LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: This is for bass players just starting out...  (Read 70780 times)

Offline New_Beginnings

• LGM Member
  • Y'all aint ready yet...

Re: This is for bass players just starting out...
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 09:45:26 AM »
I am learning to play the bass.... This is a blessing... Thanks "Keys410" Can anyone recommend a particular brand.... Also, I am headed to SamAsh today, what do I buy? I hope I dont sound ignorant... but when I learned to play the drums, I knew what set, and sticks were easy, but I know NOTHING about the bass, just that I want to learn to play... Can anyone help me out?
All things happen for a reason...

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 12:50:42 PM »
Here's another great source for beginners, intermediate, and advanced players looking to expand their knowledge of the fretboard....

http://www.guitar-and-bass.com/

God Bless,
J

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 12:26:23 AM »
Good job Keys410!

I'll be saying "Victor Who?" in no time! lol 8)

Offline newbassplayer12

• LGM Member
  • my newest addition

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 10:52:58 PM »
hey look i am a new best player just getting started and dont really know anything about it what would you advise for me to do in this situation.  but on the other hand my brother ddwilkins is awesome on the bass
the race is not about the strong or the swift. but he who endureth till the end

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 09:31:28 PM »
continue with what i've told you and begin to learn scales.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline newbassplayer12

• LGM Member
  • my newest addition

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 09:27:26 AM »
what are scales
the race is not about the strong or the swift. but he who endureth till the end

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 11:02:17 AM »
what are scales

FROM WIKIPEDIA:
In music, a scale is a group of musical notes that provides material for part or all of a musical work. Scales are ordered in pitch or pitch class, with their ordering providing a measure of musical distance............

In many musical circumstances, a specific note of the scale will be chosen as the "tonic"--the central and most stable note of the scale. Relative to a choice of tonic, the notes of a scale are often labeled with numbers recording how many scale steps above the tonic they are. For example, the notes of the C diatonic scale (C, D, E, F, G, A, B) can be labeled {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7}, reflecting the choice of C as tonic. The term "scale degree" refers to these numerical labels. In the C diatonic scale, with C chosen as tonic, C is the first scale degree, D is the second scale degree, and so on.

IN PLAIN ENGLISH:
In Western oriented music, there are essentially 12 notes, A, A#/Bb, B, C, C#/Db, D, D#/Eb, E, F, F#/Gb, G, G#/Ab.

Where you see "#" that means SHARP.  Where you see "b", that means FLAT.  A# and Bb are basically the same note.  What you call it and how you write it depends on what key you are in.

A KEY is basically a way of telling the musician what NOTES he/she has to select from and how to manage those selections when applying them to a SCALE.  Every song has a KEY.  Every KEY has a variety of SCALES.  In the KEY of C, the notes are C, Db, D, Eb, E, F, Gb, G, Ab, A, Bb, B

A Major SCALE in the KEY of C would be C, D, E, F, G, A, B.  It's a subset of the notes available to you in the KEY of C.

One Minor SCALE in the KEY of C would be C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb, C.  A different subset of the notes available to you in the KEY of C.

Hope that helps.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline pnlbrown

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 08:31:08 AM »
Which number goes with which finger? Also if that is the major scale pattern what is the minor scale pattern?
P. Brown

Offline pnlbrown

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2008, 09:12:15 AM »
OK disregard my first question. I finally figured it out so I guess my question would be, if some one is throwing numbers at you, how do you know which note to play if two notes have the same number? Ex: D-3 and E-3 and C-3.
P. Brown

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2008, 09:42:16 AM »
Which number goes with which finger?

There's not one answer to this question.  It depends on what key you are playing in and how you select your notes for that key.  For example, if I am playing the C-Major scale I could play it starting with my middle finger on the  3rd fret of the A string.Then my fingering would be like this...

• C: Middle finger - 3rd fret, A-string
  • D: Pinky finger - 5th fret, A string
  • E: Index finger - 2nd fret, D string
  • F: Middle finger - 3rd fret, D string
  • G: Pinky finger - 5th fret, D string
  • A: Index finger - 2nd fret, G string
  • B: Ring finger - 4th fret, G string
  • C: Pinky finger - 5th fret, G string

This could also easily be played as

• C: Pinky finger - 8th fret, E-string
  • D: Index finger - 5th fret, A string
  • E: Ring finger - 7th fret, A string
  • F: Pinky finger - 8th fret, A string
  • G: Index finger - 5th fret, D string
  • A: Ring finger - 7th fret, D string
  • B: Index finger - 4th fret, G string
  • C: Middle finger - 5th fret, G string

There are even more ways to play the C Major scale if you want to use open strings.

Also if that is the major scale pattern what is the minor scale pattern?

In my original post I detailed ONE way to play a Minor scale.  There are several types of Minor scales.  I'd have to get into a discussion on Modes to correctly describe them all.  Look at my June 18th post, near the end of it and you'll see the note pattern for one type of minor scale.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2008, 11:03:09 AM »
OK disregard my first question. I finally figured it out so I guess my question would be, if some one is throwing numbers at you, how do you know which note to play if two notes have the same number? Ex: D-3 and E-3 and C-3.

They would not have the same number.  If you are in the Key of C,  or playing a C Major Chord, the 3 is E.

Now in the example you gave it COULD BE that what they are saying is "the Chord is D, play the 3rd" (which would be F#) and  "Chord is E, play the 3rd (G#) and "Chord is C, play the 3rd (E).

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline pnlbrown

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2008, 10:42:55 PM »
They would not have the same number.  If you are in the Key of C,  or playing a C Major Chord, the 3 is E.

Now in the example you gave it COULD BE that what they are saying is "the Chord is D, play the 3rd" (which would be F#) and  "Chord is E, play the 3rd (G#) and "Chord is C, play the 3rd (E).

Peace,

James

Well I gave that example because of the example that started this forum. In the key of C notes d, g, and c have a 3. That is why I ask about the numbers and knowing which not to play.
P. Brown

Offline pnlbrown

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2008, 10:44:15 PM »
Also thanks for responding with those examples on different fingering
P. Brown

Offline MrEdabass

• LGM Member
    • My youtube

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2008, 04:03:13 PM »
I don't know if this has already been posted but here's a resource about heads and cabinet speakers. http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_amps/how_to_hook_up_heads_and_cabinets.html
Jesus

And you'll never find one greater

Offline jlgadson

• LGM Member
  • Easter 2009

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2008, 11:33:03 PM »
i was with until this point:

The pattern would be:

C=1,D=3,E=5,F=1,G=3,A=5,B=2,C=3

That pattern 1-3-5,1-3-5,2-3 will work on any scale.

*Please note the 1,3,5 are not the fret numbers but the pattern*Also this pattern is for the Major scales
Psalms 28:3

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 07:44:02 AM »
i was with until this point:

The pattern would be:

C=1,D=3,E=5,F=1,G=3,A=5,B=2,C=3

That pattern 1-3-5,1-3-5,2-3 will work on any scale.

*Please note the 1,3,5 are not the fret numbers but the pattern*Also this pattern is for the Major scales

The part highlighted in RED DOES define the fret numbers.  The difficulty in transitioning between tab and chord charts is exactly this point of confusion.  What do the numbers mean?  In this case, the numbers appear to mean fret positions.

For a 5 string bass tuned BEADG,
C is the B string FRET 1  D is B string FRET 3  E is B string FRET 5
F is the E string FRET 1  G is E string FRET 3  A is E string FRET 5
B is the A string FRET 2  C is A string FRET 3

1-3-5,1-3-5,2-3 as you have described it is a TAB description of how to look at playing a Scale.

If you were playing a 1-3-5 chord in the C scale, you have to FORGET ABOUT the numbers referring to FRETS and think about the numbers referring to the note placement in the scale.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C D E F G A B C

You would play just the BLUE notes, C-E-G to play a 1-3-5 chord in the key of C.

There are a number of ways to play C-E-G on a bass.  You could play
1st fret B string (C) + 5th fret B string (E) + 3rd fret E string (G) or
1st fret B string (C) + open E string + 3rd fret E string (G) or
3rd fret A string (C) + 2nd fret D string (E) + 5th fret D string (G) or
8th fret E string (C) + 7th fret A string (E) + 5th fret D string

You can play a 1-3-5 chord all over the fingerboard. 

Hope that helped!

Peace,

James

FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline Chaffeekid

• LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2008, 07:42:42 AM »
Hey Keys, thanks.  I just copied the Bass Notes to notepad and printed it.  This will help a lot.  Just started on the Bass Guitar, I also play standard guitar a little, cornet, Trombone and french horn.  But those were years ago.  The scales are coming back to me, I remember what my music teacher taught me many years ago for the base cleff.
The notes on the lines are  E G B D F A which is remembered by Every Good Boy Does Fine Always.  The notes in the spaces are remembered by, A C E G or All Cows Eat Grass.
Thanks again
Happy Trails
Praise God
[/size

Offline KayMusic

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 10:17:39 AM »
This information was very useful. I started the bass guitar on Friday and I'm getting far already. To God Be the glory great things He hath done. I think my knowledge come from already playing the piano, for noting and fingering sake, drums, for rhythm sake, and a lot more. Thanks.

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2009, 10:58:35 AM »
This information was very useful. I started the bass guitar on Friday and I'm getting far already. To God Be the glory great things He hath done. I think my knowledge come from already playing the piano, for noting and fingering sake, drums, for rhythm sake, and a lot more. Thanks.

I can contest to that. Im right along with you. Playing other instruments truly helps speeds up the progress.

Offline FenderJazzGuy

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass players and other musicians

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 10:44:54 AM »
I have a show on ustream.tv . It's geared towards showing beginners things needed to take their playing to the next level. When I first learned how to play <no one would show me anything so I had to learn on my own. Im not claiming to know everything nor am I claiming to be a beast on bass. I just wanna help anyone who needs it. The show is very informal. I teach some or just answer questions. Come check me out. Follow the link and sign up. Then you can 'follow' my show. Here's the link http://www.ustream.tv/channel/semajbowens

James

Find me on youtube under semajbowens
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up