Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ab#?  (Read 1809 times)

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Ab#?
« on: September 07, 2007, 03:51:23 PM »

I don't know how they did it, but the other day, during rehearsal, our choir was singing Ab# when they were supposed to be singing Ab. Maybe my keyboard is out of tune. It is a Triton, after all.

Offline anointedfingaz

• LGM Member

Re: Ab#?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 04:06:40 PM »
how do you mean Ab#? Were they sharp compared to your keyboard? Or did it sound like a key between Ab and A?

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 07:39:56 PM »
That was my wife's question too.

They were in between.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 06:57:55 PM »
That was my wife's question too.

They were in between.
What?  I didn't know that was possible.

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 10:47:50 PM »
I don't know how they did it, but the other day, during rehearsal, our choir was singing Ab# when they were supposed to be singing Ab. Maybe my keyboard is out of tune. It is a Triton, after all.

Doc, this could have very well been if the keyboards master tune was altered, then this will surely happen!  AND THAT A RAPP!!! ;)  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 12:30:57 PM »

Doc, this could have very well been if the keyboards master tune was altered, then this will surely happen!  AND THAT A RAPP!!! ;)  Bishop Cole

It wasn't the tuning. It was just that one note they sang. Ab#.

;)

LOL

Offline anointedfingaz

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 01:00:32 PM »

;)

LOL

Well there are such things and quarter tones (between two notes) and microtones (between quarter tones) which are basically notes between notes. The note you heard is actually called "A quarter flat". To those who play western style music, it sounds out of tune, maybe a little flat or a little sharp but other cultures like Celtic, Eastern (chinese/japanese), and especially Indian have made complete scales out of these kind of notes. So in your situation, it means one of two things: your choir is off da hook because they can hear and sing quarter tones or you have a little tuning problem and all it takes are some pitch exercises to get everything back to normal. Considering that we're playing gospel though, I would say it's the latter, lol.  Just have them tune to your piano but first make sure the piano is in tune. You can set to default settings or check with a tuner (like the ones your bass probably uses).

Actually it happens a lot when the choir or any wind instrument groups are listening to one another and tuning to each other.  If one person sings/plays the pitch off slightly, everybody will tune with it and all be off; however, they're all still "in-tune" with each other just not with a piano. It's actually a very fascinating occurrence how people tune with their ears.  I hope that made sense.  ;D   

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 01:48:28 PM »
Well there are such things and quarter tones (between two notes) and microtones (between quarter tones) which are basically notes between notes. The note you heard is actually called "A quarter flat". To those who play western style music, it sounds out of tune, maybe a little flat or a little sharp but other cultures like Celtic, Eastern (chinese/japanese), and especially Indian have made complete scales out of these kind of notes. So in your situation, it means one of two things: your choir is off da hook because they can hear and sing quarter tones or you have a little tuning problem and all it takes are some pitch exercises to get everything back to normal. Considering that we're playing gospel though, I would say it's the latter, lol.  Just have them tune to your piano but first make sure the piano is in tune. You can set to default settings or check with a tuner (like the ones your bass probably uses).

Actually it happens a lot when the choir or any wind instrument groups are listening to one another and tuning to each other.  If one person sings/plays the pitch off slightly, everybody will tune with it and all be off; however, they're all still "in-tune" with each other just not with a piano. It's actually a very fascinating occurrence how people tune with their ears.  I hope that made sense.  ;D   

Yea. I knew about the quarter flats, etc....It was just a funny rehearsal.

They used to sound like Grover from Sesame Street....and would say that they sounded good! Lord help 'em. They are getting better though. If only they would practice on their own time, then we could really get somewhere! Rehearsal after rehearsal, they'll say that they didn't have time to practice at home.

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 11:36:42 PM »

;)

LOL

Now you know that I am geeting ready to say....  YEESSSS INDEED!!! ;)  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"
Pages: [1]   Go Up