LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ? for the drummers  (Read 11304 times)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

? for the drummers
« on: July 30, 2004, 06:31:07 PM »
Do yall think playing with a single foot pedal or a double foot pedal is better? Me, I prefer the single foot pedal cuz I can double very well with one foot and I think that using a double foot pedal is sort of like cheating. I mean, I use one foot for the hi-hat and the other for the pedal. If I use both feet as a pedal, then my hi-hat won't sound right. Does anyone agree with me? I tried playing on a double foot pedal and it was hard for me cuz I don't have the doubling power in my left foort like I have in my right foot.  Comments are welcome!
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

? for the drummers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 07:20:20 PM »
SINGLE BASS PEDAL ALL THA WAY......I CAN DO DOUBLES ON MY LEFT IF I USED A DOUBLE BASS BUT I DO A LOT OF TRIPLES ON MY RIGHT SO I REALLY DON'T NEED A DOUBLE BASS PEDAL :D  :D  :D
MERCY EN!!

Offline Sistadrumma

• LGM Member

? for the drummers
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 07:43:47 PM »
well i prefer single pedal myself cuz i guess i aint practiced much with a double pedal, LOL.
but when using a double pedal and KEEP TIME then thats a whole nother thing right there.
it aint easy 2 get ur weaker foot on a level with ur strong foot.
but u gotta know how and when 2 use it.
it has a gr8 effect,4 dynamics.
take marvin mcquitty on living word on speak those things live,when he's drops the double pedal u no it was all over,they should of stopped the song right there. u no that couldnt of been done on a single pedal,if any1 can then all good.

SO i wouldnt write off the double pedal so quickly!!

Quote from: ddw4e
I DO A LOT OF TRIPLES ON MY RIGHT SO I REALLY
DON'T NEED A DOUBLE BASS PEDAL :D  :D  :D

play those triples!! :wink:

Offline btrue15

• LGM Member

? for the drummers
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 08:51:45 PM »
I'm with you guys, I stick with the single pedal.  Playing with double pedals throws me way off.  And plus I don't really like to focus on doubles and triples in the kick, I'm big on hi-hat and snare.

But I give much respect to all you double pedal playas out there, yall are very skilled, and the drumsets you people have are awesome!!! :wink:  I've seen some nice sets with double kicks and pedals, man!!!! Just blew my mind, but anyway, I'm gonna stick with single pedals and keep on playin!! :)

pedal
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 10:56:48 PM »
I prefer the single pedal because I dont have a second bass drum and   I'm used to the single pedal. I can already doubles and triples. :)  :)

Be Blessed,
                                                                cckdl :)  :)

Offline CalKel2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

? for the drummers
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 02:38:46 PM »
Well I play double bass and I can play doubles off of both feet and triples on the right.  I feel double bass helps out a lot. It can make both your feet faster and give you a better sense of time. I mainly only use the double pedal in the practice room cause I can do most things with just a single and its too much trouble to set up the pedal if everyone else brings thiers. But it is impressive when you use both of your feet to play crazy rythms and fills. I don't think that using a double bass pedal is cheating at all. In the end i just look at it as God gave me two hands to match my two feet so why should i force my feet to play on only one surface for each leg while my hands have like twenty? I probably would buy a kick snare if i could afford it. But do whatever suits you, it's just my opinion.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

? for the drummers
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 07:41:41 PM »
In the end i just look at it as God gave me two hands to match my two feet so why should i force my feet to play on only one surface for each leg while my hands have like twenty?

I like that reasoning. I never thought of it that way. Anyway, I don't think the double foot pedal is a bad thing, I just think that if u can do doubles and triples with one pedal, then there is no need for another pedal. I have a very difficult time using my left foot for anything other than a hi-hat so maybe I should just practice it some more and maybe one day I will like it
a little bit. Thanks for all the replies.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline kuyajc

• LGM Member

? for the drummers
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 12:34:22 AM »
I've always liked using a single. It's easy to do doublesand triples on a single cause I guess i didn't have the money to get a double iI had alot of time to practice my right. besides i just think that the single just reduces the clutter that you have when you new to go on the road.

Offline Skystar

• LGM Member
    • http://

pedals
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 09:51:09 AM »
i agree and kinda disagree at the same time, I use the double foot pedal only when i cant switch the drums to fit left handed drummer. but i only use the left side cuz my left foot is faster than the right. I CAN play right side but not as comfortablly as my left. but i do use it to cheat only to improve and get better with my left.

Offline lildrummerboy4

• LGM Member

? for the drummers
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 11:46:31 AM »
I like to use the doouble pedal, but I'm still better at using a single pedal. the reason I started double pedaling is so I could strengthen my left foot. I eventually wanted to add a kick snare, cowbell, and a clave, you all should check out this Australian guy named Grant Collins, he uses about 13 pedals, and only 3 of them are for his bass drums!!!

Chris K.

Offline vMac

• LGM Member

? for the drummers
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2004, 03:09:47 AM »
Another vote for single pedal.  I play a lot of jazz which really requires that you keep time with the hi-hat.

Cheating????
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2004, 09:54:03 AM »
There is no such thing as cheating on the drums. You have 2 feet and I think you should use them both if you can. I personally play single pedal, but I am going to learn double. I don't care how good your one foot is, you will not be able to do some things without a double pedal. There is a cat named Virgil Donati who is a killer. He is a master double bass player. He also has the best single pedal foot I have probably ever seen. Just think of a double bass as an extension to your kit. It all comes down to how you apply it. It is not necessary for some styles of music. Some drummers don't need two pedals because they are busy enough with one.

Offline CalKel2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

? for the drummers
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2004, 03:06:32 PM »
True MrBud, the only way you could cheat is if the bass drum plays itself. And Yes Virgil Donati is the sickest double bass player i have ever heard. His two feet are better than most people's hands. He does all types of rudiments at all different speeds. Everyone should check him out.

Offline Praise_Productions

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • You just have to surrender to the music!!!!!!!!!!

? for the drummers
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2004, 09:35:50 PM »
I play with a single pedal never really used a double pedal, but I think if you can use one you are really riding out.  I have a friend that can play on one, but I prefer the single one day I plan on learning how to do the double.  But my thing is learning 4 way independance like Akio Jimbo that boy is bad.  And I agree there is no such thing as cheating on the drums if you can do it than do it, my homeboy is always talking about cheating with the double bass but if you are doing for God you are not cheating at all you are giving him the praise.
Say hello to my little friend!!!!

LILBRYANT 1987 OF BMORE

DOUBLE BASS
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 07:52:02 PM »
I THINK ITS GOOD TO USE BOTH OF UR FEET BUT I USE ONE S8INGLE PEDAL BU6T EVENTUYALLY IM GOING TO LEARN TO PLAY WITH MY LEFT. FOOT
Pages: [1]   Go Up