LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel Musicians Playing Worldy Music  (Read 4959 times)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Gospel Musicians Playing Worldy Music
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 11:07:12 AM »
I feel that too often Gospel artists and "church folk" feel that they are beyond the things of this life. As long as we are in this world, we will have to face "worldly" issues. There is nothing wrong with writing love songs for married people... It's apart of life. We often forget that some of life's issues can cause a person to go astray from God and fall. Marriage is a perfect example. Love is from God, and there is no denying that certain "non-gospel" love songs can create certain emotions such as love. There is nothing wrong with that... The Bible does instruct husbands to love their wives, and vice-versa. Love songs (not sex songs, people!!!!....) can create certain moods that are necessary for a married couple to express their love... once again love is from God and is present whether the artist chooses to acknowledge God or not. Just because a song doesn't have JESUS-JESUS-JESUS all over it does not mean that that it is wrong. When a man talks to his wife about paying bills does his conversation have "Jesus" in every sentence? I doubt it. Love songs are usually a reflection of what is going on through the artists mind and what's in his heart at that time. And you'd be lying to me if you said that Jesus was on your mind 24/7

You make interesting points. If I may, I suggest trying to separate those points with a little thing I like to call, "The Paragraph" ;) :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Ramar

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 11:10:56 AM »
thank you... I'll try that

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 11:30:11 AM »
To be honest it’s a judgement call. Just recently a friend of mine who is not a Christian asked me if I could be involved on his CD that he is making. He is singing "WORLDLY MUSIC", I was wondering wither or not I should do this.

PianoWiz...

Offline Rev_G

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 12:39:09 PM »
Hello again. First of all we must understand music as a universal language. It is not catagorilized untill you put words to it. Even tho there are instumentals that are in a catagory. If I play boom-chuck-boom,boom chuck on my drums, am I playing jazz, blues, religious, country, rock, heavy metal, RnB, hip hop, top 40? Well yes and no. It may fall in a catagory but it is just a beat. The old "flashlight" bass line from Parlament if speeded up can be found in praise music. The beat of George Benson's "on Broadway" can be found in a lot of music! So because the chords progression reminds you of a worldy song doesn't mean you are playing worldly music. You are using your skill. Anyone that took music lessons didn't learn only religious, country, rock or hip hop. You learned chords and progressions. Minors, majors, flats and sharps. The music to Mary Mary's "Yesterday" if you think about it can be blues or jazz. But because of the words, it is religious. (I say religious because the gospel is preached. it is not sung or music. read your Bibles) and to the Gentleman who does wedding music, in my opinion it is GODLY music because hopefully the words you write and if the couple sings it to each other is just expressing words or their vow to each other in song. Be blessed! 

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 03:34:58 PM »

I'd love for you to ask David or Saul about that. ::)

I would love to ask them that question.I played sean paul gimme the light while the youth choir was singing im walking by donniw mcCLurkin.
Shannon moore

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2007, 03:43:28 PM »
alot of gospel artists use the music from a rap and r:b song and put gospel lyrics.We should quit focusing on the music and just focus on the lyrics.

ex.a local artist here used beyonce' deja vu music and put gospel lyrics.

We can't quit focusing on the music.  The music is a part of the ministry, it all needs to be holy and acceptable to God.  I also submit that people in the congregation who had prior "affiliations" with certain songs that are completely unlike God in content, would have a problem worshipping to the same familiar song, even if the words were different.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2007, 04:22:19 PM »
We can't quit focusing on the music.  The music is a part of the ministry, it all needs to be holy and acceptable to God.  I also submit that people in the congregation who had prior "affiliations" with certain songs that are completely unlike God in content, would have a problem worshipping to the same familiar song, even if the words were different.

Exactamundo.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Ramar

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2007, 05:34:53 PM »

Some music/songs ain't for everybody... God deals with each of us accordingly. There are some songs that might be just what a particular person needs to hear. Everybody doesn't worship to the same music. Just because a song may not be acceptable unto you does not mean that God won't accept it. Unless the actual song/music is in direct opposition to God... there is nothing wrong with it.

I do feel that if you are going to use a familiar tune, you should change the words completely. For example don't be up there singin Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and the only thing you change is the words from "This is the thriller" to "He can deliver"... you gonna have people moonwalkin all over the church!!!!

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2007, 06:49:13 PM »
i resign it to a question that cannot and should not be globally answered. Its an individual thing.

I remember listening to Israel's Christmas CD. (it is the TROOF by the way) and as a musician, i was like WHOA......

I heard a lil' Luther, MJ, a LOT of classic soul in there. he really showed his "musician" roots. 

some folk would have an issue with it. I dont.

One must do what is right for them(and according to the word). And execpt it be written in black and white(and in some versions, red) skripchah, what's right for you may not be wright for another.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2007, 07:08:45 PM »
i resign it to a question that cannot and should not be globally answered. Its an individual thing.

I remember listening to Israel's Christmas CD. (it is the TROOF by the way) and as a musician, i was like WHOA......

I heard a lil' Luther, MJ, a LOT of classic soul in there. he really showed his "musician" roots. 

some folk would have an issue with it. I dont.

One must do what is right for them(and according to the word). And execpt it be written in black and white(and in some versions, red) skripchah, what's right for you may not be wright for another.

That ideology doesn't work in a corporate setting.  ;)

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2007, 07:14:49 PM »
Are you referencing "corporate" as in group of people as in "in church?"

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2007, 07:21:51 PM »
Are you referencing "corporate" as in group of people as in "in church?"

Both

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2007, 07:24:21 PM »
ok, I'll agree on the corporate issue, which is contingent upon the "house", as im sure i couldnt play "cross movement" in my church.

My defence is usually like i said, for the individual.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2007, 07:28:33 PM »
ok, I'll agree on the corporate issue, which is contingent upon the "house", as im sure i couldnt play "cross movement" in my church.

My defence is usually like i said, for the individual.

I can understand your defense. I'm always thinking corporately when this question arises. It's one of the reasons there's so much 'fluff' in the church now.

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2007, 07:48:33 PM »

I can understand your defense. I'm always thinking corporately when this question arises. It's one of the reasons there's so much 'fluff' in the church now.

Defence=british variant of defense. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Its that Jamaican thing. We speak the King's english.

When it comes to the church, I take the position of a servant of the house, that is, ministering to the need of the people. If the demographic is older, i aint gonna bust out with Tye Tribbet's "Victory".

If the demographic is younger, mebbe more contemporary. But I'm aware of the fact that someone hearing a certain song could hinder them. In the church building, it aint my call. I's lets the H.S. do what He do.

But in Wolfy Tabernacle, where D.A. Wolfman is chief prelate, thats a different story.

(altho, we're supposed to do isreal's "who is like the Lord" in a few weeks, wonder how the "California Love"(which is really Joe Cocker's "woman to woman") section's gonna go over....:D)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2007, 08:26:18 PM »
Defence=british variant of defense. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Its that Jamaican thing. We speak the King's english.

When it comes to the church, I take the position of a servant of the house, that is, ministering to the need of the people. If the demographic is older, i aint gonna bust out with Tye Tribbet's "Victory".

If the demographic is younger, mebbe more contemporary. But I'm aware of the fact that someone hearing a certain song could hinder them. In the church building, it aint my call. I's lets the H.S. do what He do.

But in Wolfy Tabernacle, where D.A. Wolfman is chief prelate, thats a different story.

(altho, we're supposed to do isreal's "who is like the Lord" in a few weeks, wonder how the "California Love"(which is really Joe Cocker's "woman to woman") section's gonna go over....:D)

Depends on how long you play it.  ;)

Offline angiey

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2007, 10:20:15 PM »
I would say to you that the only thing that makes music worldly is the
lyrics that are put to them. Because without the words how do you interpet the meaning?

Offline keysarerare

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2007, 12:06:46 AM »
Its very funny in you answering asking that statement.  Its a good topic to discuss.  At times, that thought comes across my mind; other times, I hear older people saying they are briging the world into the church.  However, we have to look into the true meaning of music and how our playing and musical selections will enhance an edify our worship services.  We can ask is music "sin"? No.   I dont think its the music.  Music itself is music. To me its like energy; it can not be created or destoryed.  The notes are the same like if I were to play a selection in the key of A flat in the church and then play in one of Michael Jackson's song in A flat, four flats in A flat scale doesn't change.

Another thing, during praise services, the music is at an upbeat, high volume, and very intensified (focusing on the music rhythm )...the members are dancing, rolling on the floor, juming, crying, lifting up hands, and giving the highest praises to God, could one call that worldly music  or church music.  On the otherhand, If play at a BB King concert and people are doing the same thing, there.  Could one call that worldly music or church music?  So I must conclude that there is no such thing as worldly music, but there is a such thing as taking music and transforming it to the world standpoint. 

So to all musicians play to the glory of God where He may bless the church through your playing.

I hope this will be an aid in answering your question.

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2007, 01:30:59 AM »
Funny that you use BB King as an example, as the "blues" and "gospel" share many scale types. (all comes from the same root.)

I think the question was moreso directed at a musician personally, in regard to what HE/SHE plays, as many musician when it comes to the church play what the church requires.(or should)

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2007, 07:19:12 AM »

u r right.it is  up to the indiviual if the want to play worldly music or not.
Shannon moore
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up