LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do Musicians Need To Know How To Make Beats?  (Read 2734 times)

Offline blue_jays

• LGM Member

Do Musicians Need To Know How To Make Beats?
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:43:39 AM »
Oh boy this is a tough one because there are a variety of factors that go into this area.

Time, Money and Effort

Ultimately, I do think that musicians need to know how to make beats because if you want to grow you need to be able to expand your creativity and mind. You learn to push the boundaries of what you can do.

If you are looking to go into the beat making or producing area it would be of a great advantage. This stuff is always in demand and its better than sampling. Use some of your creative skills.

What do you all think? Should musicians need to know how to make beats?

P.S. Check out the website thanks LGM you all are amazing!
The Musician's Forum
www.helpingadvice.blogspot.com

Offline Mrandrew

• LGM Member

Re: Do Musicians Need To Know How To Make Beats?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 01:22:28 PM »
I don't think so, no. They should know how to make music, though.

I totally agree with bold part. What is this term making beats and why has it become so relevant?

I compose music not beats. If I'm at GC and someone ask do I make beats, I politely tell them I compose music not beats. They are entirely different to me.

Offline Docdb04

• LGM Member
  • I Stand At the Door and Knock

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 01:34:20 PM »
I think musicians need to learn according to the goals they want to reach.  I think all can have it's purpose when creating music.   

Offline rayjohnson83

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.facebook.com/rayjohnson83

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:35:45 PM »
I dont think that you NEED to know how to make beats....but it HELPS to know how to do that...

Offline GospelEngineer

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 02:04:54 PM »
No.

Making beats IS making music.

Don't compare sampling and composing.

That is all.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 02:18:22 PM »
I totally agree with bold part. What is this term making beats and why has it become so relevant?

I compose music not beats. If I'm at GC and someone ask do I make beats, I politely tell them I compose music not beats. They are entirely different to me.

Exactly. I think most producers would be offended if someone referred to what they do as making beats.

Offline elio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 01:36:45 AM »
Let me try and rephrase: well-rounded gospel musicians (esp. keys) should have some basic arrangement skills.

I've lost count of the number of times someone (*cough*singers*cough*  ;D) walks up to me and says "Hey, I've written a song!" and they proceed to sing a melody. I'm like  ::).
Then they ask to record it, and so we have to think of beat, harmony, general feel, song structure, modulations, ... - and actually record the thing.

It's a very, very different skill than playing - it involves imagination, communication and creativity.
Not where my heart is, but the results can be excellent!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 10:17:36 AM »
I don't think so, no. They should know how to make music, though.

This.

No.

Making beats IS making music.

Don't compare sampling and composing.

That is all.

And that.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline blue_jays

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 11:25:04 AM »
I hear where you all are coming from. This was just one of the topics that was discussed on our website.

Musicians should know how to make music that I agree with that. It takes time and effort on the musicians part to learn how.
The Musician's Forum
www.helpingadvice.blogspot.com

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 03:38:49 PM »
well technically any musician with any sense of timing can make a beat. me patting my foot on the floor while i play is making a beat. record that pattern via audio or midi and ta-da, you got a beat!!! so do musicians need good timing, of course. and thus every musician should be a capable "beat maker".

Now here's where it gets tricky. With that said, without any time or effort put in, you'll be basic at best. Does every musician need to be a competent/creative "beat maker"? Not so much. Should a songwriter/composer be a competent/creative "beat maker"? Most definitely.

A competent songwriter or arranger needs to be familiar with all aspects of the music (rhythm, harmony, melody) and possibly even lyrics. Making beats is simply the backing rhythm. But honestly, you dont have to be good at it, but rather have an understanding and work with a competent drummer who can give you what you ask for. Thats how many people do it, they have teams of musicians and/or producers who are skilled in a particular area and can create based on what someone describes to them as well as explain what they want from others.

But if you're rolling solo, of course you have to do it all yourself.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline Mrandrew

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 08:04:55 AM »
So would this be an example of beat making since it's more if a backing track?

Summer Madness Groove.wmv

I know shameless plug for myself.

Offline Mrandrew

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 06:45:46 AM »
Yeah, I'd call that a beat. And a very very cool one, I might add. Reminds me of something I might hear on Samurai Champloo.

Thanks for the comment. And what is Samurai Champioo.

Shreya

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 03:05:21 AM »
Someone in this topic mentioned that a musician would be offended if someone referred to what he does as making beats. The thing is, some music producers refer to what they do in a likely manner – especially, those beatmakers who are making a living this way (I didn't investigate much, but you can earn some quite substantial income if you're good at it) and those a part of hip-hop subculture. Talking specifically, in the most genres beat doesn't make a whole arrangement, but in hip-hop it does and so the higher the requirements are.

Well, to dot the i's and cross the t's, here what Wikipedia says:

A hip hop instrumental is casually referred to as a beat, and a hip hop producer is casually referred to as a beatmaker.

And, again, there is a genre of instrumental hip-hop (quite interesting one, should I say), in case of which a beat makes 100% of arrangement, for reasons quite obvious.

To answer the initial question, a musician does need how to make beats if he composes music on his own, which is a common situation for anyone involved in electronica, especially inspired by jazz, funk, or hip-hop – i.e. genres which necessitate a good groove.

And the last thing... From my experience, a beat is something you rather not pay no regard to while composing. I mean, the more complex and detailed it is, the more interesting harmony you can build upon it. A beat serves a basal complex of a track in a way. With no regard to whether a musician is good at jamming or punctilious composing, a daedal beat (or rhythm section) will force him to play more inventively, thus routing a mechanical activity into a more intelligent raceway. I think this has to be considered important, as expanding the boundaries of own playing patterns is vital. Otherwise once enthralling pursuit can become a purely motoric exercise and showing off of fingers' dexterity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up