LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanting to replace the electronics in my Epiphone  (Read 1209 times)

Offline bopeuph

• LGM Member

Wanting to replace the electronics in my Epiphone
« on: August 05, 2007, 04:59:47 PM »
I have an Epiphone EB-4 and the electronics are for the most part shot. The preamp inside of it isn't working and the jazz pickup is dead. I was wondering, what about replacing the setup with passive electronics? I don't need anything too expensive for it, as it's an Epiphone, and I have my Geddy Lee that I really like. I do want this piece playable though. What would be some good pickups for this? Should I stay with the active and just fix the preamp and pickups?

Another question: This bass had what I thought was a truss rod buzz. You could hear it without the amp (the pickups don't pick it up) when I play, or when I tap the side of the neck at around the fifth fret. I don't hear it any more. Does weather have a big part in this?

Nick
Edit/Delete Message

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

Re: Wanting to replace the electronics in my Epiphone
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 06:13:25 PM »
I'm not sure if it'd be worth it to upgrade to cheaper pickups, as the cheapest pickups i've seen are still expensive...lol.

You can try Ebay and see if you see anything that'll fit.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline bopeuph

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 08:56:50 PM »
Is it a big deal to bypass the preamp?  Since mine is dead, I was just thinking of going with passive pickups, especially since it's a backup bass (even though my Geddy Lee is passive too).

Nick

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 09:42:46 PM »
Is it a big deal to bypass the preamp?  Since mine is dead, I was just thinking of going with passive pickups, especially since it's a backup bass (even though my Geddy Lee is passive too).

Nick

bypassing the pre isn't a biggie if you don't mind doing all your EQ'ing on your outboard pre.

Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline bopeuph

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 09:59:38 PM »
Thanks.  Looks like I got a lot to think about.  I think I'm going to try to learn how to install them myself while I'm at it.  But I got to save some money for all this first.  Who knows, maybe I'll take it to gigs instead of my Fender here and there.

Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up