Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pearl?  (Read 5945 times)

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Re: Pearl?
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2007, 12:44:41 PM »
BBD  your right  played the reference this weekend and was not impressed sounded very similar to my export. I think im gonna wait and try to find a different kit I like with a different sound other then pearl.

Tuning the Reference is not like tuning other kits. The head choice plays a bigger part because the drum shell really has eliminated a lot of the character factors of some of the head combos previously used. Don't discount the Reference of someone's bad tuning choices. By far the Reference kits in no way, shape nor form sound like and Export. Nor can an Export sound as good as a Reference. Physically impossible by sheer construction.
The Bubinga from Tama is the same way. The GC here put pinstripes on the Bubinga kit and destroyed its sound and that is a great sounding kit with the stock G2 clears.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2007, 04:06:17 PM »
By far the Reference kits in no way, shape nor form sound like and Export. Nor can an Export sound as good as a Reference. Physically impossible by sheer construction.

I will put this statement to the test...

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2007, 04:12:07 PM »
Tuning the Reference is not like tuning other kits. The head choice plays a bigger part because the drum shell really has eliminated a lot of the character factors of some of the head combos previously used. Don't discount the Reference of someone's bad tuning choices. By far the Reference kits in no way, shape nor form sound like and Export. Nor can an Export sound as good as a Reference. Physically impossible by sheer construction.
The Bubinga from Tama is the same way. The GC here put pinstripes on the Bubinga kit and destroyed its sound and that is a great sounding kit with the stock G2 clears.

Wrong!!!!  ;D I still love you man!!!! LOL!!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2007, 04:15:17 PM »
I will put this statement to the test...

I knew somebody was going to challenge that.  :-\

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2007, 05:41:46 PM »
Well, the Reference I heard blew my mind.

So, I'ma stick with it. :P

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2007, 05:49:07 PM »
Well, the Reference I heard blew my mind.

So, I'ma stick with it. :P

Was that the Vision?  ;D ;D j/k  ;D ;D

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2007, 06:13:01 PM »
Yes, the reference was in full view of my Vision at the time.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2007, 06:18:51 PM »
Yes, the reference was in full view of my Vision at the time.

;D ;D ;D ;D

lol. nice comeback.  ;D

Yo, BBD, I dont know man, I've heard Exports and Reference kits and have yet to hear an Export sound as good as a Reference kit.

Now of course, it does matter who is behind the kit. Put me on a Reference and Jojo Mayer on an Export, and the Export will sound better!  ;D

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2007, 06:26:40 PM »
lol. nice comeback.  ;D
I've heard Exports and Reference kits and have yet to hear an Export sound as good as a Reference kit.

Did you not go to the link I posted? 

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2007, 06:32:18 PM »
Did you not go to the link I posted? 

Yes I did.
it sounded good. its definitely been eq'd. What about Live? no eq'ing involved? 

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2007, 07:26:37 PM »
Yes I did.
it sounded good. its definitely been eq'd. What about Live? no eq'ing involved? 

That may or may not be a determining factor in this case.  But when was the last time you heard your favorite drummer live with no mics?  When was the last time anyone of us has did a gig with no mics?  There is no way to tell what kind of shells a person is using after it runs through a system. 

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2007, 09:37:07 PM »
That may or may not be a determining factor in this case.  But when was the last time you heard your favorite drummer live with no mics?  When was the last time anyone of us has did a gig with no mics?  There is no way to tell what kind of shells a person is using after it runs through a system. 

In which case a drum machine would sound better than any of us. right? And then another thought would be, it wouldn't matter what kit we had, or what heads we had, we would just let the sound engineer do what he's paid to do, right?

I am definitely of the mind set to want to make something mediocre sound spectacular.

Tiger Woods can buy a driver from Wal-Mart and drive a ball say 300 yards, but he could grab a Nike driver and drive the same ball under the same circumstances 310 yards. That 10 yard difference is the difference that separates him from all the others. So equipment does matter.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2007, 09:45:22 PM »
listen, time and time again its been proven that even a CB 700 can sound like 4000 bucks when given the right heads and tuning!!!!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

JFunky

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2007, 09:51:42 PM »
...I wouldn't own the Reference kit or the CB whatever if i had a choice to get any kit from Pearl.

...If I were to get a high end kit from Pearl, it would be the Masters Premium Maple Shell 6ply and that's it.  End of Story.

Offline MIKELOVE

• LGM Member

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2007, 10:05:44 PM »
your right i shouldnt trust my ear to someone else tuning and the sound man.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2007, 06:55:20 PM »
your right i shouldnt trust my ear to someone else tuning and the sound man.

Don't take my comments as bashing your ear... but I am just poining out some very real factors that have to be considered when judging a kits sound. I have seen and heard too many kits caused to sound bad by the ignorance of the tuner, owner and or the sound man. We as players have to know how to get our sound out of the best sound of a particular kit. That's what makes guys like DRum Doctrs and Drum Paradise so valuable to he industry's high end sessions and live dates... knowing the sound capabilities of a particular drum/drum set.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline MIKELOVE

• LGM Member

« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2007, 09:54:05 PM »
yep your right i played a professionally tuned kit in studio and it was real nice, i didn't take your comments as bashing my ear. it was helpfull.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up