LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "What key is that song in?  (Read 4208 times)

Offline blkalguy

• LGM Member

Re: "What key is that song in?
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 07:03:21 AM »
I don't see what's so difficult about finding the key to a song.  When most songs end on the Key.  Most people play by ear, so use your ears to find the key.  But wait a minute, that's just the beginning because, the truth of the matter is a song may migrate through several keys.  So how do you deal with that?  Well the way I deal with it is I whip out the old tool box.  Yeah, das right.  A carpenter can have a tool box, so why can't I. LOL. If you look at written sheet music, you will notice patterns in the music.  You will see patterns in the bass line for instance.  It could be a 1,4,5 pattern.  Or a 2,5, 1 pattern, or a 1,3,5,6,8.  Also you will see patterns in the chords like 1,4,5 or 2,5,1 or chords like 7,3,6,2,5,1 which is really just a collection of 2,5, chords.  These patterns are tools, building blocks.  They are what songs are made of.  Learn them in all keys cause, you will see them again.  If you can't read, then learn what they sound like.  Because you will hear them over and over again. I learn the bass pattern.  I learn the chord pattern, through a melody over the top and walla, dare it is.  So the best way, to learn a song is to break it down into patterns.  I practice these patterns 'til I know them like the back of my hand. 

Is it also important to also learn these progressions in all inversions of the chords?

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 08:51:34 AM »
Also, finding the key of a song SHOULD be the easiest thing to do.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline MrTea

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 11:58:28 AM »

Is it also important to also learn these progressions in all inversions of the chords?

Sure, but to answer your next question, (which inversion do you use)?  I use the one just below the melody note.  So I let the melody note determine the chord, not the other way around.

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007, 12:43:27 PM »

Thank you so much for that ear training site that you gave...It's really helping my ears get used to hearing different notes and chords. I am starting to get the hang of alot of this musical lingo...and distinguish keys from each other. Some things I catch on to quickly, and then again some things take me a while to comprehend...LOL. But to me, it doesnt matter when you get it, as long as you get it.
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline Timz

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Knowing God

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2007, 05:51:14 PM »
Hey, i had this problem a while ago, something i did and still do know is in my head, sing the 2-5-1 in my head, or sing the do re me's in my head and jus know that DO is the key signature, dis might not be any help but im sure somebody will know what i mean lol
Carrying out the Legacy of Christ via Music

Offline chrisjr4

• LGM Member
    • http://members.blackplanet.com/chris_jr4/

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 09:27:15 PM »
Yeah, I got that... If I have a hard time finding the key to a song I just wait until the progression goes to the 1, find the 1 and then I have the key.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up