LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The issue of music  (Read 3146 times)

Offline Zelevo

• LGM Member

The issue of music
« on: August 16, 2007, 07:33:18 AM »
Thought I would share this with the body of christ.

Read: 1 Samuel 16:14-23

"You were in Eden, the garden of God; Every precious stone was your covering: The sardius, topaz, and diamond, Beryl, onyx, and jasper, Sapphire, turquoise, and emerald with gold. The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes was prepared for you on the day

When King Saul was tormented by an evil spirit, "instrumental music" was used to drive away the demons. Dear friend, if music can drive away demons, surely it will be able to attract them too.

Many people suffer from depression because they do not know how to create the right atmosphere for their lives. Instead of having "worship music", they listen to secular music from FM stations. Instead of listening to preaching, they listen to political discussions and the bad news of the world. Indeed, the two components that create an atmosphere are there, but they are the wrong components. The right components are worship music, and the preaching of the Word of God.

Unfortunately, many Christians do not know the effect that music has on evil spirits. There are biblical accounts which warn us about playing the wrong music. Satan, once called Lucifer, was created to worship God. Music was actually ingrained in him when he was formed. Lucifer was created with timbrels and pipes. Since he fell, this gift of music has been corrupted and used to fight against God.

Every Christian must be careful of secular music no matter how harmless it appears. Christian musicians must not play secular music if they want to be truly spiritual. Have you wondered at the kind of Christian music produced today? I have heard many spiritual people declare that they find it difficult to listen to this so-called gospel music.

Watch what you listen to because it may be attracting demons to your life. Much of the unspiritual music is charged with evil spirits which obsess their hearers. People become charged with spirits of lust and violence when they listen to certain music.

It came even to pass, AS THE TRUMPETERS AND SINGERS WERE AS ONE, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then THE HOUSE WAS FILLED WITH A CLOUD, EVEN THE HOUSE OF THE LORD; 2 Chronicles 5:13

The glory cloud came in because musicians and singers were doing the right thing. Surely, we must learn from this account that the right kind of singing and the right kind of instrumental music will bring in the presence of God
Repetition deepens Impression

Offline Lildrummaboy66

• LGM Member
  • F L O R I D A G A T O R S

Re: The issue of music
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 09:43:22 PM »
AMEN................................... ....
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love

HumbleGospelDrummer

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 10:33:06 PM »
I know all music other than gospel/worship is ungodly.  I understand but i dont understand at the same time how jazz(with no lyrics) is harmful.  I understand if God's not in it, the Devil is definately is, if it's not used to praise/worship God and do his works, then it's used for wordly purposes and is by the Devil.  I might be answering my own question but i still, dont, understand.  I guess the Devil really blinds people on the purpose of jazz music ?/? ?/?

Btw we need more threads like this around the forum.

Offline Zelevo

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 09:50:03 AM »
I know all music other than gospel/worship is ungodly.  I understand but i dont understand at the same time how jazz(with no lyrics) is harmful.  I understand if God's not in it, the Devil is definately is, if it's not used to praise/worship God and do his works, then it's used for wordly purposes and is by the Devil.  I might be answering my own question but i still, dont, understand.  I guess the Devil really blinds people on the purpose of jazz music ?/? ?/?

Btw we need more threads like this around the forum.

Threads like this hit a raw nerve. Am not surprise at the low response on this one.
Repetition deepens Impression

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 10:15:32 AM »
I know all music other than gospel/worship is ungodly. 

I disagree with this statement. The lyrics are what make a song ungodly, not the style. I believe that God created all styles of music. God is a God of veriety, He knew that different people would like different things; different styles of music.

Also, just because a song isn't about God dosen't make it wrong, or wicked. The hokey pokey has nothing to do with our lord and savior, but I bet you dnaced to it when you were a kid. There are lots of valid subjects besides God (Even though I believe that God is the ultimate subject). MOST (notice i didn't say all) of the things that secular artists sing about are a perversion of what God put on this earth for us to enjoy.
“If Better Is Possible, Good Is No Longer An Option.

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 01:47:08 PM »
Christian musicians must not play secular music if they want to be truly spiritual.

What do you mean by that?

I'm sick of these "secular" vs. "christian" music debates. I don't think I've seen anyone walk away with a clear understanding. It always ends in the same locked thread. We have so many men full of pride that come on here with legalistic views on the way christians should act, what we should say, how we should think. God is not legalistic. He's not a formula.

Listen guys, get close to God, find out who he is and what he's like intimately(that means alone by yourself). Spend time with him and the question of what is acceptable and what's not will become as clear as day.

Let's stop telling our brothers how wrong they are. Let's stop preparing in our minds "the right thing to say" or "the christian thing to say" before we even get the chance to truly listen to our own brothers, and love them, and hear from them. Let's encourage each other guys. I'm sick of these posts from people with hidden agendas wanting to condemn people and lift themselves up with pride when they're the same ones just as confused. I'm as guilty as charged, I've done it.

Let's just encourage and truly love and listen to our brothers who are weak in faith. You'll never know what God is doing in another individual or what God is taking them through for a PURPOSE.

We're all JACKED UP. We all need help. I don't think posts about demons attaching themselves to you through music, although true, will help anyone ESPECIALLY the lost.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 01:51:31 PM »
Good point Tko.  Another factor in the labeling of secular or (un-Godly) music, are the venues that you find the music playing in.  Jazz doesnt have lyrics but all the drinking and smoking around it makes it un-Godly.  But nowadays you just cant avoid it even in gospel.  SummerFest this year had people drinking and smoking at the gospel stages!  Darn Baptists!!!   :D  j/k

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 02:01:36 PM »
Threads like this hit a raw nerve. Am not surprise at the low response on this one.

To be honest, at first I took no interest in this thread for the simple fact that youre quoting diamonds being in the Garden of Eden!  Do you have any idea when diamonds were discovered.  Do you know where they come from?

Further more, these subjects have been touched enough times to know that the only fact is this, there are both right and wrong answers, depending on what angle youre looking from, and everyone has an angle.  In this case, the subject should be left alone if the opinions of others cannot be respected...and this is the drum forum...you know what goes on here.

Offline baldeagle

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 04:11:42 PM »

Listen guys, get close to God, find out who he is and what he's like intimately(that means alone by yourself). Spend time with him and the question of what is acceptable and what's not will become as clear as day.

I'm sick of these posts from people with hidden agendas wanting to condemn people and lift themselves up with pride when they're the same ones just as confused. I'm as guilty as charged, I've done it.

Let's just encourage and truly love and listen to our brothers who are weak in faith. You'll never know what God is doing in another individual or what God is taking them through for a PURPOSE.

We're all JACKED UP. We all need help. I don't think posts about demons attaching themselves to you through music, although true, will help anyone ESPECIALLY the lost.

I agree about getting close to God. But in the Word of God there is a clear line of holiness. Whenever someone asks, "Where's the line?" that's sinner code for, "I wanna stick as close to the world as possible."

I know all music other than gospel/worship is ungodly.  I understand but i dont understand at the same time how jazz(with no lyrics) is harmful.  I understand if God's not in it, the Devil is definately is, if it's not used to praise/worship God and do his works, then it's used for wordly purposes and is by the Devil. 

As for the music, music with no lyrics are not as dangerous because there is no message present to persuade you to do anything. That does not mean, however, that lyric-less music has no power. In 1 Samuel, David played with his hand. It doesn't say he sang anything. So if you're not married and you're listening to a sultry-sounding song that makes you want to grind on somebody, that was probably the intent of the writer. . . thereby being a channel for that particular idea. But if I write a song with no lyrics and it is just an expression of what I'm feeling (feelings are not spiritual, they are an extension the soul- which is NOT the spirit), then how can that be wrong, unless I'm intentionally trying to lead someone into a specific direction that goes against God's Word. I don't think Charlie Parker was trying to do anything but express himself in a very technically difficult way. So if there's nothing in the music that would deter you from God's Word, what would be the problem with it?

And, Audio, I hope that God has delivered you from the "demon of confusion."  ;D
It's God's way. . . or Hell to pay

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 04:35:41 PM »
To be honest, at first I took no interest in this thread for the simple fact that youre quoting diamonds being in the Garden of Eden!  Do you have any idea when diamonds were discovered.  Do you know where they come from?

The quote about diamonds and the Garden of Eden came from Ezekiel 28:13

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 05:09:34 PM »
The quote about diamonds and the Garden of Eden came from Ezekiel 28:13

...what version are you reading...hmmm...my point exactly.   ;) 

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 05:16:45 PM »
...what version are you reading...hmmm...my point exactly.   ;) 

My assumption is that wink means you're kidding. In case you're not, the KJ version. ;)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline The Dojz

• LGM Member
  • Layin down tracks for the Lord 24/7
    • www.Facebook.com/thedojz

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 07:20:09 PM »
Dude on Drums let me help you out jus alil bit-

13Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. (king James Version)

13 Thou wast in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, the topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was in thee; in the day that thou wast created they were prepared.  (American Standard Version (ASV) )

13In Eden, the garden of God, thou hast been, Every precious stone thy covering, Ruby, topaz, and diamond, beryl, onyx, and jasper, Sapphire, emerald, and carbuncle, and gold, The workmanship of thy tabrets, and of thy pipes, In thee in the day of thy being produced, have been prepared.
(Young's Literal Translation (YLT))

13 You were in Eden, (A) the garden of God.
    Every kind of precious stone covered you:
    carnelian, topaz, and diamond, [a]
    beryl, onyx, and jasper,
    sapphire, turquoise [c] and emerald. [d]
    Your mountings and settings were crafted in gold; (B)
    they were prepared on the day you were created. (Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB))

13En Edén, en el huerto de Dios estuviste: toda piedra preciosa fué tu vestidura; el sardio, topacio, diamante, crisólito, onique, y berilo, el zafiro, carbunclo, y esmeralda, y oro, los primores de tus tamboriles y pífanos estuvieron apercibidos para ti en el día de tu creación. (Reina-Valera Antigua (RVA))

13Stăteai în Eden, grădina lui Dumnezeu, şi erai acoperit cu tot felul de pietre scumpe: cu sardonic, cu topaz, cu diamant, cu hrisolit, cu onix, cu iaspis, cu safir, cu rubin, cu smaragd, şi cu aur; timpanele şi flautele erau în slujba ta, pregătite pentru ziua cînd ai fost făcut. (Romanian (RMNN))

That is just to list a few.

Thank you and may God bless you,
   The Dojz

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 09:02:07 AM »
Dude on Drums let me help you out jus alil bit-

13Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. (king James Version)

13 Thou wast in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, the topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was in thee; in the day that thou wast created they were prepared.  (American Standard Version (ASV) )

13In Eden, the garden of God, thou hast been, Every precious stone thy covering, Ruby, topaz, and diamond, beryl, onyx, and jasper, Sapphire, emerald, and carbuncle, and gold, The workmanship of thy tabrets, and of thy pipes, In thee in the day of thy being produced, have been prepared.
(Young's Literal Translation (YLT))

13 You were in Eden, (A) the garden of God.
    Every kind of precious stone covered you:
    carnelian, topaz, and diamond, [a]
    beryl, onyx, and jasper,
    sapphire, turquoise [c] and emerald. [d]
    Your mountings and settings were crafted in gold; (B)
    they were prepared on the day you were created. (Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB))

13En Edén, en el huerto de Dios estuviste: toda piedra preciosa fué tu vestidura; el sardio, topacio, diamante, crisólito, onique, y berilo, el zafiro, carbunclo, y esmeralda, y oro, los primores de tus tamboriles y pífanos estuvieron apercibidos para ti en el día de tu creación. (Reina-Valera Antigua (RVA))

13Stăteai în Eden, grădina lui Dumnezeu, şi erai acoperit cu tot felul de pietre scumpe: cu sardonic, cu topaz, cu diamant, cu hrisolit, cu onix, cu iaspis, cu safir, cu rubin, cu smaragd, şi cu aur; timpanele şi flautele erau în slujba ta, pregătite pentru ziua cînd ai fost făcut. (Romanian (RMNN))

That is just to list a few.

Why did you go through all of that?   ?/?  You obviously went through enough versions to know that there are about four others that dont mention diamonds, but you conveniently skipped over them!   :D  Or did you honestly miss them by mistake?   :D  In any case, here they are,  NIV, The Message, Amplified Bible, New Living Translation...Just to name a few   ;)

Come on fam.  My point is, dont bring up arguable scriptures and leave these controversial subjects alone.  Stop trying to be Online Preachers and E-Prophets!   ;D  Come up for air!  Sometimes people get too deep and its NEVER that serious and its NEVER worth the battle.

With that said...how bout that USA basketball team!  They whipped those boys last night by 43 points!!!!   :D

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 09:22:04 AM »
Why did you go through all of that?   ?/?  You obviously went through enough versions to know that there are about four others that dont mention diamonds.  NIV, The Message, Amplified Bible, New Living Translation...Just to name a few   ;)

Come on fam.  My point is, dont bring up arguable scriptures and leave these controversial subjects alone.  Stop trying to be Online Preachers and E-Prophets!   ;D  Come up for air!  Sometimes people get too deep and its NEVER that serious and its NEVER worth the battle.

With that said...how bout that USA basketball team!  They whipped those boys last night by 43 points!!!!   :D

Your a sick dude. I didn't see that but I did see how Baltimore got crushed in Baseball 30-3. Man these O fans are quiet here at work today.
I'm destined for greatness!!!

Offline baldeagle

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 09:28:38 AM »
Why did you go through all of that?   ?/?  You obviously went through enough versions to know that there are about four others that dont mention diamonds.  NIV, The Message, Amplified Bible, New Living Translation...Just to name a few   ;)

Hey, Sheen. . . I think the point of Zelevo bringing in this particular scripture was to show how music is related to Satan (I think), or at least how he can manipulate it. Anyway, I'm not sure what the point of the scripture was. But I will tell you this. I think God intends for us to be deeper than what we're comfortable with. That doesn't mean we're supposed to be so spiritually active that we're no earthly good. But it does mean that we are supposed to be aware (sober) of and responsive (vigilant) to the spiritual realm (1 Peter 5:8). I think a lot of "Christians" (I don't even know what that word means anymore) fall off because we don't pay enough attention to the spiritual realm (which is the way that God deals with us and communicates with us).

So let's not knock spiritual awareness, but let's also embrace balance.

By the way, who did the US team play? 'Cause that last "Dream Team" was a nightmare!!  :o
It's God's way. . . or Hell to pay

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 09:49:05 AM »
Baltimore???  You only need to be concerned about those Brewers!!!   :D

Yo the dream team played...I dont know how to spell the country's name so I will leave it blank!!!   :D

I dont want the grammarwizard to kick in the door!   :D

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 10:23:27 AM »
Baltimore???  You only need to be concerned about those Brewers!!!   :D

Yo the dream team played...I dont know how to spell the country's name so I will leave it blank!!!   :D

I dont want the grammarwizard to kick in the door!   :D

Naw man it's the Yank's all year long lol....LOL@The grammer wiz comment.
I'm destined for greatness!!!

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 12:57:45 PM »

Your a sick dude. I didn't see that but I did see how Baltimore got crushed in Baseball 30-3. Man these O fans are quiet here at work today.
Man, when I seen that on the news this morning I thought that it was a typ-o. That's a football game score right there....ridiculous!
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 01:58:36 PM »
Man, when I seen that on the news this morning I thought that it was a typ-o. That's a football game score right there....ridiculous!

Yeah that was a joke!  I took a double look at the screen as well!!  Unbelievable!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up