LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Every Guitar Player Should...  (Read 1633 times)

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Every Guitar Player Should...
« on: June 01, 2007, 12:25:59 PM »
...own at least one bass.  Playing bass can help make you a better musician.  While the two instruments may look similar, there are some differneces in playing technique that will make  you more disciplined.  For example; while it is desireable to keep unplayed strings muted on guitar, it is absolutely essential to do this on bass.  And the sloppy timming that we can get away (even incorporate) into our playing is unacceptable on bass.  You've got to play the right thing at the right time all the time.  And also, you'll gain a whole new musical perspective and respect for the music that you can't help but become a better guitar player.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

Re: Every Guitar Player Should...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 02:29:02 PM »
I agree, i just bout a bass 2 weeks ago, and it has helped me in ways i can't even explain, however learning the bass you will be a more versitile musician. 

I think for a bass player you should also learn drums since they are both the groove for all music.

Offline loftudad

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • when a man finds a wife he finds a good thing

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 03:29:02 PM »
I have been playing with a keyboard rather than a Bass. I played a bass when I was in my teens and thought it was cool. I like the keys better becasue you learn alot about chord structure and also helps out with your finger dextarity.

It is though but if I had my way, I would love to play all four and fill the need wherever it may be as long as I have the ability to use my love of music to praise!
Giving my life to God is the best I can do, so I will make a noise of prasie!

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 12:34:28 PM »
...own at least one bass.  Playing bass can help make you a better musician.  While the two instruments may look similar, there are some differneces in playing technique that will make  you more disciplined.  For example; while it is desireable to keep unplayed strings muted on guitar, it is absolutely essential to do this on bass.  And the sloppy timming that we can get away (even incorporate) into our playing is unacceptable on bass.  You've got to play the right thing at the right time all the time.  And also, you'll gain a whole new musical perspective and respect for the music that you can't help but become a better guitar player.
I agree, i just bout a bass 2 weeks ago, and it has helped me in ways i can't even explain, however learning the bass you will be a more versitile musician. 

I think for a bass player you should also learn drums since they are both the groove for all music.

I agree with both statements.  Being able to switch between bass and lead will help you be a more well rounded musician.  I am trying to learn how to play keys myself, so I can tell what the keyboardist or organist is playing and learn to play on top of those chords with my guitar.

Offline atl2maryland

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 01:40:25 AM »
Alot of times guitar players can just freestyle and get away with.. ad libbing and so forth. (Dont act like yall dont know what Im talking about). Not really the case with the bass. You have to be there to nail those chord changes. And the way bass players fill up a song and hit just the right notes... wheeww. Guitar players alot of times get away with alot of things that we know are not very disciplined but dont nobody know. LOL!

Offline Julie spivey

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 05:57:38 AM »
Own three and every time I jump to a bass to learn a new song I get inspired to play my guitar more!!

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 09:31:52 AM »
I've been playing bass since around '85...ever since I first met my wife as she owned a Yamaha BB300.
We later sold it and got a Steinberger...big mistake...no tone...sounded like a barritone banjo made from balsa wood...I then came to my senses, unloaded the Hamberger and bought a Godin Freeway 5 string bass.
Tone, body, depth, thump and that beautiful low B string.  8)

I dig bass playing most because, for me, it taught me how to really identify what the drummer was doing...taught me how to get into and appreciate that "pocket". You know it when you hear it and feel it but learning how to do it can be difficult for a guitarist who is used to playing around the pocket a whole lot.  ;D
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 08:21:35 AM »
Can I get in?

I just started playing guitar about 2 weeks ago. I bought a cheapy guitar, that I spent about $140 for. I've only learned 3 movable chords (major, dominant, minor), so I can follow songs now.

I went from organ, to piano, to bass, and now guitar. I'm guessing that this will help me on the bass. I need help soloing...big time!

If this works out, I may re-tune my 8-string bass like a guitar and roll with it. I tried it out once.

Offline dafretboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 09:20:39 PM »
Playing the bass and with bass players helped me learn to play very full.
It taught me the in-between passing chords and fills. Now I can play bass lines and
chords at the same time. This is a very helpful skill just in case the other musicians
don't make it and its just you and the drummer. Now I try to play like a whole band all by myself.
 It has definitly improved my skillz along with prayer and letting God use me.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 09:54:56 PM »
Playing the bass and with bass players helped me learn to play very full.
It taught me the in-between passing chords and fills. Now I can play bass lines and
chords at the same time. This is a very helpful skill just in case the other musicians
don't make it and its just you and the drummer. Now I try to play like a whole band all by myself.
 It has definitly improved my skillz along with prayer and letting God use me.

I know this one dude, that has a midi pickup on his guitar. When he does a piano/bass combo on it, he can carry the service by himself.

Offline dafretboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 07:20:10 PM »
Yeah, there are some Fender Stats with the Roland midi pickup.
I would like to try one out one of these days.

Offline katstrat

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 08:35:44 PM »
When I had a gig worthy amp and a Gibson Victory bass,I got more gigs with it then with my guitar!I still wish I had the amp,Peavey Mark IV.Combined with the Gibson's bass humbucker,it had sustain for days!
Pages: [1]   Go Up