LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whos this punk kid on kit!  (Read 6447 times)

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

Re: Whos this punk kid on kit!
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2007, 03:05:54 PM »
Man you know we all started on those sizes.  Those sizes are aka "the make you or break you sizes."  Did you see the clip of young Jeremy Haynes (13 yrs.) killin' on the 12, 13, 14, 16 kit with the Remo Ambassador CS heads? LOL

I

Man I am still playing on that set...Thinking about upgrading.
I'm destined for greatness!!!

Offline freddyfusion

• LGM Member

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2007, 03:07:23 PM »

Sheen, what's with the 15x17 and 19x23 "power" rack toms?? I mean, you're killin', but them toms is HUGE!!!!!!!!! :o ;D

Are you on any recordings? I'd love to check out some stuff you've put on "wax."

bwaaaaahhhahahaaaaaa
    and
ditto- on the recordings

i hate rockin the 80's big as floor tom power toms  >:(
LIVE FROM HEAVEN- Eph. 2:6
play where you wanna be

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2007, 03:20:19 PM »
Hey I am still rockin the 12",13", 16" standards... coated G2s, LOL.... don't laugh. You can hear them for miles around, LOL.

Seriously though. I am just now catching the clip and I must tip my hat to Sheen. Doc you make it look easy! I know that you work hrd to get to that point.
Share a little about you practice regime of old, doc. In terms of mindset/approach, influences, listening etc.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2007, 06:29:12 PM »
Sheen, what's with the 15x17 and 19x23 "power" rack toms?? I mean, you're killin', but them toms is HUGE!!!!!!!!! :o ;D
Are you on any recordings? I'd love to check out some stuff you've put on "wax."

LOL!  That was at a church in Indiana!  I am not responsible for those tom sizes!  LOL!  But as far as recordings, unfortunately I have never recorded something that has actually hit the market for sale!  So everything I have is copywritten and cannot be released.  Check my music page,   www.myspace.com/drummasheen1    I have a few snippets on there.  The bass player from the video (Lance) produced the last 3 tracks on my page.  He's playing bass and all keys. 

Share a little about your practice regime of old, doc. In terms of mindset/approach, influences, listening etc.

Thanks Sabe!  When I practice, I just sit down and play what ever is on my mind.  I dont practice to click tracks or music.  This might sound weird, but I actually compose my own music in my head when I practice sometimes.  If I stumble across an idea, I dont move on until I master it.  No matter how long it takes.  My idea is to make everything as clean as possible.  Dynamics are very key as well.  From a simple groove to the fastest lick.  Everything must be clean and precise, otherwise whats the point, you know?  I always try to find the easiest way to get the sound I'm looking for in terms of equally distributing the notes I play between my hands and feet.  I also try not to play notes that just look good, which sometimes makes the idea look harder than what it really is. 

I grew up on the Yellowjackets and Dave Weckl.  Will Kennedy is the man.  Period.  He's a heart player and it took me a while to gain that concept but thats what really matters.  Your heart doesnt lie.  You just gotta listen and feel.  When you rush and try to force things to happen, your heart will convict you.  I still experience this sometimes and its just a reminder to play what's nesassary.  Even when I'm practicing.  I dont say, "today I'm going to work on fast stuff and tomorrow, I'll work on grooves."  No.  I just sit down and play what I'm feeling at the time and build from there.  Clean everything up.  Before you know it, your skills have improved. 

I practice 3 hours a day, 3 times a week.  I used to do alot of shedding with other drummers but nowadays, I'm either practicing by myself or with a bass and keyboard player.  Sometimes I practice with a saxophone player just because it makes you think differently.  I like to put myself in challenging situations like that in order to become more musical in my playing.  And I dont mean soloing and playing more licks, just cause there are less musicians at the time.  I mean blending in with my musical surroundings, no matter what the instruments involved are.

Right now I am listening to alot of Robert Glasper.  His piano playing is heavily influencing my drum playing!  This guy is very inspiring.  For those of you who dont know, Robert Glasper is the keyboard player on most of the underground Chris Dave clips you hear.  But he has 3 solo projects on the market with his trio.  If you love real jazz, (not that smooth, watered down crap) then I recomend anyone to check them out.   :)

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2007, 05:46:02 AM »

LOL!  That was at a church in Indiana!  I am not responsible for those tom sizes!  LOL!  But as far as recordings, unfortunately I have never recorded something that has actually hit the market for sale!  So everything I have is copywritten and cannot be released.  Check my music page,   www.myspace.com/drummasheen1    I have a few snippets on there.  The bass player from the video (Lance) produced the last 3 tracks on my page.  He's playing bass and all keys. 

Thanks Sabe!  When I practice, I just sit down and play what ever is on my mind.  I dont practice to click tracks or music.  This might sound weird, but I actually compose my own music in my head when I practice sometimes.  If I stumble across an idea, I dont move on until I master it.  No matter how long it takes.  My idea is to make everything as clean as possible.  Dynamics are very key as well.  From a simple groove to the fastest lick.  Everything must be clean and precise, otherwise whats the point, you know?  I always try to find the easiest way to get the sound I'm looking for in terms of equally distributing the notes I play between my hands and feet.  I also try not to play notes that just look good, which sometimes makes the idea look harder than what it really is. 

I grew up on the Yellowjackets and Dave Weckl.  Will Kennedy is the man.  Period.  He's a heart player and it took me a while to gain that concept but thats what really matters.  Your heart doesnt lie.  You just gotta listen and feel.  When you rush and try to force things to happen, your heart will convict you.  I still experience this sometimes and its just a reminder to play what's nesassary.  Even when I'm practicing.  I dont say, "today I'm going to work on fast stuff and tomorrow, I'll work on grooves."  No.  I just sit down and play what I'm feeling at the time and build from there.  Clean everything up.  Before you know it, your skills have improved. 

I practice 3 hours a day, 3 times a week.  I used to do alot of shedding with other drummers but nowadays, I'm either practicing by myself or with a bass and keyboard player.  Sometimes I practice with a saxophone player just because it makes you think differently.  I like to put myself in challenging situations like that in order to become more musical in my playing.  And I dont mean soloing and playing more licks, just cause there are less musicians at the time.  I mean blending in with my musical surroundings, no matter what the instruments involved are.

Right now I am listening to alot of Robert Glasper.  His piano playing is heavily influencing my drum playing!  This guy is very inspiring.  For those of you who dont know, Robert Glasper is the keyboard player on most of the underground Chris Dave clips you hear.  But he has 3 solo projects on the market with his trio.  If you love real jazz, (not that smooth, watered down crap) then I recomend anyone to check them out.   :)

Man this is some good knowledge. My homeboy just put me on to some Fusion Jazz and I happen to come across these cats you mention. It's something about it that I just dig. Could be the amount of space to allow myself to get creative while still staying in the pocket. Good Recommendations Sheen.

Rjthakid

« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2007, 12:48:42 PM »

Thanks Sabe!  When I practice, I just sit down and play what ever is on my mind.  I dont practice to click tracks or music.  This might sound weird, but I actually compose my own music in my head when I practice sometimes.  If I stumble across an idea, I dont move on until I master it.  No matter how long it takes.  My idea is to make everything as clean as possible.  Dynamics are very key as well.   From a simple groove to the fastest lick.  Everything must be clean and precise, otherwise whats the point, you know?  I always try to find the easiest way to get the sound I'm looking for in terms of equally distributing the notes I play between my hands and feet.  I also try not to play notes that just look good, which sometimes makes the idea look harder than what it really is. 

Right now I am listening to alot of Robert Glasper.  His piano playing is heavily influencing my drum playing!   This guy is very inspiring.  For those of you who dont know, Robert Glasper is the keyboard player on most of the underground Chris Dave clips you hear.  But he has 3 solo projects on the market with his trio.  If you love real jazz, (not that smooth, watered down crap) then I recomend anyone to check them out.   :)
[/quote]

Interesting.

Offline ikickset

• LGM Member
    • myspace

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2007, 01:57:59 PM »
wow. awesome solo. i must go watch again!

Offline waydrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2007, 01:31:24 AM »
yeah that's my cuz, wish he show me somethin!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2007, 06:04:12 AM »

Thanks Sabe!  When I practice, I just sit down and play what ever is on my mind.  I dont practice to click tracks or music.  This might sound weird, but I actually compose my own music in my head when I practice sometimes.  If I stumble across an idea, I dont move on until I master it.  No matter how long it takes.  My idea is to make everything as clean as possible.  Dynamics are very key as well. [/b] [/size]  From a simple groove to the fastest lick.  Everything must be clean and precise, otherwise whats the point, you know?  I always try to find the easiest way to get the sound I'm looking for in terms of equally distributing the notes I play between my hands and feet.  I also try not to play notes that just look good, which sometimes makes the idea look harder than what it really is. 

Right now I am listening to alot of Robert Glasper.  His piano playing is heavily influencing my drum playing! [/font][/color] This guy is very inspiring.  For those of you who dont know, Robert Glasper is the keyboard player on most of the underground Chris Dave clips you hear.  But he has 3 solo projects on the market with his trio.  If you love real jazz, (not that smooth, watered down crap) then I recomend anyone to check them out.   :)

As I have been reading Modern Drummer lately several big namedplayers are stating that they are stepping a way from playing to clicks. Music these days have become steril in feel because of computerization/clicks rather than natural ebb and flow (yet consistant) time keeping.

Every drummer that has playe with Chic Corea and other stablised pianist site they become better players rhythmically and timing wise after the experience. Sounds like you may have a similar experience as well. Most forget or don't kow the piano as percussion instrument nor as a major component of the rhythm section.

Where do you get off talking about a drummer composing,  ;D ::) :o. ou mut think you are a musician or something. What I guess you ant to be a band leader someday!? ... seriously dude that is mature thinking on your part and shows how important the music is to you as opposed to your instrument. Also shows you know your responsibility/role in an ensemble/band scenario.

Thank you for your feedback I am sure this has helped some people face reality. Keep making it look effortless.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2007, 07:10:18 AM »
yeah that's my cuz, wish he show me somethin!

yeah, right... ;D  show me some chords!

As I have been reading Modern Drummer lately several big namedplayers are stating that they are stepping a way from playing to clicks. Music these days have become steril in feel because of computerization/clicks rather than natural ebb and flow (yet consistant) time keeping.

Every drummer that has playe with Chic Corea and other stablised pianist site they become better players rhythmically and timing wise after the experience. Sounds like you may have a similar experience as well. Most forget or don't kow the piano as percussion instrument nor as a major component of the rhythm section.

Where do you get off talking about a drummer composing,  ;D ::) :o. ou mut think you are a musician or something. What I guess you ant to be a band leader someday!? ... seriously dude that is mature thinking on your part and shows how important the music is to you as opposed to your instrument. Also shows you know your responsibility/role in an ensemble/band scenario.

Thank you for your feedback I am sure this has helped some people face reality. Keep making it look effortless.

Thanks again Sabe and to everyone for their encouragement! 

HumbleGospelDrummer

« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2007, 02:15:45 PM »
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ ?/? ?/?

..........what happen to the clip?

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2007, 02:22:29 PM »
:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ ?/? ?/?

..........what happen to the clip?

Dunno but I got it on my comp at home.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up