LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Bassist  (Read 2194 times)

Offline luvaofmusiq

• LGM Member
    • http://

New Bassist
« on: August 27, 2004, 03:16:11 PM »
:cry:

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to LGM and this is the first topic I've ever posted so here's a little about me.  I am a 26 year old female in Raleigh NC.  I have a strong passion for music and have been playing piano/organ for about 8+ years now.  I also play drums and fiddle on the bass a little.  Here is my dilemma, I play for a COGIC church and we have a new bass player that has been there for about a year now.  From the experience I've had with him, he's alright, but I need him to do better.  I learned to play by ear and I am just now learning/studying and applying theory to my life.  He doesn't read either and he basically learns songs that our MOM or any of the music staff presents for him to learn.  In this he's good, but freeflowing HE'S HORRIBLE!  His riffs and runs are the same and they're horrible, he acts like he has problems following the "flow", naturally and spiritually, he's barely paying attention (he's always looking down at the bass), and on top of all this he's always LOUD!!  HEEEEEEELP!  I don't know much about the bass nor music theory, however I know good music and I know what sound should be achieved.  For the vision my pastor has for the music ministry and what I have and share w/ him, it will never come to pass like this..  Can someone give me any advice as what to do?

Offline dperry

• LGM Member

New Bassist
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 05:28:27 AM »
I started about a year and I had the same problem.  I just started banging away at notes playing what I thought was right.  It took friends to tell me to slow down.  It also took funny looks from the keyboard player to get me to back off.

The best way to learn is to play with others, however he can pickup some fundamental concepts from books and off the internet.

Don't shut him down.  Get the other musicians to work with him.  (Team)

Offline BigDaddyBass

• LGM Member

New Bassist
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 07:52:59 AM »
A good way for him to learn is for him to have a mentor to work with him also. Like somebody in the church community, who you consider to be a pro. Cause if he surronds himself with good musicians, he has no choice but to play good. And make sure he is constantly practicing.

And I believe the only bass players that play very loud are the ones with the most ambition to be good. And probably cause they listen to alot of hip hop or rock songs with the bass very loud. It's the typical male instinct. I use to do it. And I still do!!!! Playing loud is only good when you are playing right.

A good way to making him stop if it's that bad is recording him, playing with the band, and letting him hear it. If he is the only one you can hear on the tape something is WRONG!!!Holla!!!

-BiG Dad-E Bass
                                                                             (EADG)

Offline fenderjazz

• LGM Member

New Bassist
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 08:13:28 AM »
Hello. My suggestion is that you find out if he realizes the flaws in his playing and is willing to work hard to improve. If he does not have enough passion for music to practice and become the best he can, he should not be playing. This is just the same as a preacher who is not willing to spend enough time reading the Bible.

The best approach in my opinion is to be honest and straight-forward. Talk to him in private and offer constructive criticism. Have regular musicians' rehearsals so you can focus on the band's trouble spots.
Pages: [1]   Go Up