LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extra rack tom or floor tom?  (Read 755 times)

HumbleGospelDrummer

Extra rack tom or floor tom?
« on: July 27, 2007, 12:41:47 PM »
or both?  What would some of you pick and/or have in ur setup?  Well for me i have an extra floor tom but after a while i started to think i didnt that extra deep shelled tom but i need a smaller rack tom.  Would an extra rack tom allow you to be more creative in your fills or would an extra floor tom be better?

Offline shall176

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.angiehallmusic.com
    • AngieHallMusic

Re: Extra rack tom or floor tom?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 12:51:53 PM »
I would have both....I like the 3 racks that may use, but I also like the 3 floors that guys like Dennis Chambers and John Blackwell have used.  I went to the extreme and have 7 toms myself (8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18), though I very seldom use all of them at once.  But I say get both....gives you more options.
Check it out...
http://www.angiehallmusic.com
& follow @angiehallmusic  on twitter

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 12:56:34 PM »
It doesn't matter to me either way, to be honest.  That's a personal thing that you would have to experiment with.  What's good for me may not be good for you.  Just try it out, man. 
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline chris finesse

• LGM Member
  • energy+optimism=progress

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 12:56:57 PM »
i say the same thing. u can afford it, get. its better 2 have it & not need it, than 2 need it & not have it. u could also change the order of setup as well. marvin mcquitty always sets up (from left to right) 10, 8, 12, 14, 13. it givs a different sound if u do just a normal roll from left to right.
Live Better. Love Harder.

HumbleGospelDrummer

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 01:00:14 PM »
i say the same thing. u can afford it, get. its better 2 have it & not need it, than 2 need it & not have it. u could also change the order of setup as well. marvin mcquitty always sets up (from left to right) 10, 8, 12, 14, 13. it givs a different sound if u do just a normal roll from left to right.

Seems neat, imma try that. 

Offline shall176

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.angiehallmusic.com
    • AngieHallMusic

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 01:02:22 PM »
You can try something like this....this is my kit from a thing we did a Christmas.  I have the 8" off to the side over the hi hat at times, and use it in the groove with my left hand playing accents that you may here a timbale player do (got that from the Dennis Chambers In the pocket DVD). 

Check it out...

JFunky

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 01:07:37 PM »
or both?  What would some of you pick and/or have in ur setup?  Well for me i have an extra floor tom but after a while i started to think i didnt that extra deep shelled tom but i need a smaller rack tom.  Would an extra rack tom allow you to be more creative in your fills or would an extra floor tom be better?

...dawg, to be real honest, one of the times that I felt good on the kit and my creativity was awakened was when I played a 4pc. that consisted of a 8x10 and 11x13 with a 16x22 kick. ;)

Offline shall176

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.angiehallmusic.com
    • AngieHallMusic

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 01:12:16 PM »
I agree.  Even though I think its great to have options...what it comes down to is how you feel.  If you set up with a bunch of extra drums that you never use, its a waste.  Ousside of practice, I have only used all of mine at once maybe twice.  Most times I just take what best fits the situation.
Check it out...

JFunky

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 01:12:38 PM »

...I thought is was 12, 8, 10 across the top ?/?

You can try something like this....this is my kit from a thing we did a Christmas.  I have the 8" off to the side over the hi hat at times, and use it in the groove with my left hand playing accents that you may here a timbale player do (got that from the Dennis Chambers In the pocket DVD). 

...dude, I was watching that and Serious Moves last night. lol  I promise you.  Dennis is the man. :o

Offline shall176

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.angiehallmusic.com
    • AngieHallMusic

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 01:18:49 PM »
i love those DVD's too....and Gary Grainger is phenomenal too.
Check it out...

JFunky

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 01:26:45 PM »
i love those DVD's too....and Gary Grainger is phenomenal too.

...no man, VHS.  Had to blow the dust off of the originals. lol  Yes, I still have my VCR and it's working lovely for all of my VHS Drum Videos which are great by the way. ;)

Offline chris finesse

• LGM Member
  • energy+optimism=progress

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 02:18:17 PM »
...I thought is was 12, 8, 10 across the top ?/?

...dude, I was watching that and Serious Moves last night. lol  I promise you.  Dennis is the man. :o

it may 12, 8, 10. now i gotta reason 2 go watch a fred dvd to check.
Live Better. Love Harder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up