LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel Musicians Playing Worldy Music  (Read 4960 times)

Offline pianomanbaby

• LGM Member
  • The Minstrel

Gospel Musicians Playing Worldy Music
« on: August 16, 2007, 10:16:58 AM »
What do you think about this questions?
A Minstrel who loves God. Remember to learn to play in every key!!!

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

Re: Gospel Musicians Playing Worldy Music
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 10:19:13 AM »
define "worldly".

Offline pianomanbaby

• LGM Member
  • The Minstrel

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 10:31:58 AM »
By worldly music I mean like if you have been signed with a gospel record label and all of a sudden we catch you playing worldly music on the CD does it make it right or wrong. So should gospel musicians play worldly music or not?

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 10:34:22 AM »
What do you think about this questions?

I think it's just ONE question. :-\ :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline pianomanbaby

• LGM Member
  • The Minstrel

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 10:47:21 AM »
Wow this is a very simple question.

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 11:45:24 AM »
no, what is "worldly?"

Lil Jon?

Chick Corea?

Isley brothers?

Gap Band?

James Brown?

Loofa Vandross?

Gershwin?

Irving Berlin?

Rodgers and Hammerstein?

Chalie Parker?

Or is it something that dont got "JESUSJESUSJESUSJESUSJESUSJESUSJESUSJESU S" all over it?

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 12:14:31 PM »
What music ISN't wordly? WE all absorb and bring our past experiences into what we do.It's a heart issue,for example there' s a lot of music in church where JESUS  is an afterthought or a gimmick.Many profess CHRIST in music @ service,and NEVER mention HIM again-ESPECIALLy to the lost.who MIGHT benefit! Some annointed minstrels may HAVE to play less GODLY material to pay the freight.I play weddings and parties occasionally,never have asked for a dime to play for service, When i'm out in the world,gives me a chance to testify to those who REALLY need LORD. We have liberty in CHRIST;the balance is to walk the line as HE leads/allows.Very good question bro! simple but deep!!!   www.wayofthemaster.com

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 12:16:48 PM »
no, what is "worldly?"

Lil Jon?

Chick Corea?

Isley brothers?

Gap Band?

James Brown?

Loofa Vandross?

Gershwin?

Irving Berlin?

Rodgers and Hammerstein?

Chalie Parker?

Or is it something that dont got "JESUSJESUSJESUSJESUSJESUSJESUSJESUSJESU S" all over it?

Good questions. :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline pianomanbaby

• LGM Member
  • The Minstrel

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 02:50:56 PM »
Yes if its not a gospel artist then yes is worldly and other styles of music don't count I'm talking about yes Lil John, Snoop Dogg, Isley Brothers, etc....

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 03:05:45 PM »
so......

Mozart, is worldly.

Chuck Mangione is Worldly.

John Williams is worldly.

George gershwin is worldly.

Stravinsky is worldly.

Ravel is worldly.

Louie Armstrong is worldly.

AND.. what if I am saved, BUT im not a "gospel" artist? that is, the music that that I publish dont fit into the "gospel"
catagory?

I make this argument because we forget that there is other music besides "RnB, HipHop, and Rock"-the genres we use to point out that which we eschew. 
Music is a vast diaspora. It would be more accurate to mention certain songs, or even ceretain genres, but to use a blanket phrase IMO, is erroneous.

Yes we've talkied about this before, and I said it then, will say it now. Music cannot be easily boxed in.

still love ya tho. Now gimme five.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 03:09:02 PM »
so......

Mozart, is worldly.

Chuck Mangione is Worldly.

John Williams is worldly.

George gershwin is worldly.

Stravinsky is worldly.

Ravel is worldly.

Louie Armstrong is worldly.

AND.. what if I am saved, BUT im not a "gospel" artist? that is, the music that that I publish dont fit into the "gospel"
catagory?

I make this argument because we forget that there is other music besides "RnB, HipHop, and Rock"-the genres we use to point out that which we eschew. 
Music is a vast diaspora. It would be more accurate to mention certain songs, or even ceretain genres, but to use a blanket phrase IMO, is erroneous.

Yes we've talkied about this before, and I said it then, will say it now. Music cannot be easily boxed in.

still love ya tho. Now gimme five.

^5 ;) 8)

Offline MMCOGICboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 03:15:33 PM »
for my answer i will post a bulletin i got from Kevin Bond on myspace:

"As A Christian Should I Be Playing Worldly Music ?"

Greetings Friends,
I'm often asked questions that I believe will benefit the body if properly answered. Today I share my reply with you regarding one such question.

Greetings Chief,

What are your thoughts on 'Christian Musicians' on not-so Christian gigs? I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about. The whole.."I do this for a living mentality...", "...this is my job..." thing. I have personal thoughts and feelings about it. Fortunately I have been blessed to be playing for a Christian artist however, if a major R&B gig came along would I be wrong for taking it because I'm supposed to "come out from among them and be separate"?, or because "we are a peculiar people"?

I have always been intrigued by your insight...just curious as to what your thoughts are from a personal AND MORE IMPORTANTLY a biblical standpoint.

If the answer for this is too long to type..thats understandable. Some reference scriptures will be just fine.

Thanks,

Blogger

Greetings Blogger,
I'm familiar with all the scriptures and I urge you to study them IN PROPER CONTEXT, not just the words but the sustained meanings as well.

But here's the question. If we're God's body then how will they hear unless we go? For years preachers have bashed minstrels for doing what their name's applied. Minstrel: strolling musician who traveled about playing music.

The funny thing is that while they were bashing musicians for living out their call many of them were secretly plotting their own opportunities, or coveting the gift and the opportunities afforded the minstrels and psalmists. That's the reason why we see and have heard many of them change their message to do business and affect the community. It's because they too have come to realize that the greater gain both soul-wise and financially is not in the church but in the world. More church leaders have entered the worldly business sector than musicians of late. Thus the message has been tone down in a major way. It’s almost non-existent except in the fire and brimstone churches.

But I must add that one must be mature to be able to go into the world and compel men, or just to go and be light in the midst of darkness. Without the proper foundation one will succumb to sin and fall into lust and lewd behavior. So this arrangement must be prayerfully considered and one must know his/her limitations and spiritual state. The word states that If I'm IN Christ then I'm a new creature and the old has passed away and now my world is new. This speaks of the regeneration process wherein I'm no longer affected by my former worldly lusts. Bear in mind that the Godly process takes place immediately, but we must submit our total being to God in order for it to take place in us flesh-wise. So a proper relationship replete with study and the hearing of the word is paramount.

This has been and will always be hotspot in the body of Christ. But I choose to follow Christ' lead on this one. He said GO into all the world. Notice he didn't say Go into every tabernacle, synagogue, church, or temple. He urged us to get out of our comfort zones and meet the sinners where they are. After all how will we reach them if we don't know where they are and won't go where they are?

Most if not all say that I'm just doing it for the money. But I say, "Let MINISTRY be your GUIDE and MONEY will be GUIDED back to you to fund your ministry mission."

~BONDED~
Always remember Psalms 33:3- Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise.

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 04:25:49 PM »
alot of gospel artists use the music from a rap and r:b song and put gospel lyrics.We should quit focusing on the music and just focus on the lyrics.

ex.a local artist here used beyonce' deja vu music and put gospel lyrics.

Shannon moore

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 04:57:08 PM »
alot of gospel artists use the music from a rap and r:b song and put gospel lyrics.We should quit focusing on the music and just focus on the lyrics.

ex.a local artist here used beyonce' deja vu music and put gospel lyrics.

I'd love for you to ask David or Saul about that. ::)

Ramar

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 04:59:18 PM »
I'm not sure whether you are talking about playing worldly music in church, or on a recording (Music album), but I am refering to playing in church. It totally depends on the individual's convictions and the spirit of the individual, and also the song that is being played... there are some people who play Lil Jon music in church with the intent of bringing the club atmosphere in the church. They might want to get the church "crunk", so they play that type of music... and the problem with that is that if you look around the church you will often see some of the young folks doing worldly dances, because that type of music teaches them that it is okay to do that... on the other hand... It can have advantages... I played R. Kelly's "happy people" in the church during offering.. and it helped usher in the spirit of joy in the church... people were gettin excited-both young and old... people began to praise God and get happy... and no--they weren't shaking their butts or doing worldly dances, they were standing and clapping, shouting and praising God- I played the song in the right spirit- I wanted to spread joy, besides the song is not vulgar at all, nor does it have any sexually explicit or offensive lyrics. But as I stated before it depends on the individuals convictions-- some people can do it without feeling bad, and some people's conscience wont allow it. Also we must be sensitive to others in the church... If there are some in the church that are offended, and you know that they are offended, then please don't do it-- you are sewing discord among the people, and that's not what Christians are to do

Ramar

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 05:20:27 PM »
I apologize, i did not answer your question correctly... I just read where you talked about if a person was signed to a record label and released a CD...

But my reply is this:

The thing about music is that it has the power to evoke emotion-- It can make you cry or laugh, it can make you cheerful or depressed, it can make you angry or any other type of emotion. The spirit and feelings of an individual can be captured in a few chords or in a simple melody... there are often times where worldly musicians will play just the right notes to give a gospel artist the chills... ( I ain't the only one in here who loved the "circle of life" from the Lion King)... those very chords/melody may be exactly what the artist needs to get his message across... Believe it or not, it IS possible to listen to worldly music just because of the music and not the words... it's not possible for everybody but it is possible for many... often times, myself included, people listen to worldly music and just wish it were made for gospel-- we can even come up with the perfect lyrics, the perfect harmonies, and ideas for the song that would just blow the original song out the water!!!! So when an artist does play a bar or two of a worldly song, don't blast him/her... it may have been exactly what the musician needed to express himself/herself... and if it does offend you-- remember... you DON'T HAVE to listen to it... it may not be for you, it could be for someone else to listen to and feel the power of God!!! God Bless You!!!

Offline Julie spivey

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 06:15:22 AM »
Food for thought.....Does it give God the Glory? Would you consider this song or another if Jesus was on the front row and this was your last curtain call...

Offline jgause2

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 09:49:24 AM »
so if i wanted to write/ compose like for example wedding songs  for married couples, or songs of love (for married couples).....would that be considered worldly too???   
The only place where "success" comes before "work" is in the dictionary

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 10:26:57 AM »
so if i wanted to write/ compose like for example wedding songs  for married couples, or songs of love (for married couples).....would that be considered worldly too???   

It would be; but, I believe that you'd be ok, because your audience is married couples. Now, that's just ME talkin'.

I think the above poster said it best, does it bring glory to God, either directly (via you) or indirectly (meaning that your purpose is to meet a need of the people you're serving i.e. writing love songs for married couples; writing movie scores; etc).

Ramar

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 10:59:52 AM »
I feel that too often Gospel artists and "church folk" feel that they are beyond the things of this life. As long as we are in this world, we will have to face "worldly" issues. There is nothing wrong with writing love songs for married people... It's apart of life. We often forget that some of life's issues can cause a person to go astray from God and fall. Marriage is a perfect example. Love is from God, and there is no denying that certain "non-gospel" love songs can create certain emotions such as love. There is nothing wrong with that... The Bible does instruct husbands to love their wives, and vice-versa. Love songs (not sex songs, people!!!!....) can create certain moods that are necessary for a married couple to express their love... once again love is from God and is present whether the artist chooses to acknowledge God or not. Just because a song doesn't have JESUS-JESUS-JESUS all over it does not mean that that it is wrong. When a man talks to his wife about paying bills does his conversation have "Jesus" in every sentence? I doubt it. Love songs are usually a reflection of what is going on through the artists mind and what's in his heart at that time. And you'd be lying to me if you said that Jesus was on your mind 24/7
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up