two interested parties but you know how that can go. :)

Those are all good and fun songs to do so enjoy.....You will do fine on the sale..just lend a brother a dollar when you do...LOL!!

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 04:02:04 PM »
well i have been working on getting better health wise. been eating better. getting exercise is the issue for me. back when i was in school i was playing basketball in the gym 5 days a week (for like 4+ hours a day) and going to kung-fu class on saturdays. I was in the best shape of my life circa 2004. 2005 - enter the real world. having to work a 9-5 sitting at a computer for 8 hours a day was a real crash for me. gained so much weight (thats sucks, but i wasnt a broke student anymore. lol)

I still go to my kung-fu class, so i ended up gaining more muscle mass to compensate for the extra weight to still be able to perform at the same level and i had some exercise but it wasnt enough. I started playing basketball (because i need cardio more than strength training and treadmills are sooooo boring), but Lord knows grown men crying and whining like little children because they losing makes u not want to be bothered at all.

Practicing music takes a lot of my time, but i believe because its for God, He will open up other opportunities for me to work on other things, like make time for exercise.

On the music front, we did have rehearsals this week for the choir and p&w team, and we did pretty ok. for thursday night service p&w was only one song the slow congregation/song "hallelujah" (not sure if thats the name of it) but that song really brought out some worship and i was flowing so well on that song, u wouldve thought i was playin for years. (but those are my kind of songs though) so its good to have those moments when u realize ur playing has come a long way.

i pray that sunday has that same unleashing of the Spirit.

I am with you there. I used to play ball everyday but as I got older, career took off, marriage, etc. I got out of my routine and most of all started relying on eating fast food. I haven't eaten fast food since May and now when I even go near a McDonalds, etc. I actually get nausious.

Another note, I am not sure how old everyone is but FELLAS, make sure you have the prostate checked even if your doctor says you have time. It is a problem amoung black males and prostate cancer appears earlier in men of color. The other bass player at my church announced last week that he had prostate cancer, he is 47..the doctor kept telling him he could wait until he was 50 but I told him to insist on getting it checked and he did, the result is that it was caught very early and can get it taken care of.

I started getting mine checked when I was 35 and I will be 45 in November Lord willing.....Better to have peace of mind.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 04:12:46 PM »
i've heard that u should start getting that checked regularly no later than 40. ive been making small adjustments, i believe thats the best way to go, that way they become more permanent and consistent in ur life, rather than huge drastic changes that are hard to keep up with. i still eat fast food (usually a wendy's chicken sandwich) but not very often and practically cut out chinese food for the most part. when i go out to eat i order fish or chicken. started learning how to cook (im 26 so its about time. lol). Thankfully the Lord has blessed me with the weird combination of great health but sucky health coverage (i think the other way around is worse).
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 07:51:59 PM »
Great testimonies!

I know what I want to do exercise wise it's just that my eating habits suck and I don't really know how to change them.  Salads and wraps are going to get real old real fast.  I'm always on the move and pretty much everything except for salads and wraps will take too much time for me to cook.  Then again I'm sure I haven't explored every option so if you have any suggestions please drop me a line.

Pages: [1]   Go Up