LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new to the bass(please read)  (Read 4428 times)

Offline basspassion26

• LGM Member

new to the bass(please read)
« on: August 31, 2004, 11:20:02 PM »
Hello everyone, I just wanted to say hello to all the people who play the bass, much love to you.  I just started playing the bass a month ago, and I am progressing pretty well, however at times it can get discouraging when I hear something and can't play it, but I never give up.  I was wondering how long do you guys practice everyday, and after how long did you guys start getting good at playing the bass.  I want to play for my church someday, but until I feel confident I don't think I'll ever get the nerve to play.  Also, how long after learning the bass did you start playing for the church?  I hope to get a reply.  Thanks.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 05:38:58 PM »
Wussup, I usually don't practice as much as I need to cuz I be very busy, but it took me a few months of practice before I started playing for my church. I was scared and couldn't play that good at first, but after a while I started picking up stuff and I became the player I am today. Just stick with it and watch as many other "good" bass players you can to improve your technique.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Scolli

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 10:18:59 AM »
Hi BassPassion,

There are so many factors involved other just the length of time that you practice:
-Your natural musical ability
-The music you listen to
-the exposure to other musicians (jammin, etc)
-etc....

My advice would be practice as much as you have time for without killing your passion for playing.
I know a Brazilian bassist who started taking lessons as soon as he started playing bass. He used to practice for 6 hours a day on average and after 2 years he could play pretty much anything (including most of Jaco Pastorius' back catalog - if u ain't heard of Jaco - look him up - essential research for the aspiring bassist!).

Don't know about the US, but over here, most people just don't have that much free time!

I would recommend jammin with some supportive friends/musicians as soon as you possibly can. This will have a huge impact on your playing - they'll be able to give you tips and ideas on how to improve - plus you'll get a great buzz from actually creating something for real instead of playin along with a CD!

Hope this helps...

Offline Msmjfig

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 12:37:35 PM »
2 months after I started playing bass I started playing with the praise team at church. I improved a great deal during that time. I stopped playing with them after about a month and now it seems as though I'm not progressing as fast. It is natural to be a little apprehensive about playing for your church but just do like the nike commercial says........  JUST DO IT!!!!   I improved faster playing with the praise team than just playing to cd's.

Offline basspassion26

• LGM Member

Thanks a million
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 08:25:21 PM »
Thank you so much T Block, S colli, and msmfig for your advice, I really appreciate it.  Love, peace and passion.

Offline alliekan

• LGM Member

Bass is the thing
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 03:40:38 AM »
i play piano/ keyboard, got two years now. in january this year i started practicing bass, one of our band members just showed me the chording on the bass and i took about a week just learning that. after wards i insisted on playing a lot of bass more than piano because that was the only way i could feel what i was doing. it worked greatly for me. now i play bass or piano for our church.

the thing about bass is in the feeling. you got to feel it. you need to work on creating the atmosphere of the song mainly by the bass. inappropriate bass and the music is just spoiled. that's why i said bass is the thing!!! love to all bass players.

you need to be good at timimg, this will be very important when u want to put fillers, sugar n' spice. strum higher octaves, slide intros, ...... in it all just be free and try out all you can imagine. i guess to be the best bass player you have got to have a passion for what you are playing and also to enjoy it.

:lol:

Offline Madambassist

• LGM Member

To BassPassion26
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 08:21:05 AM »
I am a female who is also new to the bass. At first I was hesitant because there has never been a female at our church to play the bass so I was intimidated. I haven't got it all down packed yet but I am striving. It is hard with a busy schedule and all but I am determined to let it become my second nature. Almost everyone in my family are singers or musicians. I don't know if you know Simeon Baker but he is my cousin from right here in Lexington KY and one of the baddest bassist around. (You can look him up on www.artistdirect.com) We can keep each other encouraged and updated on our progress...love you and God bless ya!

Offline basspassion26

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 03:15:24 PM »
Thanks so much alliekan and madambassist for the encouragement.  Madambassist I feel the same way you used to feel, if and when I do play for my church I would probably be the first girl to play the bass for them, and because of that I know all eyes are going to be on me and I will be under a lot of scrutiny, but I'll just pray that God gives me courage, and remember that it's all for his glory.  It's so nice to know that I have so many other lady bassists to look for support.

Offline rejoice1401

• LGM Member

Steppin Out
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2004, 08:39:24 AM »
Yo, I've been playing for a few months. First time I played at church was intimadating. But I remembered this was my offering unto the Lord. And I can do all things thru Christ that strengthens me.

Just play for the greater Glory of the Lord. Neither male nor female in the kingdom of God.

God Bless

Offline basspassion26

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2004, 10:01:50 PM »
Thanks rejoice1401, I will keep that in mind, when I play.

Offline glasshand

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 10:56:29 AM »
Even though I played guitar for years, I was paranoid about playing bass in my church even though I volunteered.

When did I start? Our worship leader had me playing the day after I bought my bass... No rehearsal, no nothing. And know what? I'm still here.  Just practice, pray, take a deep breath and JUMP ON IN!!!!!

peace out.

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 11:17:07 AM »
Quote from: glasshand
When did I start? Our worship leader had me playing the day after I bought my bass... No rehearsal, no nothing. And know what? I'm still here.  Just practice, pray, take a deep breath and JUMP ON IN!!!!!

peace out.

AMEN!  I agree.  Your story sounds similar to mine.  Oh and by the way, welcome to LGM.

Offline dperry

• LGM Member

You have to start sometime
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 01:03:55 PM »
See if they will let you sit on choir rehearsals.  You will get a good feel for the how the other musicians work together.  If the keyboard/organ player is supportive, he/she will bring you in and guide you through some of the rough spots, even if it means handing notes or directions to you.  Your desire and understanding that it is about God will see you through.

I started playing about a year ago.  I have found that the way to get better is to play with others (real people)  always playing with a CD or the Radio will not get you there.

Play from the heart and God will bless you for it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up