LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st LGM Guitar Forum Jam Sign-Up Thread  (Read 3204 times)

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

1st LGM Guitar Forum Jam Sign-Up Thread
« on: July 05, 2007, 01:12:19 AM »
Okay, everyone who is going to participate sign up here. We'll have a week, beginning this Monday, July 9, to submit our tracks. Tracks will need to be submitted by 7pm eastern time that night. Everyone who is going to aprticipate please post to that effect in this thread, just so we know who's in and so forth. We'll be playing over the Albert King like backing track, which can be downloaded here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=719887

Remember, this is for fun, and also for us to just appreciate everyones different styles and abilities, and to also hopefully learn something from one another. It's not an ego contest, it's not to prove who's better than whom, it's to help make one another better players. (Iron sharpeneth iron) Let's all be willing to share what we are doing if someone wants to know.

Hopefully this will turn into a regular thing. I'd love to see it become something we do weekly. If it catches on, we'll try to attack different styles, maybe even specific songs that we might face in a worship service. Good luck, everyone sign up and take part, it could really be fun.

Offline lilBB

• LGM Member

Re: 1st LGM Guitar Forum Jam Sign-Up Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 08:18:37 AM »
count me in

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 08:54:36 AM »
I'm in ;D
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 09:15:43 AM »
I'm in, too. One quick question, though, are we adding rhythm and lead to these BT's, or just leads, or whatever we feel like?

I was actually importing this into Cakewalk as I was checking my forums, lol.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 10:16:55 AM »
I'm in.

We do these types of jams monthly over at cyberjammin but I only catch about 3 or 4 a year. Sometimes we get several guys to sign up on 1 track with each person taking 8 measures or so. It makes for some interesting listening, fo' sho'.  ;D
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 10:27:43 AM »
If time permit,count me in.Man,you guys are turning up the HEAT.Should be fun.

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 11:24:20 AM »
I'm in, too. One quick question, though, are we adding rhythm and lead to these BT's, or just leads, or whatever we feel like?

I was actually importing this into Cakewalk as I was checking my forums, lol.

yeah, i was going to pull it into Sonar, so i guess it's really up to the individual who much they want to add. i'm guessing most guys will just solo over it though....

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 01:41:24 PM »
Are the submissions due on the 9th, or a week from the 9th? Just clarifying...
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 02:11:41 PM »
a week from the 9th....so the 16th of July.

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 03:45:54 PM »
do you need a special kind of software or somethin'?  'Cause a brotha on a budget

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 03:52:09 PM »
do you need a special kind of software or somethin'?  'Cause a brotha on a budget

nah, you cn download audactiy for free....or a trial version of one of the name brands.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 04:03:17 PM »
^^^yeah, audacity will work and it's free^^^

You will need a way to get the guitar signal into the computer. This can be done as cheaply as a 1/4" to 1/8th cable (or adapter) but expect sound quality to be a bit 'questionable'.
USB audio interfaces are the cheap way to go these days with inexpensive ones being in the $30-50 range.
Check out this page fo' da bargains!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/computer-hardware-recording-cards-audio-interfaces?N=100001%2b304891&Ns=P_Price%7c0&g=rec&page=1

Still, if all you've got is a guitar and a sound input jack on your computer, a cable/adapter will get you in and you can tweak input levels as needed.
If you have a pedal or multi-effects device, you can put that in the chain and see if it improves the quality at all.
Most Digitech pedals these days have a "mixer out" jack that works as a amp/cabinet emulator.
Pretty cool feature that, imho, works better than nothing when going to a mixing board or computer input.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 04:58:52 PM »
what dave said.......and even a cheap computer mic or one of the newer USB mics would work. the new usb mics bypass the need even for an audio interface...it IS the interface. plug it up, put on your amp, route it to a channel in your software and you are ready to go.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 05:40:36 AM »
I'm in, but I'll be in transit for the weekend. (flying from Korea to the States)

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 03:27:33 PM »
ok, so far we have:

1. jlynnb1
2. lilbb
3. trackman
4. JayP
5. dave
6. gibby (i think)
7. B3

looks like it should be fun.....anyone else want in on the fun??

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 11:16:48 PM »
jlynnb1, if I can get the software and ten minutes, I'm in!

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 12:54:10 AM »
anyone else?? starts tomorrow.......

spoon_21

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 08:56:43 AM »
I'm in

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 11:08:43 AM »
Ok, I had a few hours this morning (Lord knows when I'll get any more free time this week...), so I got this wrapped up today.

There are a couple of bruises (didn't want to get too critical and run out of time--basically I'm on call), but it turned out alright.

The only "fixin" I had to do was on the outro... I was still playing, and the track ran out (hey, I get caught up in it lol), so I cut and pasted a bit of the backing track so I could fade 'er out, but I did not touch the guitar tracks.

Only thing on them is a bit of EQ (rolled off highs and lows a bit), and there's a bit of 'verb on everything. I put a light compression on the master (2:1 at -12db, 15ms attack and release, just to round it out).

Everything was done as a single take (not the first one lol, but a single one). I refuse to cut and paste solos. So, the first one was a take, the slide was a take, and the last two were a take (if that makes sense).

I guess I'll wait until the end to post it on soundclick...

Sorry for ramblin', I'm just surprised that I actually got done, and that it was on the first day... don't expect this in the future lol.

PS - why didn't Uriah get in this? Will we allow a late entry for him, I'm sure he's a busy man. Uriah, get in here, brother.

Lookin' forward to everyone's cuts.

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 11:17:37 AM »
Ok, I had a few hours this morning (Lord knows when I'll get any more free time this week...), so I got this wrapped up today.

There are a couple of bruises (didn't want to get too critical and run out of time--basically I'm on call), but it turned out alright.

The only "fixin" I had to do was on the outro... I was still playing, and the track ran out (hey, I get caught up in it lol), so I cut and pasted a bit of the backing track so I could fade 'er out, but I did not touch the guitar tracks.

Only thing on them is a bit of EQ (rolled off highs and lows a bit), and there's a bit of 'verb on everything. I put a light compression on the master (2:1 at -12db, 15ms attack and release, just to round it out).

Everything was done as a single take (not the first one lol, but a single one). I refuse to cut and paste solos. So, the first one was a take, the slide was a take, and the last two were a take (if that makes sense).

I guess I'll wait until the end to post it on soundclick...

Sorry for ramblin', I'm just surprised that I actually got done, and that it was on the first day... don't expect this in the future lol.

PS - why didn't Uriah get in this? Will we allow a late entry for him, I'm sure he's a busy man. Uriah, get in here, brother.

Lookin' forward to everyone's cuts.
AMEN;PLEASE DO
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up