LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Visualizing the Fret  (Read 3735 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Visualizing the Fret
« on: August 15, 2004, 10:12:50 PM »
What is a good was to learn the frettboard??  It is confusing to me sense you can play scales and chords in different place and be the same (if that mad sense).  :)
:)

Offline lildrummaboy_987

• LGM Member
    • http://

Visualizing the Fret
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 02:04:35 AM »
(i only play bass but i m guessing its the same thing) that is what separates the boys from the men. when playing u need to know how to do stuff diffrent ways if u wanna do chords in an upper octave its good to know where its at. another plus that i found is that i was on a gig and my string popped but since my teacher forced me to learn 4 places for each note all over the bass i was able to finish pretty decent

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

Visualizing the Fret
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 02:23:27 PM »
It sounds like you know your scales (or are starting to), if, not, I can e-mail them to you.  I would start with Pentatonics, then move into the majors and modes.

I do this to lear a new pattern: get a book of TAB paper that also has chord stamps on the bottom.  On the TAB staffs (staves?) plot out your scale, then dot the pattern on the chord stamps.  LEARN THE SHAPES THE SCALES MAKE.  Once the shape is embedded in your head, you can slap your root note anywhere then rip that dude in any key.  This goes for barre chords as well (which you will find are the basis for all of your scales anyhow).

Let me know if you need any additional info.  You can e-mail me personally.

God bless.

Offline tulsatown

• LGM Member

fretboard wisdom
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 05:34:13 PM »
Try learning 4 string sets in chords and 5 or 6 fret areas in scales. C,A,G,E,D system will connect chords/scales in a big pattern. Use a fretboard diagram to draw out the scales, highlight the chord tones as in the above system. You'll see the connection points.I.E.draw out a C scale and highlite the C chord tones in it, then do the same for an A scale PATTERN starting from the 3rd fret (which is a C scale),highlighting all c-e&g notes. Now G then E then D,get it?  Remember: classical scales are tight, under the fingers and make outside notes hard to reach, while jazz/rock scale fingerings are open wide and put outside notes under the fingers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up