LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha Oaks lack character??!  (Read 2866 times)

Offline 28MILTONS

• LGM Member

Yamaha Oaks lack character??!
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:20:19 AM »
In my search for a new set o' drums I recently tested the Yamaha Oaks, and I must say I was very,
very pleased with how 'fresh' this kit sounded!
At the same time I felt I was missing something but at the time didn't know what it was..............
until is hit me early this morning in my sleep (yes, I sleep drums!)......The Oaks lack character... (this is MY Opinion!). Listening to Jimbo's, Emory' Carlock's and Weckl's drumsound made me reinforce my opinion even a bit more.
Anyone else feels the same way about Oaks? How much does character (of your drumsound) mean to You?
Anyone into vintage drums? Gretsch???
Please give us YOUR opinion on these takes.

Godbless

Offline Ibilddrums

• LGM Member

Re: Yamaha Oaks lack character??!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 09:42:57 AM »
I wouldn't say that oak drums "lack character..."
I think the "lack of character" you're referring to is actually the natural sound characteristics of oak. It's a harder than maple and birch so it will sing differently. My experience with oak stave shell snares that I've built is that oak speaks quicker and has a lower timbre than maple. It has a very "chunky" sound but fades quickly. I would say it's darker in tone than maple or birch. Definitely on the opposite side of the sound spectrum from say a cherry wood snare drum.

Oak definitely has character, but you have to be into that type of sound in order to appreciate it....

JFunky

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 09:56:49 AM »
In my search for a new set o' drums I recently tested the Yamaha Oaks, and I must say I was very,
At the same time I felt I was missing something but at the time didn't know what it was..............
until is hit me early this morning in my sleep (yes, I sleep drums!)......The Oaks lack character... (this is MY Opinion!). Listening to Jimbo's, Emory' Carlock's and Weckl's drumsound made me reinforce my opinion even a bit more.
Anyone else feels the same way about Oaks? How much does character (of your drumsound) mean to You?

Godbless

...well, they're definetly not a Vintage Drum or Gretsch Drum.  Those drums have some serious character.  You cannot compare a Gretsch Drum to the Oak Customs.  That's just not right.  In all seriousness, I feel that the Oaks are more of a contemporary kit that produce more of an in your face type of sound.  Would you like someone screaming at you all day?  Now, if I can add something to your statement, Dave uses the Oaks in Clinics and some Live venues.  He doesn't record with the Oaks but does record with Birch Customs.  He uses Maple Customs on Live Recordings and Live concerts.  Sonny uses the Oaks on Live gigs as well.  So if you think about it, the Oaks are more of a Live or Concert type of drum.  They project. 

...now for my personal drum sound, I think that the Oaks wouldn't really do it for me. *Isaac Hayes Voice*  I need the drums to sound beautiful.  I need that nice warm resonance and those sweet highs with those curvy mids.  Aaah yes......a maple drum.  That's what I like.  I need a drum that can be as sweet as candy but also as mean as my grandmama. ;D  Give me the character of Maple or Beech all day baby. ;D

Offline musicaljeanyuss

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 10:14:29 AM »

Godbless

man i totally agree with you...i had a brand new set of Oak Custom's and they sounded terrible
Music is LIFE!!!

JFunky

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 11:00:05 AM »
man i totally agree with you...i had a brand new set of Oak Custom's and they sounded terrible

...that's a pretty strong statement. :o

...okay, what didn't you like about 'em.  What type of sound were you looking for that these drums didn't provide?  What heads were on 'em?  Did you tune 'em correctly or did someone else tune 'em?

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 02:59:33 PM »

...okay, what didn't you like about 'em.  What type of sound were you looking for that these drums didn't provide?  What heads were on 'em?  Did you tune 'em correctly or did someone else tune 'em?

Tell um Funky!!....lol.... I think that this is pretty harse as well.... Its is a sound preference man! If you didnt put the right heads on them, of course they are not going to sound how you want them to....Thats just like putting 26" rims on a Topaz and saying " This things rides TERRIBLE"  ;D ;D :D
Richard

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 04:09:07 PM »

Tell um Funky!!....lol.... I think that this is pretty harse as well.... Its is a sound preference man! If you didnt put the right heads on them, of course they are not going to sound how you want them to....Thats just like putting 26" rims on a Topaz and saying " This things rides TERRIBLE"  ;D ;D :D

...you are amazing  :-\...

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 05:58:20 PM »
...you are amazing  :-\...

Is that an Undercover crack my friend?....lol.....I really don't get it :-\
Richard

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 06:52:37 PM »
bro you're trippin!  :D

Tune before you play my man  ;D

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 06:59:42 PM »
BTW...Just to brag a lil' bit...

Hopefully you will see my Oaks in a movie directed by Sean Penn coming out in September called "Into the Wild." I got hired to play for a high school prom scene. I didn't actually hit the drums though haha. I say hopefully because scenes just get cut sometimes.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 01:49:55 AM »
Hey audio!  If you really like breaking down and setting up extremely heavy drums (Oak Customs), try yamaha's new "Brick Customs!"  :-\ ;D

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 01:53:10 AM »
I just auditioned those brick customs at GC the other day. They're great for the studio because the have no sustain.  ;)

Bro come on they ain't that heavy man!  ;D

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 01:54:49 AM »
Hey audio!  If you really like breaking down and setting up extremely heavy drums (Oak Customs), try yamaha's new "Brick Customs!"  :-\ ;D

and by the way...this is off topic but when are gonna teach me how to play some drums?  ;D

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 02:10:47 AM »
Yeah right!  I'm trying to get lessons myself! 

Offline musicaljeanyuss

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 09:29:08 AM »

First off, Yes i did tune the KIT....MANY MANY MANY MANY TIMES....I tried the Coated Emperor, Clear Emperor, Coated Ambassador, Clear Ambassadors, Clear Pinstripes, and the Evans G2 Coated...and they all didn't make a difference....Furthermore, my statement may be strong, but ITS MY STATEMENT and YES they sounded HORRIBLE!!!!! and they were brand spankin NEW!
Music is LIFE!!!

Offline musicaljeanyuss

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 09:33:16 AM »

DUDE they SUCK....they are some beautiful drums but they SUCK...and I am a yamaha fan to the fullest....i like drums to sustain, and they dont...I love the Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, those drums sound wonderful, but the OAKS are horrible in my opinon...
Music is LIFE!!!

JFunky

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 09:47:30 AM »
First off, Yes i did tune the KIT....MANY MANY MANY MANY TIMES....I tried the Coated Emperor, Clear Emperor, Coated Ambassador, Clear Ambassadors, Clear Pinstripes, and the Evans G2 Coated...and they all didn't make a difference....Furthermore, my statement may be strong, but ITS MY STATEMENT and YES they sounded HORRIBLE!!!!! and they were brand spankin NEW!

...first off, I didn't come strong in my Reply so I don't know why you would come strong at me. :-\  If you bought the Oak Customs expecting to get a sound characteristic of Maple than that was wrong.  You have to research sounds and wood characteristics before you make your investment decision.  The next thing is that the older the drums get the better they sound and not the newer the better.  That's something to always remember.  Ex: Birch drums have a sound charateristic similar to Maple when they age and in some cases you can't even tell the difference. (Yamaha Birch Customs)  I'm also a Yamaha fan.

....I honestly think that you bought the Oaks expecting to get Maple.  Two different woods, two different kits but both crafted well. ;)

Offline musicaljeanyuss

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 10:19:57 AM »
...first off, I didn't come strong in my Reply so I don't know why you would come strong at me. :-\  If you bought the Oak Customs expecting to get a sound characteristic of Maple than that was wrong.  You have to research sounds and wood characteristics before you make your investment decision.  The next thing is that the older the drums get the better they sound and not the newer the better.  That's something to always remember.  Ex: Birch drums have a sound charateristic similar to Maple when they age and in some cases you can't even tell the difference. (Yamaha Birch Customs)  I'm also a Yamaha fan.

....I honestly think that you bought the Oaks expecting to get Maple.  Two different woods, two different kits but both crafted well. ;)

Yo i didnt come strong at you....the advice you are giving are things that i already knew..PERIOD...I didnt get a chance to do any research because of the church that i was playing for bought them right before i started, which is why the oak customs went back to the store, because it wasnt a preference of mine and i didnt enjoy them...I love drums when they are new, but i can appreciate them more when they have a little age on them...so now at the church i have the Gretsch USA Custom(slightly used) in the main sanctuary and the Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute's in the second sanctuary..
Music is LIFE!!!

JFunky

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 10:40:58 AM »
Yo i didnt come strong at you....the advice you are giving are things that i already knew..PERIOD...I didnt get a chance to do any research because of the church that i was playing for bought them right before i started, which is why the oak customs went back to the store, because it wasnt a preference of mine and i didnt enjoy them...I love drums when they are new, but i can appreciate them more when they have a little age on them...so now at the church i have the Gretsch USA Custom(slightly used) in the main sanctuary and the Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute's in the second sanctuary..

...Gretsch USA Custom, eh?  Nice.

Offline musicaljeanyuss

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 10:45:33 AM »
...Gretsch USA Custom, eh?  Nice.

Yea man....it took some getting used to...but dude when they are mic'd up...OMG!!!!!
Music is LIFE!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up