LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reading music,  (Read 592 times)

drummin4JC

Reading music,
« on: July 02, 2007, 10:53:42 AM »
For the cats who think reading music isnt important...

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/articles/Salem.htmlCLICK

AQS888

Re: Reading music,
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 11:40:56 AM »
For the cats who think reading music isnt important...

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/articles/Salem.htmlCLICK

I will admit, I never liked reading music, and I still don't. However, it's a VERY practical skill. For those of you trying to make a living off of this music ... uh, you open SOOO many door's for yourself by being able to read...

It's not to say that you won't be able to make a career of this without learning to read, but  ... obviously, the more you know & the more thing's you're proficient in ... the more valueable you become.

I, on the hand, am not trying to make a living off of music. To me, to feel obligated to take a gig take's the meaning out of why I chose to play music in the first place. However, the same may not be true for everybody.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 11:58:45 AM »
I will admit, I never liked reading music, and I still don't. However, it's a VERY practical skill. For those of you trying to make a living off of this music ... uh, you open SOOO many door's for yourself by being able to read...

It's not to say that you won't be able to make a career of this without learning to read, but  ... obviously, the more you know & the more thing's you're proficient in ... the more valueable you become.

I, on the hand, am not trying to make a living off of music. To me, to feel obligated to take a gig take's the meaning out of why I chose to play music in the first place. However, the same may not be true for everybody.

Wow!  I thought I was the only one that felt that way!  Yeah man I know cats that do gigs, national acts and local, and the only thing on their mind is, how am I going to get my next gig!  To me, that sucks to have to depend on your musical talent to eat!  I have tried that before and it just takes all the fun out of it!  I like to be able to pick and choose which gigs I take. 

AQS888

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 01:20:16 PM »
Yeah, man...

I'm too anti-social to do a bunch of giggin', anyway. I think it's exciting when you first begin ... but after having been to the same cities more time's than you can count .... I imagine it does tend to get a little old.

But, you know many of us musician's are lazy. We don't want to work a real job ... so, we'll stay out on that road as long as we can. I'm moving to LA year, and I plan to do a lot of playing locally ... but that's about as much as I can take...

I have a strong dislike for playing someone else's music over and over and over ... no matter if they try to tweak the arrangement's. Eh...

Offline teflonminds88

• LGM Member
  • All fun and games...

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 07:00:55 PM »
Too bad we can't all be Dennis Chambers ;)
"Give them the truth, so they approach the situation with ammunition."
Pages: [1]   Go Up