LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Correcting the MOM?  (Read 931 times)

Offline ndel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Correcting the MOM?
« on: July 10, 2007, 01:51:27 AM »
Our MOM will be teaching a song and give us a part, then come back and
give us the same part, but make some kind of change, (like maybe he'll change a couple of the notes in the pattern he's showing us.)  If he is teaching us something from the book/sheetmusic he doesn't do this.  But, if he doesn't have the book/sheetmusic he might have you sing something a different way than when he first did it because it's not written down.  Don't get me wrong, this is not something that happens every practice, but it does happen!  If we tell him that he's  wrong, sometimes he might take it all right, but sometimes he'll say, that it really doesn't matter because what he's showing us will still work any way when he puts all the voices together, (and it does)  But, some of the memberswill make a big deal of grumbling about, "that ain't right, that ain't how he did it before,"  Do you think that choir members should correct the one who is teaching the song? 

Offline rpking

• LGM Member

Re: Correcting the MOM?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 08:41:03 AM »
I think that the MOM should be made aware that he/she is not following the same notes as the artist.....if that is his/her goal.  But if the MOM knows the parts correctly according to the artist, then he/she also has the right to change the parts a little if he/she wants to.  Hopefully the MOM is humble enough to admit that he/she is wrong when appropiate.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 10:04:59 AM »
Cosign; and to add, if it works, what does it matter? :-\
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline ndel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 10:13:50 AM »
I think that the MOM should be made aware that he/she is not following the same notes as the artist.....if that is his/her goal.  But if the MOM knows the parts correctly according to the artist, then he/she also has the right to change the parts a little if he/she wants to.  Hopefully the MOM is humble enough to admit that he/she is wrong when appropiate.
Thanks for responding rpking ;D
I think the MOM was really responding to the way that the choir person brought it to his attention.  This person is a throw down lead singer who makes faces if
someone is singing off, and will say in a loud "whisper" that ain't right, can't they
hear they singing wrong! Some members don't like to sing near this person because they know that they are not "singing wonders" and are afraid that if they make a mistake they will get a comment or a look from this person. The MOM is real easy going and says as long as you are giving  God your very best, that if you keep on praying and practicing everything will work out.  But the choir member has been in and out the choir for different reasons and is known to be hard to get along with.  Sometimes it seems like it's almost a game to see how many mistakes can be pointed out, and then looks like more people start putting in their two cents worth. If the MOM put them on the spot and told them to
come and "fix" it, they couldn't.  All they say is, well I might not know exactly
how to fix what's wrong, but I know something ain't right.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 10:17:08 AM »
Thanks for responding rpking ;D
I think the MOM was really responding to the way that the choir person brought it to his attention.  This person is a throw down lead singer who makes faces if
someone is singing off, and will say in a loud "whisper" that ain't right, can't they
hear they singing wrong! Some members don't like to sing near this person because they know that they are not "singing wonders" and are afraid that if they make a mistake they will get a comment or a look from this person. The MOM is real easy going and says as long as you are giving  God your very best, that if you keep on praying and practicing everything will work out.  But the choir member has been in and out the choir for different reasons and is known to be hard to get along with.  Sometimes it seems like it's almost a game to see how many mistakes can be pointed out, and then looks like more people start putting in their two cents worth. If the MOM put them on the spot and told them to
come and "fix" it, they couldn't.  All they say is, well I might not know exactly
how to fix what's wrong, but I know something ain't right.

Well then that person is out of order. Period. The MOM should discuss that with this person because that's more distracting that someone singing the wrong note well, very close to it, anyway. :-\ :)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline ndel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 10:17:44 AM »
Cosign; and to add, if it works, what does it matter? :-\

Thanks sjon, the MOM pretty much said just that, "it works".
Pages: [1]   Go Up