LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do churches under pay organists?  (Read 12012 times)

Offline sugeheights

• LGM Member

Why do churches under pay organists?
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:37:47 PM »
Hello I am new to this site and I love the organ. I dont play and I wish I could. However I love the sound of a b3/c3 with a leslie on a sunday morning. However it has come to my knowledge that a lot of pastors or music ministry are cheap with their musicians! I am in sacramento california and there are not a lot of churches willing to pay. The top pay for organists is maybe between 250-350 a sunday while the pastor is making $80,000-$200,000 a year with hardly any education and fake doctorate of divinity degrees! However the music ministry carries 80 percent of the church service right? I know of churches that are so stupid, that they pay money to 2 piano players. One plays the keyboard and one plays the piano. I am baptist by the way. How much is a good organist really worth? I went online to see the salaries presented by the american guild of organists which is  http://www.agohq.org/profession/indexsalary.html. I understand that some churches cannot afford to pay but most of the older churches have money and they are cheap! And then they wonder why people dont come to their services any more. Who wants to hear mother wilson play that rag time style of piano for the youth choir on sunday morning? I wanna hear your opinion on this. What is the going rate of organists in your city? And how much money do you think a church should set aside for organists at churches? Get @ me!

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

Re: Why do churches under pay organists?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 07:03:04 PM »
Welcome to the LGM family "sugeheights".....Be Blessed.

PianoWiz...

Offline unauthorizedpoet

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 09:43:04 AM »
Well man I am in Raleigh NC, myself and my friends bring in between $350-$500 each Sunday. Now there are some things that drive that. Contrary to belief larger churches don't always pay more. I played for a "MEGA CHURCH" and they wanted me to play for free while the pastor has a Plane and a Phantom a $450,000.00 car! I play for a medium established Baptist church and get $400.00 a Sunday. Be Blessed
ACTS 2:38

Offline Rev_G

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 11:53:46 AM »
I hear what you are saying. But why do musicians get paid anyway? I too am an associate minister and musician. If the church I am a member of have a lot of musicians and  I play sparingly and I enjoy that church and pastor's leadership, why go to a church that pays $200 or more a Sunday (and I know a couple of Churches in Chicago that pays $500) and don't enjoy worship service? I play for 2 churches. Sometimes 3. My home church every Sunday mornings and when the other church has evening services and my home church don't, I'm with them. Yes I get paid. But I don't play for money. I don't get paid every Sunday either. I go to church to worship GOD and praise him. Yes I have to attend 3 choir rehersals a week, but I do it for the Glory of GOD. Not to please man. But how do you define under or over paid musicians? I can throw some good chords together and play different styles. But I ask GOD to direct me. Am I worth more than I get paid? What if I injure my hands or get my left leg amputated, will that stop me from worshipping or praising GOD? We are getting so involved in entertaining and trying to be like the world at church and not evangilizing and bringing lost souls to Christ that the church is loosing it's true power. Please respond. I want to hear every ones point on this. GOD Bless you all!!!

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 12:16:41 PM »
Welcome to the LGM family "Rev_G".....Stay Blessed.

PianoWiz...

Offline Rev_G

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 12:55:21 PM »
Thank you PianoWiz

Offline sugeheights

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 12:02:14 AM »
I think organists deserved to get paid more. They are the heart and soul of the church. Churches are still non profit businesses and I dont like the fact that pastor's are getting paid so much and the music ministry still suffers. THe music ministry is the MOST important ministry at the church!

Offline keysarerare

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 12:16:31 AM »
To answer your question.  I think that organists are under paid because a vast majority of churches have a piano, keyboards, or a band to conduct the musical services. Its not where an organist is sub-talented, but where many church dont have an organ.

Offline Julie spivey

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 08:22:24 AM »
THe music ministry is the MOST important ministry at the church!

omg YOU CANT BE SERIOUS!!! ?/?

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 01:01:14 PM »

here we go again!

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 09:17:06 AM »
REV G has it!!!!! www.wayofthemaster.com

Offline ShawnG

• LGM Member
  • Praise The Lord

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 09:58:46 AM »
Praise the Lord to All;
Truly money is the root of all evil......It shouldn't be about the money, but worshiping God and Souls being saved....I know I'm in the military but I've matured in Christ to where I tell churches that they do not have to pay me to play....If they want to give me a token, than that's cool. But I want let them pay and if they did, I'll do my best to put it back in the collection plate. Some people might say that I'm missing out on my blessing, but if I need it at that time, I'll pray and ask God to help me with it. I owe God too much to be getting paid for playing. Just my thoughts.
God Bless.
ShawnG
In Jesus Name

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 10:05:08 AM »
Praise the Lord to All;
Truly money is the root of all evil......

X

the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 10:09:32 AM »
X

the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooo tired of people misquoting that particular piece of scripture. >:(
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 10:13:01 AM »
I hear what you are saying. But why do musicians get paid anyway? I too am an associate minister and musician. If the church I am a member of have a lot of musicians and  I play sparingly and I enjoy that church and pastor's leadership, why go to a church that pays $200 or more a Sunday (and I know a couple of Churches in Chicago that pays $500) and don't enjoy worship service? I play for 2 churches. Sometimes 3. My home church every Sunday mornings and when the other church has evening services and my home church don't, I'm with them. Yes I get paid. But I don't play for money. I don't get paid every Sunday either. I go to church to worship GOD and praise him. Yes I have to attend 3 choir rehersals a week, but I do it for the Glory of GOD. Not to please man. But how do you define under or over paid musicians? I can throw some good chords together and play different styles. But I ask GOD to direct me. Am I worth more than I get paid? What if I injure my hands or get my left leg amputated, will that stop me from worshipping or praising GOD? We are getting so involved in entertaining and trying to be like the world at church and not evangilizing and bringing lost souls to Christ that the church is loosing it's true power. Please respond. I want to hear every ones point on this. GOD Bless you all!!!

?/?  It's not about the money, but you attend two or three churches and play there?  ?/?
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline ShawnG

• LGM Member
  • Praise The Lord

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 10:29:40 AM »
sjonathan02

I wasn't utilizing the fact about "money being the root of all evil"; I was simply letting it be known, or re-known again. The rest of the information that I was stating was from what God allowed me to post and share with you all. I understand and it's all good.
God Bless
ShawnG
In Jesus Name

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »
sjonathan02

I wasn't utilizing the fact about "money being the root of all evil"; I was simply letting it be known, or re-known again. The rest of the information that I was stating was from what God allowed me to post and share with you all. I understand and it's all good.
God Bless
ShawnG

?/? When did I say that you said anything about what you've stated here? I quoted REV_G.

Offline ShawnG

• LGM Member
  • Praise The Lord

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 11:23:07 AM »
sjonathan02,
My bad....I was responding because you "Qouted Rev", in which "Rev" qouted 'me'....My bad and I apologize...
ShawnG
In Jesus Name

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 11:28:39 AM »
sjonathan02,
My bad....I was responding because you "Qouted Rev", in which "Rev" qouted 'me'....My bad and I apologize...
ShawnG

Not harm, no foul, pahtna!  ;) :D

Offline Bruh Kell

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 02:51:32 PM »
I will say that I don't think there's anything wrong with blessing the Organ player with a "love offerin'". I will also say that there's nothing wrong with a preacher not requiring a musician at all.

But here's where we hit one of those gray areas...............I can praise God on the Organ at home by myself. By that statement, I don't deem it my "resposibility" to play at church just 'cause I can play keys. I play at church because I love to play AND IF OTHERS WANT TO PRAISE HIM WITH ME...........GOOD THEN!

On the other side of it..........If pastors pay others to conduct business in the church, I don't see a problem with blessing the musician......because after all MUSIC DURING WORSHIP SERVICE IS A LUXURY!!!!!!! and we should try to keep from being cheap with luxuries right???

Now across the table
I don't think it is right to just bust in and play the organ at whatever church and turn around and start demanding money. Some churches don't have the resources to pay musicians to play......which is prob'ly how you got on the keys in the first place.
Recently I have bee the musician of a small COGIC in Manteca C.A. They didn't pay me once and I don't expect them to. But I certainly do appreciate their appreciation. how's that GW???
I Love You!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up