LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What is with Churches and these OLD DRUMSETS!!??  (Read 7530 times)

HumbleGospelDrummer

Re: What is with Churches and these OLD DRUMSETS!!??
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 12:33:59 PM »
I do that at all times. BUT I've worked very hard at perfecting the gift that HE gave for me to go somewhere and sound bad.

yeah, i feel you.  The sound quality is very important, lol and has a crucial impact on your motivation.  I can relate even right now because I have a Mapex Pro M but the heads are worn out, just about all except for the resonant head on the kick and 16" floor tom.  But i try not to let it stop me, but if it gets to the point where I cant stand the sound i dismount the toms(I took down the 12" and 14" and i'm just playin' with the 10" and 16") and just play with the bass, snare, hi-hats and cymbals. 

Offline alquarles

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Guess where....lol
    • Grace Emmanuel Church

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 12:35:54 PM »
Sometimes money is not the reason.  I come from a small church and our drum set is the very basic set (everything working fine) mainly because our drummer (my lil nephew) isn't on that level to add or upgrade yet.  Guests who usually come to our church usually bring their own snare, foot and sticks, so they don't mess up our set which is fine.  Our drummer is young and he's only focus should be to play better.  But if you have the talent and your church is big enough to have the organs, keyboard, great sound equipment, etc.... and the drums isn't on that level......I COMPLETELY AGREE you would have to bring it up. 
It's time to LET GO and LET GOD....

JFunky

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 12:40:37 PM »
This is an all too often truth in today's churches. Several causes come to mind (we have discussed this here before a few times but it is always a need subject to discuss):

- The church is misappropriating funds by not fully funding it's music dept. It is also disrespecting the ministers/musicians of said instrument.
You cannot develop, keep, nor attract quality ministering musicians by having junk for tools. Everything on the alter/pulpit should be in order always.

- something in the bible about high cymbals and loud sounding cymbals... not hammond, LOL... sad truth.

- improper training/lack of knowledge in playing and maintainace by the previous and current drumset players which reflects lackof knowledge and accountability by the MOM and house... oops... sad but true, that is God's house - act like it. God created all things in all wisdom and knowledge. He then tells us through his servant in Proverbs to seek wisdom.   
If you don't know about drumset and percussion equipment it is because you are not seeking, period.

- Because the drums take the most physical stress impact regardless of how proper the playing, it should be serviced weekly, batter heads changed monthly and replaced say every 3 years if it is a mid-level (sub $1000) kit . Every 5 for a pro kit ($1500+).
Big, quality medium-weight pro cymbals should be purchased from the jump. Cased after each service or rehearsal. They should be cleaned weekly. At minimum overhead mics and monitors should be in place so there is no need to play that "hard".
Drummers should be contracted full amount to pay for replacement cymbals with automatic deduction from any payments rendered. Bronze last forever... There is no reason to hit a cymbal wrong and crack it, Learn how to play or don't be allowed to play. Simple. Everything should be done decent and in order. Breaking pies  (cymbals) is out of order. Demonstrates lack of control with he sticks and or cymbal technique.

I honestly think that the excuse that churches don't have money is lame, God ain't broke. They just don't invest it in quality drum gear nor developing quality drumset musicians. $1500-1800 can by you a nice mid-level to low-end pro kit with basic cymbal set-up. (ddrum w/die cast hoops, Pearl, PDP (7-piece X-7), Gretch Catalina with hardware if you research). That is 3 months tops of setting aside $600 in offerings need be.. but easily feasible to the annual budget.

I also feel that churches should have a "guest " kit set up to preserve the main house kit. If this is not feasible then the house should require guest bring there own cymbals and snare because the house kit should not be re-tuned by a guest nor should the cymbals be broken by them and not replaced by the guest.

Note to young drummers or aspiring pros:
You are known by your sound... not your licks. The sound of your snare, hats and ride followed by your tuning and other cymbals. Once you really mature you will be known for your technique and ability to pull your sound out of any gear (within reason) by how you strike/stroke it. Develop yourself fully becoming well-read and well rounded so as not to be a slave to the gear nor engineer.

...I personally think that if a drummer is having this issue with old gear at the church, they need to print out the above and let the Pastor or Music Dept. Leader read it and make the proper changes in their budget.  As a matter of fact, print out this whole thread to see that......................THEY ARE NOT ALONE. LOL.

JFunky

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 12:45:30 PM »
Sometimes money is not the reason.  I come from a small church and our drum set is the very basic set (everything working fine) mainly because our drummer (my lil nephew) isn't on that level to add or upgrade yet.  Guests who usually come to our church usually bring their own snare, foot and sticks, so they don't mess up our set which is fine.  Our drummer is young and he's only focus should be to play better.  But if you have the talent and your church is big enough to have the organs, keyboard, great sound equipment, etc.... and the drums isn't on that level......I COMPLETELY AGREE you would have to bring it up. 

...your nephew should still have a good and playable kit.  Dude, why is it that "almost" all of us learned how to play on that BIG 10x12, 11x13, 16x16, 22x16 Size kit ?/?  LOL  I hated playing on that.  It was the most uncomfortable set ever to play on as a kid.  Then to top it off, we had to angle the toms so that they would be parallel to the friggin' walls of the Temple.lol

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 01:10:09 PM »
...your nephew should still have a good and playable kit.  Dude, why is it that "almost" all of us learned how to play on that BIG 10x12, 11x13, 16x16, 22x16 Size kit ?/?  LOL  I hated playing on that.  It was the most uncomfortable set ever to play on as a kid.  Then to top it off, we had to angle the toms so that they would be parallel to the friggin' walls of the Temple.lol

I have played many of kits like this man!!.... I actually played one yesterday!! Guess what it was though... Percussion Plus!! I think It is made my Paiste!! The drummers pedal was taped on to his Super Kick with blue painting tape!! The kick head has a hole in it also!! His Pedal Only had a Foot Board and a beater... Nothing on the bottom so I guess he called himself "Fixing" It by jamming a hole in the kick drum so that he could shove the pedal in the hole and tape it so that it wouldnt move!!
 It was so bad that I had to tell someone to go to my car and get my pedal!!
Richard

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2007, 01:19:53 PM »
And then they don't want to replace drum heads.

Drumheads and toilet paper should be on the same budget. Monthly expenditures.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 01:23:40 PM »
Dude I walked up to a brand new lower line Pearl last year and noticed that they didnt have a resonant head on the bass drum.  Not a big deal.  I sat down and noticed that they were using the resonant head as the batter head!  and if thats not enough, it had a patched up hole in it!  That was too much!!!  LOL!!! 

JFunky

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 01:27:05 PM »
Dude I walked up to a brand new lower line Pearl last year and noticed that they didnt have a resonant head on the bass drum.  Not a big deal.  I sat down and noticed that they were using the resonant head as the batter head!  and if thats not enough, it had a patched up hole in it!  That was too much!!!  LOL!!! 

...ask Ron Bruner what happened.  He'll tell ya. lol

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2007, 01:30:32 PM »
The Church I played at recently had Head that look like the came off of a tamborine!! They were like paper!! And the drummer had all the heads tightened as high as they could go!! ;)...The snare head was stock too...It was like the head was painted white so that it would looked" Coated" It wasn't the best but I did what I could with what I had..
Richard

HumbleGospelDrummer

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2007, 01:40:49 PM »
The Church I played at recently had Head that look like the came off of a tamborine!! They were like paper!! And the drummer had all the heads tightened as high as they could go!! ;)...The snare head was stock too...It was like the head was painted white so that it would looked" Coated" It wasn't the best but I did what I could with what I had..

lolololol, reminds me of this dude i know that jack other drummers stuff at their churches then spray paints the stuff, drum set, cymbals, etc.  I think he moved and I hope he aint nowhere near any of you, haha oh yeah cuz he WILL jack yo stuff in church lol.

smh

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2007, 02:10:55 PM »
lolololol, reminds me of this dude i know that jack other drummers stuff at their churches then spray paints the stuff, drum set, cymbals, etc.  I think he moved and I hope he aint nowhere near any of you, haha oh yeah cuz he WILL jack yo stuff in church lol.

smh

LOL!!!  Every city has one of those guys!  We have two!  LOL!!!  They rotate cities!  :D

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2007, 02:46:43 PM »
We aint got one of those yet!!..lol.... Man a Gear Jacker...Wowza!! Im sure we'll get one sooner or later!! ;D
Richard

drummin4JC

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2007, 02:52:29 PM »

smh

i would never steal from the altar  :o whooo! im scared just thinking about it...

Offline Natejam71

• LGM Member
  • Anointed Gospel Musician
    • Anointed Gospel Musician (AGM)

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2007, 05:58:38 PM »
This is an all too often truth in today's churches. Several causes come to mind (we have discussed this here before a few times but it is always a need subject to discuss):

- The church is misappropriating funds by not fully funding it's music dept. It is also disrespecting the ministers/musicians of said instrument.
You cannot develop, keep, nor attract quality ministering musicians by having junk for tools. Everything on the alter/pulpit should be in order always.

- something in the bible about high cymbals and loud sounding cymbals... not hammond, LOL... sad truth.

- improper training/lack of knowledge in playing and maintainace by the previous and current drumset players which reflects lackof knowledge and accountability by the MOM and house... oops... sad but true, that is God's house - act like it. God created all things in all wisdom and knowledge. He then tells us through his servant in Proverbs to seek wisdom.   
If you don't know about drumset and percussion equipment it is because you are not seeking, period.

- Because the drums take the most physical stress impact regardless of how proper the playing, it should be serviced weekly, batter heads changed monthly and replaced say every 3 years if it is a mid-level (sub $1000) kit . Every 5 for a pro kit ($1500+).
Big, quality medium-weight pro cymbals should be purchased from the jump. Cased after each service or rehearsal. They should be cleaned weekly. At minimum overhead mics and monitors should be in place so there is no need to play that "hard".
Drummers should be contracted full amount to pay for replacement cymbals with automatic deduction from any payments rendered. Bronze last forever... There is no reason to hit a cymbal wrong and crack it, Learn how to play or don't be allowed to play. Simple. Everything should be done decent and in order. Breaking pies  (cymbals) is out of order. Demonstrates lack of control with he sticks and or cymbal technique.

I honestly think that the excuse that churches don't have money is lame, God ain't broke. They just don't invest it in quality drum gear nor developing quality drumset musicians. $1500-1800 can by you a nice mid-level to low-end pro kit with basic cymbal set-up. (ddrum w/die cast hoops, Pearl, PDP (7-piece X-7), Gretch Catalina with hardware if you research). That is 3 months tops of setting aside $600 in offerings need be.. but easily feasible to the annual budget.

I also feel that churches should have a "guest " kit set up to preserve the main house kit. If this is not feasible then the house should require guest bring there own cymbals and snare because the house kit should not be re-tuned by a guest nor should the cymbals be broken by them and not replaced by the guest.

Note to young drummers or aspiring pros:
You are known by your sound... not your licks. The sound of your snare, hats and ride followed by your tuning and other cymbals. Once you really mature you will be known for your technique and ability to pull your sound out of any gear (within reason) by how you strike/stroke it. Develop yourself fully becoming well-read and well rounded so as not to be a slave to the gear nor engineer.

Well said.  I think I am going to write my church and see if we can get a budget for the drums.  Stay Blessed, Nate J.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2007, 08:08:51 PM »
Well again this topic, LOL! I just really let it be known to our Pastoral Staff the importance of good gear... You have to take them over and let them see and hear the difference between a new head and old head, B-20's cymbals as oppose to B-8's (You want B-20 and higher). Show them why their gear is bunk! Go to the board if you have to.

Trust me it works...Go like you know what you are talking about and sell it! If you go with your tail between your legs all masa/porch monkey like IT WONT WORK!!!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

HumbleGospelDrummer

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2007, 06:35:13 PM »
We aint got one of those yet!!..lol.... Man a Gear Jacker...Wowza!! Im sure we'll get one sooner or later!! ;D

hm hm, im sure you'll get one lol.  If u see a dude just eye'in ur set.................
I seen one dude that's slickkkkkkk. He might be talking to you and have his hand on the cymbal like he's just chillin' and examining it, but he was slowly unscrewin' the wing nut while talking to the drummer, lol.

Offline soul_drummer

• LGM Member
  • Jesus, I Love You

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2007, 06:47:08 PM »
hm hm, im sure you'll get one lol.  If u see a dude just eye'in ur set.................
I seen one dude that's slickkkkkkk. He might be talking to you and have his hand on the cymbal like he's just chillin' and examining it, but he was slowly unscrewin' the wing nut while talking to the drummer, lol.

Man, that's not even funny. That's just wrong. Where is the fear of God??? GB.
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2007, 06:50:57 PM »
... B-20's cymbals as oppose to B-8's (You want B-20 and higher) ...

Paiste Signature, Dark Energy, 2002, Giant beat, et al are made from a B8 alloy, and they sound great!  It's just that Zildjian and Sabian made the name of B8 mud in most drummer's ears.   
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2007, 07:08:38 PM »
Paiste Signature, Dark Energy, 2002, Giant beat, et al are made from a B8 alloy, and they sound great!  It's just that Zildjian and Sabian made the name of B8 mud in most drummer's ears.   

Thanks j_kay. I didn't even know that.

HumbleGospelDrummer

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2007, 07:20:43 PM »
Thanks j_kay. I didn't even know that.

Cosign
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up