LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sax question  (Read 1631 times)

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

sax question
« on: June 05, 2007, 06:52:46 AM »
this is a pretty elementary question;what is the best way to put your reed on a sax mouthpiece? have a tenor sax that i played in high school.thinking about working on some chops,forgot how to alighn it etc.any ideas on how to get back in shape? thanks-be blessed

Offline Redy2bUsed

• LGM Member
  • The Son don't chill....

Re: sax question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 08:08:17 AM »
Well....to get your chops back....I would try to practice in my upper octave....It will build the chops faster.....and after about 16 measures....you'll begin to feel it....then you know its working...LOL.....
Also....I would go back over the basics such as....Scales....using the tongue to hit your 8th notes, in a fast paced series of notes...just the fundamentals again....thats all

I always slide my reed from the bottom of my mouth piece to the top, to align it correctly....but you'll find what way is best for you.

Peace...
Bunk a shout.....How you livin'??

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 02:52:18 PM »
Place the ligature on first (saves many reeds from getting nicked this way).

Slide reed in (fat end first)

Align it.

When you turn the mouthpiece over and look at the edge of the mp, you should only see a sliver of your reed.
Ligature is entirely up to you.  Many mouthpieces have a line that goes all the way around them.  This is a good place to line up the lig's leading edge.

P.S.  Make sure your reed is properly saturated BEFORE you play...  It will blow easier.

As far as getting back into the swing of things...

1)  Long tones, start at middle G (left hand 1-2-3), play that until you have control of the tone.  Then move DOWN one note.  Go as low as you can without BLASTING.  Remember this should all be done in a mezzo piano manner.  Keep the corners of your mouth back like you were saying "ewww".

2)  Going up from middle G is the same thing.  Slowly ascend.  Do not go to the next note until the note you are on is in tune and sounds good.

Do this EVERY day and you will begin to see your embashoure start to re develop.  The next thing will be to knock the rust from those fingers.

REMEMBER:  Nobody will want to listen to what you have to say musically unless you have good tone...  Fast fingers but a goose sounding sax sound will make people RUN!!!

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 06:40:59 AM »
thanks! be blessed
Pages: [1]   Go Up