LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lessons Learned From September 11  (Read 245 times)

Offline JustBecause

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me & My kids :)

Lessons Learned From September 11
« on: September 11, 2007, 08:21:38 AM »
Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Lessons Learned From September 11
Alan Riley

In our Daily Devotionals we are currently going through a series on the Power of Prayer.  Today, on the sixth anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, we pause to reflect and to remember....

There are certain events that are forever burned into our memory, events that everyone remembers where they were when they first heard the news.  The attack on Pearl Harbor, the assassinations of JFK and Martin Luther King, the Challenger Disaster... and of course September 11, 2001.

Today there will be extensive media coverage as America and the world remembers, even if just for a day, the horrible events that took place on this date six years ago.

But the stark reality is that for most of us, life has returned to normal.

In the aftermath of 911 we were all united.  Democrats and Republicans put aside their differences and stood on the Capitol steps and sang "God Bless America."  Our churches were filled with people who hadn't gone to church in years.  We all realized how fragile life can be.  Policemen and Firemen were recognized as heroes. We were truly thankful for our freedom.  We loved our country, warts and all. 

Then things went back to "normal".  The Left and the Right started fighting again.  Church attendance returned to pre-911 levels.  We started taking all those things and all those people for granted again.

I hate normal.  I don't want to be normal.  To be normal is to be mediocre.  To be normal is to be average.  The events of September 11, 2001 reminded us all how short, how fragile life can be.  My time here is limited.  I only get one shot at this life, so I want to make the most of every day, take advantage of every opportunity, cherish every moment spent with those I love, touch as many people as I possibly can.  I don't want to be normal!

A "normal" husband takes his wife for granted.  A "normal" father is distant from his kids.  A "normal" neighbor doesn't know or care about those who live around him. A "normal citizen" doesn't bother to get involved or to vote. Worst of all, a "normal" Christian is lukewarm, rarely prays, seldom reads the Word and hardly ever spends time alone with God.   I don't want to be normal!

I don't want to be a "normal" husband; I want to give my wife the love and honor she deserves.  I don't want to be a "normal" father; I want to leave a legacy of love, laughter and faith for my children.  I don't want to be a "normal" neighbor; I want to reach out and show the love of Jesus to those who live around me.  I don't want to be a "normal" citizen; I want to be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem with my country.

Most of all, I don't want to be a "normal" Christian.  I want to be a passionate, wholehearted follower of Jesus whose heart burns to know and do His will and to demonstrate His love in both word and deed.

This is my prayer for me, for my church, for my nation, and especially for the Body of Christ on this day: Lord, deliver us from normal!  Help us rise above normal to be extraordinary people who make an impact on our world.
1 - Father
1 - Son
1 - Holy Spirit
Recipe for Greatness...

changedman

Re: Lessons Learned From September 11
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 08:26:14 AM »
Well i'm trying to stay away from any news clips on said subject. They always make me cry and lose sleep!  Same with louisiana footage from the storm and save the children commercials.
Pages: [1]   Go Up