LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP ME PLEAZE  (Read 977 times)

Offline todd pickell

• LGM Member

HELP ME PLEAZE
« on: July 30, 2007, 10:46:21 AM »
 ?/? need singing help please.... I have been on the worship team at my church for 3 years now as a bass player, (and I love it :)  )  however recently our keyboardist/ leader has carpal tunnel and can no longer play so we have switched to everyone singing against music in the background the drummer and I are the only guys up there and our drummer quit after 1 week of trying to sing. i dont know anything about singing the girls say i sound okay, but i have no clue to what i'm actually doing up there, half the time I think I'm just making the girls sound bad, not sure.  I feel as if some one took away an instrument I knew well and gave me a new instrument i have never seen before and have no idea on earth how to use it.  I DONT WANT TO QUIT God has called me to this part of ministry and I'm toughing it out but would really appreciate any advice you guys could give to an  absolute novice on singing in general and singing with a choir full of women all singing different notes. I dont know what part I sing ( tenor, alto ??) just know on some songs I have to sing pretty low and on others I have to sing more mid range I tried practicing with just the music and trying to tune my voice to what the music is playing the way I would tune a guitar or bass, and I try to sing like that to, not sure if that is right or not and some times it's hard to hear where I should sing during practice and song service with all the girls singing different parts.  the girls are all very nice but they dont really know how to help me all they know is how to sing their own parts. please help the girls sound beautiful when they sing the last thing I want to do is make them sound bad. any advice, exersices, knowlege, tips or hints would be greatly appreciated as I know absolutley nothing about what I'm doing up there.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Re: HELP ME PLEAZE
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 10:51:24 AM »
Welcome to LGM Todd.
:)

Offline todd pickell

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 11:23:03 AM »
also if some one could tell me the difference between harmony and melody parts and as the only guy singing with a low voice what part I should sing

Offline todd pickell

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 11:38:43 AM »
also whats the difference between head voice and chest voice????  ?/? alot of this stuff is greek to me  ?/?

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 05:30:26 PM »
Hi, Todd -

Sorry about your having to sing to recordings - background tracks are OK but I prefer live :-)
As a fellow instrumentalist I know it's a big switch. Singers tend to focus on something called "blend", that is, they don't want any one voice to stand out too loud from the group (unless it's a solo). So it's a good sign that you're accepted - you must be doing somthing right! Keep on with it, things will get better with time.

Now about your questions - Voices can either be high (tenor for guys, soprano for gals) medium (baritone/2nd.sop) or low (bass/alto). Each person has a high (head) and low (chest) range. The border between these two ranges is called the "break", kind of like the difference in tone between your highest and lowest strings on the bass. If you ever listen to some old Quartet recordings on YouTube or similar you might hear examples of this. Falsetto is a type of "head" voice that tenors use to get up into their highest notes. You'll notice when some of those guys do that their tone sounds 'light' and thinner. That's head voice. And a type of growly voice Basses use to scoop out their lower notes - that's "chest" voice.

Melody is the words/notes that most people sing - like "Someone asked the question" in Kirk Franklin's WHY WE SING. Harmony is when his backup choir breaks out with "I sing because I'm happy". Sopranos end up with the melody, mostly, with tenors doing it sometimes - but altos and tenors usually get the harmony parts, with basses taking up the bottom. Most Gospel music is 3-part SAB (soprano, alto, baritone/tenor). If you cannot find your part right away, a good strategy is to find the melody, unless someone else in your group wants to teach you a harmony part. But as a Bass player you might be able to pick out a bass line for yourself if your voice can get down there...

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 01:55:46 AM »
Welcome to the LGM Family "betnich"....Be Blessed.

PianoWiz...
Pages: [1]   Go Up